Republica Empanada - Empanadas and More

2014 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
MyLifeOnVacatio

5 years ago

Since opening on the outskirts of Downtown Mesa earlier this year, Republica Empanada has quickly become my go-to spot for a quick take-away lunch or a fast casual weekday dinner and weekend lunch. The empanadas are fantastic (how do they get the dough so perfect that it's not greasy at all?!), both those that feature meat (pernil! chicken! boriqua!!), those that don't (achiote, bean & cheese, greek), and those that are sweet (fig cheese & caramel, guava or plantain and cheese, Ruiz's pieces).

Doing empanadas as well as they do would be enough, but that's not all they do well. The Arroz con Pollo is as delicious as it is beautiful. Gallo Pinto brought back taste memories of Costa Rica (and cheaper than airfare - ha). The maduros are sweet, caramelized and addictive. Yucca Frita are a unique tasty side. Soup is homey and extremely satisfying (albondigas special one weekend was spectacular). And keep your eyes on the specials board for things like Costa Rican and Oaxacan Tamales, special empanada flavors, soup specials, etc.

I'm so happy to nominate Republica Empanada to be FNA!

Main discussion thread:
Republica Empanada

Republica Empanada
204 East 1st Avenue
Mesa, AZ 85210
http://www.republicaempanada.com
Lunchbox

5 years ago

I second this wholeheartedly. Love this place!
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
M_L

5 years ago

Oh man do I love this place. I wish I got out here more. It is probably my favorite food place of the year after AZ. The portions are perfect small enough to have a few to try a couple different things big enough to fill you up. They have everything covered. I have been extremely pleased every time I have gone here.
BarbaraToombs

5 years ago

Yes yes YES! Love this place, and love that, when I last went, I realized it's only a 10-minute drive from work. Which makes me realize I need to get here more often. Those maduros...mmm.....
ScottofStrand

5 years ago

Finally made it here last week. This place oozes Food Nerd Approved. Love it!
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Republica Empanada has been named to the 2014 Food Nerd Approved list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com