Miu's Cuisine - Sichuan and Cantonese

2014 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
PHXeater

5 years ago

Miu's will not win any award for ambiance with its bunker like setting and fluorescent lighting, but what it lacks in sunlight it makes up for in the food. Before my first visit to Miu's I thought Sichuan food was a bad Americanized Chinese dish. The first foodnik Friday I went to was eye opening. I felt like I had finally found my people! (err...my food?).

Between the water boiled fish, dan dan noodles, yu xiang eggplant, and spicy lamb ribs I had my order DOWN before I had to move. I also wondered, is all Sichuan food this extraordinary? Have I been missing this delicacy all my life? Unfortunately, not all Sichuan food is this good. I've now explored legit Sichuan places on a few work trips to New York and here in OC, and I can confidently say Miu's is, especially for Phoenix, extraordinary. Miu's flavors are always spot on, the perfect amount of numbing tingle and spice without letting the spice be a one note flavor.

Although I'm sad to be living in Newport beach and away from Miu's - well only sad about the Miu's part ;) - I hope we can at least make this place a FNA

Main discussion thread:
Miu's Cuisine - Killer Cantonese/Sichuan in Tempe

Miu's Cuisine
2314 E. Apache Boulevard
Tempe, AZ 85281
480-966-3098

(image shamelessly stolen from Miu's thread)
mrln242

5 years ago

I second this one. Mius is much better than many other restaurants that gain some sort of recognition. Everything Ive had has made my mouth tingle in such an awesome way and its always a great experience.
chrislee

5 years ago

I 3rd Miu's. Unfortunately it lacks the greatness of its original opening where the Cantonese was top in the valley in addition to the Sichuan. But we still go and the Sichuan has been consistently good for us.
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Yeah, the Cantonese, while fine, is a big step down from where it was when they first opened. But even if you pretend that the Cantonese half of the menu doesn't exist, Miu's is still a total shoo-in. Before Miu's, Sichuan in Phoenix was mostly lackluster and inconsistent. But this opening was the very definition of raising the bar. On top of which, there are all kinds of awesome PHXfn memories tied up with its discovery and the swarm that ensued :-)

Yes to Miu's!
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
Mike Z

5 years ago

Thumbs up for Mui's. Still thinking about the eggplant, water boiled fish, dan dan noodles, and even the cukes!
PHXeater

5 years ago

Oh yeah, I'm definitely nominating the Sichuan part. Plus the PFN events there were epic marathons of eating. Hat off to Dom for literally ordering every menu item possible for the largest foodnik Friday's ever. As ill advised as those marathon sessions might have been!
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

You may all refer to it as the second Miu's outing. I refer to it as "rock bottom."

(For me, not Miu's)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
BarbaraToombs

5 years ago

Heartily support this, and need to get back there!!! (Haven't been since our epic events!)
Christina

5 years ago

Love Miu's!
MyLifeOnVacatio

5 years ago

Still can't believe I missed the crab from that second Epic Miu's Lunch. Sigh....but despite that, we enjoyed many wonderful meals here last year and it has been such fun exploring and learning more about Sichuan cuisine. This is an excellent nomination and such a great addition to the Valley's culinary scene.
LaPan

5 years ago

Sichuan FTW
Desert Gal

5 years ago

Miu's has my vote! I may not know Sichuan dishes from Cantonese, but I know the dishes I've tried there are delicious. Dam, now I want to go there for lunch today....
Tim H

5 years ago

Miu's has become a favorite restaurant of my wife and mine, so +2 from us. We order four or five dishes every time we go just for the leftovers. We'd never have heard about it if not for PHXfoodnerds, so +2 for this community as well.
There is nothing either good or bad but gravy makes it so. - Kevin Hearne
ScottofStrand

5 years ago

Miu's has become a go-to recommendation when people ask where to eat in the East Valley. It definitely opened my eyes a bit this year and upped the Szechuan game in town. +1
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Miu's Cuisine has been named to the 2014 Food Nerd Approved list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic