Beaver Choice - Scandanavian, Polish and Canadian

2014 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
ScottofStrand

5 years ago

Looking back on 2013, there were lots of great bites and meals. One restaurant that consistently delivered lots of wow moments for me was Beaver Choice. The mild gravlax with the sweet and tangy mustard sauce was a surprise. The simply prepared poutine, which I couldn't stop eating. The side dishes? Even those are memorable. Green beans have no right to be that delicious! The cole slaw should be for sale by the bucket.
Shnitzel Codon Bleu.jpg
Schnitzel Cordon-Bleu
Shnitzel Codon Bleu.jpg (129.04 KiB) Viewed 3545 times
The Schnitzel Cordon-Bleu was a knockout. Pefectly crispy crust, salty ham and creamy melted brie. Also, a mushroom sauce that I loved(and I don't even like mushrooms)! One of my top ten bites of 2013!

I've taken lots of family and friends to Beaver Choice, and they have all had great experiences. One friend loves their mixed sausage plate. Another friend can't stop talking about the Beaver Supreme Dessert.

I think Hannah and Beaver Choice deliver on simple, great food, with friendly service. Which is why I'm nominating them for FNA!

The Beaver Choice Thread!

Beaver Choice
http://www.beaverchoice.com
745 W. Baseline Road
Mesa, AZ 85210
480-921-3137
MyLifeOnVacatio

5 years ago

I concur! Their gravlax is wonderful as well. And potato salad is actually called "creamy dill potatoes", which is much more appropriately descriptive and it is delicious. Beaver Balls for dessert; who can say no??
BarbaraToombs

5 years ago

That's a +1 from me, too! I heartily agree on the cole slaw...I even ordered a couple pounds of it to go for a pool party I had last summer! All great stuff...keep telling myself I need to get back there...soon...with a bigger crowd, so we can sample more (I only went to lunch there with PHXeater, and there was only so much damage she and I could do!) Their "Beaver Supreme" dessert is KILLER...and I'm not all that much of a dessert fan, either.
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Love this nomination! There are so many dishes here that I love, chief among them the gravlax, the frikadeller, the elk stew, the beaver cookies, and... well, gosh, just about all of the sides. It's unique, it's run from the heart, the food is delicious, and Hanna and crew are delightful. Both beloved and irreplaceable. Perfect FNA candidate. +1 from me!
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
mrln242

5 years ago

So my wifes German and well yeah theres that.
When we went the food was flat, flavorless and pretty mediocre at best. I wanted to be blown away but was not, and B was not happy at al with our dishes. The poutine is a complex paradox to me and not really all that note worthy, schnitzel you can't really mess up. The gravy's and sauces weren't at all noteworthy. the Lox was okay, the garlic sausage was okay. I mean Im not convinced by this one.
chrislee

5 years ago

I only ate here once but I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since. Definitely support this nom too!
LaPan

5 years ago

I have to admit, I only have visited BC once. And while the owner was out of town. About 50% of the meal was superb. The mains especially. The sides were about 50/50 for me. I had taken pictures with notes but they got lost along the way, sorry. And the dessert was tasty yet crazy expensive (once again, do we disregard price and just judge on the rest?). And, with the owner gone, their signature dessert was unavailable. I'm surprised she hadn't trained someone else to make it.

While I'll be visiting again to try some different items, it wouldn't be a place I'd recommend forthright.
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Beaver Choice has been named to the 2014 Food Nerd Approved list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com