Pig & Pickle - Meaty, Creative Comfort Food

2013 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
azhotdish

6 years ago

Who said the market for "elevated comfort food" was over-saturated? I think Pig & Pickle is proof that when straight-forward, humble dishes are well-executed, people want to eat your food.

For what little I know of Keenan & Josh, I get the sense that these are guys who just want to cook killer food and have everyone have a good time. This feels like a restaurant of a chef who's cooking for people who just like to eat without too much fuss - simple food, good beer, good cocktails.

My Scandinavian family never did pickles this well - it's shameful, really. $4 here gets you a plate of always-rotating pickles of multiple varieties - cucumbers, carrots, onions, grapes - all excellent.

Tot of the day - chefs are more likely to go home and eat frozen tater tots than they are a slab of foie gras - this is just the facts. So while it's not technically a tot, I think the daily riff is both playful and delicious.

Bone marrow - too few people do it, and it's a real shame. All it requires is good bread, the meat butter, and a counter-point. Check, check and check.

I reserved my nomination for Pig & Pickle because it feels humble, it feels honest, and is definitely one of my favorite new additions to the scene in 2012.

pork liver and caramelized onion smear, pickled fennel

braised pork belly, yam puree, brussels sprouts slaw and blis maple

wood oven roasted bone marrow, crostini, onions

a board of house made charcuterie

pickled things

croque madame-toasted ham and gruyere with 2 eggs and mornay

duck ham salad, bitter greens, pears, cranberries, walnuts

braised pork leg, butter beans, baby tomatoes and arugula

Pig & Pickle Discussion Thread:
Pig & Pickle

Pig & Pickle
www.pigandpickle.com
2922 N. Hayden Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
480-990-1407
---
Joel
@azhotdish
chrislee

6 years ago

I am super glad you nom'ed them, Joel. I've only been once & it was for a birthday party we put on for Heather & Stu's dad.

From just that visit though, I totally got the "all you could want in a place feeling."

Excellent food, great drinks, great value, personable passionate people, open late, varied menu (from a quick, cheap bite to more elevated fare). I just don't see how Pig & Pickle cannot become a neighborhood favorite and a food nerd standby.

I'm sorry I haven't had the bone marrow yet but I often find myself thinking of their pork shoulder tostada & the pork belly salad they did for my dairy/egg allergic 8 year old.

While they are brand new & I've only been once, my gut tells me they're a lock to keep crushing it & are definitely FNA worthy.
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

If I were to express any reservations here, it would simply be due to the newness of the place. But you know, we're pretty new too :-) And I think the stunning volume of praise that's emerged on this board even in that short time wipes away any reservations I have on that count. I love this place as much for the style as the food... as you say, it just has that "couple of chefs wanting to make stuff they like for their friends" kind of vibe, and only good things come out of that.

That, and I kind of feel like a $0 upcharge to add bacon to a vegan burger is an automatic win of epic proportions :-)

They're still green, but P&P has my support for FNA.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
cactuschowdah

6 years ago

This is another place that seems to be made for the FNA award- great local hangout with amazing food that more people need to know about. I fully support this nomination, and can't wait to go back
BillBuitenhuys

6 years ago

I've been to P&P five times now and have really enjoyed each visit.

The food has been stellar (remember that these are the chefs that got such high acclaim in earlier Atlas Bistro comments), service is spot on for a relaxed place, and the whole vibe is very welcoming.

Pork tostada with kimchee, marrow, pork leg, duck confit, pork belly, tater tots, pot roast Sammie, tri tip, are just some of the dishes I've loved. Not a fan of the charcuterie plate but that has been the only negative in an overwhelming list of positives.
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Pig & Pickle has been named to the 2013 Food Nerd Approved list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com