ShinBay - Japanese Fine Dining

2013 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
chrislee

6 years ago

Ok, for my nomination I have to go Shinbay. Many others of the absolutely required have been submitted so I cannot leave Shinbay out.

I'm hoping it gets the support it deserves because it is a phenomenal spot and a gem for AZ. It is definitely pricey to go and do it right so I'm guessing that it will always have less pub than some of our other finest. I know we haven't been able to go back as often as we'd have liked to have. That being said, it's just awesome.

We had gone to the Shinbay of old and had wonderful meals there so I had always kept my ears open for news of Shinji Kurita over the years. When I heard he was opening up again and in Scottsdale even, I couldn't have been more excited.

When we went, we were not let down. So many great courses. Such excellent composition of dishes. Amazing wagyu. Love the homemade tofu. And my favorite was the phenomenal sushi course. Heather and I being Japanese food nuts, this is probably our favorite meal in town.

If I could eat anything at all at a given time, most often I'd probably go with the Shinbay sushi course.

ShinBay Discussion Threads:
ShinBay - Stunning Japanese Fine Dining
Favorite Sushi!

ShinBay
www.shinbay.com
7001 N. Scottsdale Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85253
480-664-0180
ScottofStrand

6 years ago

So happy to see Shinbay nominated. I don't go out for pricey dinner's often, but when I do my expectations are pretty high. Shinbay delivered one of my top 3 dining experiences of all time. It really is that good.

The thread on Shinbay

ShinBay
http://www.shinbay.com
7001 N. Scottsdale Road
Scottsdale, AZ 85253
480-664-0180
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

shinbaysashimi-xl.jpg
Sashimi
shinbaysashimi-xl.jpg (61 KiB) Viewed 3270 times
There's some commentary on ShinBay in this thread as well:

Favorite Sushi!

I've been twice and I'm completely stunned by this place. For their first year of existence, it made me angry that more people weren't taking notice for anything other than reservation quirks. To have a place operating at this level suddenly spring out of the desert is nothing short of astounding, and though they've deserved top billing right along with the city's other fine dining restaurants seemingly from day one, for reasons I may never understand it's been a struggle for them to gain that recognition, and nearly two years into their existence they still don't get the credit they deserve. I'm glad we're not among the holdouts.

Also, I love that ShinBay is yet another counterexample to the idiotic "you can't get good seafood in the desert" meme.

FNA, yes, yes, yes.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
Dapuma

6 years ago

mrs D's fav place in AZ and one of my fav tasting menus, there were no weak spots or misses every course wAs excellent
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

ShinBay has been named to the 2013 Food Nerd Approved list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com