2013 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
Skillet Doux

Andreoli Italian Grocer - Traditional Italian

Post by Skillet Doux » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:11 am

Andreoli Italian Grocer - *Italian* Italian
andreolignochetti.jpg
Gnochetti alla Romana
andreolignochetti.jpg (63.87 KiB) Viewed 5768 times
To me -- and I don't think I'm alone in this assessment (or I wouldn't be nominating them) -- this is the kind of simple, satisfying, full-flavored but humble standard to which all neighborhood Italian restaurants should aspire.
andreolipancetta.jpg
House-Cured Pancetta
andreolipancetta.jpg (55.58 KiB) Viewed 5768 times
I'm not knocking East Coast-style Italian-American. I love a good red sauce place as much as the next guy. Probably more. But restaurants like that are a dime a dozen. It's a rare thing to find an Italian restaurant in the States serving Italian food that Italians would recognize as Italian. It's rarer still when that food is made with top-flight ingredients, local or imported as quality dictates. It's rarer still when those ingredients are not only procured, but just as often skillfully handcrafted in-house by a culinary jack-of-all-trades who cures his own meats, bakes his own bread, produces his own fresh cheeses and does his own pastry. It's rarer still when that culinary jack-of-all-trades transforms those ingredients into a stunning and ever-changing array of perfectly crafted traditional Italian dishes that sing with the same joy that they do in la madrepatria. And it's rarer still when those dishes are served in a comfortable, casual place, free of unnecessary trappings, where the family behind the counter is as authentic -- both in bloodline and disposition -- as the foods they produce.

As such, it is my pleasure to submit Andreoli Italian Grocer for Food Nerd Approved consideration.
andreolivongole.jpg
Spaghetti alle Vongole
andreolivongole.jpg (58.6 KiB) Viewed 5768 times
There are few at this point who would quibble, I think, with the truly exceptional quality of the food. From stunning whole grilled fish, to meltaway gnocchi, to hearty meat sauces, to simple and restrained pastas, to luscious cured meats, to fabulous marinated vegetables, to the crust of that bread -- I could go on. It embodies the soul of Italian cuisine, that of the best possible ingredients, simply but deftly prepared and allowed to speak for themselves without overcomplication. And more impressive, the white board is like an endless font of traditional Italian dishes, constantly changing, rarely a week that goes by without a few new items, always a fresh offering even for regular visitors. Giovanni Scorzo is a truly gifted cook with a keen sense for the very best ingredients and an encyclopedic knowledge of how to best bring out their inner beauty.
andreolifusilligranchio.jpg
Fusilli al Granchio
andreolifusilligranchio.jpg (51.82 KiB) Viewed 5768 times
What's more, the character of Andreoli is decidedly unique, at once Arizona and old world Italy, a neighborhood fixture where there's almost always a table full of Italians sipping espresso and yelling at a soccer match on TV. It's a family business -- a family that came from abroad and has made Phoenix its home -- refreshingly genuine in an industry too often masked by a false, servile facade. And families are also their day-to-day audience, befriended and welcomed, seemingly comprising the bulk of the clientele on weeknights.
andreolitrippa.jpg
Trippa alla Fiorentina
andreolitrippa.jpg (62.18 KiB) Viewed 5768 times
The excellence and character of Andreoli has not been lost on the PHXfoodnerds community. A lengthy thread has produced a substantial number of raves:
golbsalt wrote:Delicious bordering on ethereal - yes, especially if you have a soft spot for hand crafted Italian. Every time I stop here, this place takes me back to my earliest culinary roots as a 19 yr old learning to cook from the old Italian ladies in my Brooklyn neighborhood.
gritsnyc wrote:So I made it over to Andreoli's for a late lunch today. And I loved it before I even ordered my sandwich -- you can check my Twitter feed to see why. What I left out: the boys were trying to pair me off with the busboy by the time I left, despite my obvious pregnancy and wedding ring. Hilarious.
kennyz wrote:Andreoli's spaghetti alla vongole rivaled the best I've ever had. Pristine clams were plump and delicious, and their flavor fully permeated the otherwise simple butter sauce. A little garlic. A little parsley. Perfect balance. Mouth-watering perfection.
Dapuma wrote:[Regarding the sfogliatelle] Verdict: AWESOME - one of the best pasteries I have had outside of Paris, Very simple with the flavors but all done really well, lemon and orange zest light accents to the bread puddingish interior with a chewy bread wrapping and a crispy exterior...
BarbaraToombs wrote:I really enjoyed this one...everything we had was outstanding. Highlights in my book were the ravioli, the calamari, and, surprisingly, the potatoes and leeks. I could have easily eaten an entire plate of leeks prepared like that on their own!
uhockey wrote:...this place is doing things very right and deserves every bit of the praise they get here and elsewhere.
Pato wrote:As many posts have noted it is expensive, but as many posts have noted I cannot think of their equal in the valley.
ericeatsout wrote:I know you already said it, but Andreoli is *amazing.*
...and recent outings have met with great success.
andreolivitellotonnato.jpg
Vitello Tonnato
andreolivitellotonnato.jpg (48.28 KiB) Viewed 5768 times
Andreoli is a true gem of the Phoenix food scene, with atmosphere and character, and no shortage of fans in our community. Should you agree, I urge you to voice your support.
andreolibranzino.jpg
Branzino alla Griglia
andreolibranzino.jpg (47.65 KiB) Viewed 5768 times
Andreoli Italian Grocer Discussion Threads:
Andreoli Italian Grocer
North Scottsdale recs

Andreoli Italian Grocer
www.andreoli-grocer.com
8880 E. Via Linda
Scottsdale, AZ 85258
480-614-1980
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
BarbaraToombs

Re: Andreoli Italian Grocer - *Italian* Italian

Post by BarbaraToombs » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:23 am

Absolutely a must for FNA! Everything about this place impressed me...just wish I lived or worked closer to it!
chrislee

Post by chrislee » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:31 am

Definitely support Andreoli. Big, big fan.

I just want to break into Giovanni's inner circle so he shares the secret goods. Still a long ways away from that I think. :D
uhockey

Post by uhockey » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:32 pm

This is a no brainer. Another of those "would be equally awesome in ANY major US market" kind of spots.
cactuschowdah

Post by cactuschowdah » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:31 am

I would be shocked if anyone on the board would disagree that this needs to have an FNA.
Dapuma

Post by Dapuma » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:46 pm

+1
BillBuitenhuys

Post by BillBuitenhuys » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:01 pm

Resounding yes (*mumble* even though I've only been once)
PHXeater

Post by PHXeater » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:24 pm

Agreed on all points made, yes!
-- Liz
Erin

Post by Erin » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:49 am

This gets a big +1 from me! Love this place.
golbsalt

Post by golbsalt » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:54 pm

big love from me early on here and almost from the day they opened as a patron. the old sicilian that introduced me to this place passed away three years ago this week.... +1 feels almost like a bit of an understatement, so here's another +1 for the nostalgia factor. :)
blog.golbsalt.com - "happiness IS just a lick away!"
@_go_lb_salt_ or @fhmarket
azhotdish
Site Admin

Post by azhotdish » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:01 pm

I certainly did not grow up eating Italian food, nor did I grow up eating offal, but I submit that the trippa alla fiorentina from Andreoli is one of the best and most simplistic dishes that I've had in my 30 yrs on this planet. In fact, until I had that dish, I'd only had tripe in menudo, so I had no idea how other cultures treated it. From the simply grilled calamari to the more "mainstream" sandwiches, they nail it on all levels. Pass the fries and leeks.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
Skillet Doux

Re: Andreoli Italian Grocer - Traditional Italian

Post by Skillet Doux » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:04 am

Andreoli Italian Grocer has been named to the 2013 Food Nerd Approved list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com