Crudo - Italian-Inspired Sashimi and Piatti

2013 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
Erin

6 years ago

Crudo (take 2)

I agree with cactuschowdah- there is no way we can let this gem go without a nomination!

Every bite of food I have had there has been delicious. The menu is divided into four sections; Crudo(Italian style sashimi), Cotto(Cooked), Mozza(Mozzarellas), and Griglia(Grilled meats). The simplicity of the preparations highlighted the seasonal fresh ingredients. I might have an addiction to Romesco sauce after having their grilled mozzarella course. :)

I have only been to their new location which I found to be quite simple and elegant. Everyone else I've talked to seems to agree that the food and ambiance at Crudo is great; it has a lot of positive support from our PHX food nerd community.

Crudo Discussion Thread:
Crudo

Crudo
www.crudoaz.com
3603 E. Indian School Road
Phoenix, AZ 85018
602-358-8666
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

Hear, hear! LOVE this place. Great nomination! Black ink risotto was the best I've had outside Venice!
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

*phew*... glad somebody picked this up.

To avoid confusion, I'm going to remove the first nomination, so for posterity, here are the comments cactuschowdah already made:
cactuschowdah wrote:Crudo. Can't say that I ever went to "the old space" in the salon in Scottsdale, so I can't say if things are better or worse than that, but I can say the place is excellent. Not only do they have great food and great service, they have a great bar and cocktail program. I've only been once, but based on the reviews, it sounds like my experience was representative of what happens there all the time. I've had one of the best dishes of my life and it was so simple- mushrooms with egg (I'm sure there were a bunch of other stuff in there obviously).
crudopigears.jpg
Crispy Pig Ears
crudopigears.jpg (53.33 KiB) Viewed 5255 times
As for myself, speaking as a fan of this place since the early days back in the salon when Cullen and Brandon were cooking out of that little nook of a kitchen and serving up killer crudi surrounded by plastic jewelry and other tchotchkes, I'm a full-throated supporter of this nomination. I confess, I miss the quirkiness of the old space (I'm probably the only one), but their success in the new space is so well-deserved and so overdue. And the addition of Micah and the bar just makes it that much more of a local gem.

I'd also note that of the nine folks who posted in the Ten Tastes of Twenty-Twelve thread, a third mentioned dishes from Crudo.

Big thumbs up. I'd love to see Crudo listed among the Food Nerd Approved.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
chrislee

6 years ago

Huge, huge fans of Crudo. We actually haven't been to the new location as it's farther and we're always dragging 3 little kids with us but we went to the last location all the time. When it was over there, it was often quiet and we could sneak in with the kids, not cause too much ruckus, get amazing food that the whole family adored & get out.

It's still one of my kids' favorite restaurants and ours as well. We dearly miss all the crudos (butterfish, albacore, etc.), the mushroom/mozzarella/egg dish, the risotto and the veal breast. Just thinking about these dishes & all the other wonderful ones we've had, I'm feeling very guilty for not getting to the new location yet. See there are new things on the menu that we need to try as well.

I think it'd be a crime if Crudo was left off the FNAs.
M_L

6 years ago

I really enjoy the place my GF not so much so I do not get there as much as I would like to but man the couple times I have been were stellar. I am pretty much a sucker for pig parts and those ears are exactly what I look for. I would be in favor of the place based on those alone. But the joy does not stop there the MOZZ section is pretty awesome (and the GF favorite part) we liked it so much we have a second round of it for dessert.

I am all for this place.
uhockey

6 years ago

I'll probably never go back considering the food was competent, but certainly not wowing in the same context as other equally priced restaurants in the Valley. Perhaps my expectations were high and the service particularly lousy that night, but of all the places I've heard people rave on this site 'crudo' was by far the lease rave worthy
cactuschowdah

6 years ago

I assume I don't need to raise my hand to vote "yes" based on the fact I'm a dummy and don't read directions vis-a-vis the whole "you can only pick 1 place" rule, and (illegally) nominated this place. But since I should assume nothing (see "dummy" above), 1 more enthusiastic thumbs up for an FNA for Crudo!
BillBuitenhuys

6 years ago

Love love Crudo. Resounding +1
Dapuma

6 years ago

One of two places in the city you can get good to great food and an excellent cocktail, the other being CPH

Very hard to find places that hit both those boxes for me - so big +1 for me

Based on the Crispy Pig Ears / Squid Ink Tuna (please offer the addition of double / triple tuna in this dish...i always want more protein in it) and the cocktails...along with everything else

Am I the only one that wants a few more huge hunks of tuna on top of that risotto?
themis

6 years ago

Dapuma wrote:One of two places in the city you can get good to great food and an excellent cocktail, the other being CPH

Very hard to find places that hit both those boxes for me - so big +1 for me
Exactly. One of the friendliest places in town and definitely FNA. Big flavors, big attention to detail. I was happy to eat Chef Campbell's food when he was in a hair salon, but the new space is so warm and inviting-! This is one place I like so much I'll sneak there with friends when my husband's out of town, and not tell him. Sometimes you just need to treat yourself, you know?
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

Dapuma wrote:Am I the only one that wants a few more huge hunks of tuna on top of that risotto?
I certainly would like to try it that way! But I love the traditional black ink risotto just on its own, mainly...call me a purist! :)
Christina

6 years ago

BillBuitenhuys wrote:Love love Crudo. Resounding +1
Ditto.
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Crudo has been named to the 2013 Food Nerd Approved list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com