Citizen Public House - Refined Pub & Cocktails

2013 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
Dapuma

6 years ago

Khyber has their nomination, I don't go to Shinbay enough to nominate them...although they deserve one

CPH consistently makes top notch cocktails, their Manhatten is the best

They have a great pork belly pastrami app, along with the Stetson chopped salad

Not sure if they make the desserts in house or Tracy does them but they are excellent, and the main courses during dinner service are quite good, their fish of the day is pret fantastic at times...plus you have barrel aged cocktails and R+D upstairs

And Mrs D loves their BLT

$5 barrel aged cocktails for happy hour as well

I am iPad only during moving if someone can post pics etc

Citizen Public House Discussion Threads:
Citizen Public House
“Revenge of the Pig” - Citizen Public House

Citizen Public House
www.citizenpublichouse.com
7111 E. 5th Avenue
Scottsdale, AZ 85251
480-398-4208
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Here's the main thread...

Citizen Public House

...though at the moment, there's actually more discussion in the "Revenge of the Pig" dinner thread:

“Revenge of the Pig” - Citizen Public House

And I suppose this is kind of obligatory, right?
cphchoppedsalad.jpg
The Original Chopped Salad
cphchoppedsalad.jpg (58.87 KiB) Viewed 6012 times
:-)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
uhockey

6 years ago

044 - Citizen Public House (13).JPG
chix n' waffles
044 - Citizen Public House (13).JPG (34.47 KiB) Viewed 5972 times
Maybe the almond butter? Maybe the honey? Maybe the best fried chicken in town? Pretty damned good waffle, too.
044 - Citizen Public House (29).JPG
Black n' Tan
044 - Citizen Public House (29).JPG (31.8 KiB) Viewed 5972 times
My mother's favorite dessert of 2012 - she still talks about it now - and since Tracy Dempsey doesn't have her own 'place' to get nominated for an FNA I'll just put it here...this thing was ridiculous.

I always forget about Citizen and I shouldn't.....it is a 'gastropub' that would not be outclassed in any US City.
PHXeater

6 years ago

I'm on the iPad as well (damn IT issues) but I have to strongly support this pick. Themis mentions her "mother in law test" and this definitely can pass it (unless MIL doesnt like somewhat louder restaurants). Well I had some guests in town who are notoriously hard to please who I took here last Saturday. They got treated fabulously, loved the place and THE salad, while we loved the food and cocktails, and we actually ended up back there the night before they left - Tuesday.

I can't say how refreshing it is to have found a place where we're all happy and to have steered them away from Houston's/PF Changs/RA. Even if they didn't love CPH I do and will be happy to report more in the thread once I have a functioning computer back.
cactuschowdah

6 years ago

Yep, another solid choice. One thing that I wasn't as aware of is their ridiculous happy hour deal- half price glasses of wine, beer, and those amazing barrel-aged cocktails for 5 bucks. Add in a decent array of cheap munchies (all I've had is the rosemary roasted nuts where were wonderful) this is a no-brainer to start your night if you're dining elsewhere in Old Town.
chrislee

6 years ago

Definitely support CPH as well. I'm not a big drinker but some of the best cocktails around. And we definitely enjoy the food as well. The pork belly pastrami and chopped salad should be enough to get them in on their own!
M_L

6 years ago

Never had a bad anything here. The GF loves to just run in and get a Chopped and maybe another item or two. She craves that salad I just go for whatever catches my eye. I went for Restaurant week a year or two ago with a group of people and we had a pretty darn fantastic outing got to try a large portion of the menu and that made for some excellent times. Good choice.
BillBuitenhuys

6 years ago

This is our go-to restaurant, hands down. I know I can bring anyone here from a picky eater to a culinary adventurist and they would leave happy.

We went there last night with our son, visiting from MA.
We had meatloaf (Bernie's meatloaf is the best I've had anywhere...sorry Mom), scallops (sushi grade, perfectly seared, med-rare), and short rib (one of the meatiest, most flavorful in town).

And the cocktails, all made for us by co-owner/mixologist Rich Moe, were incredible as always.
Christina

6 years ago

Add me to the chorus. Some favorites are the chicken and waffles and meatloaf, though my go-to order is the pastrami. And of course the excellent cocktails.

Lunchbox

6 years ago

I have a friend on Facebook from back home who has parents who have a place in Scottsdale, she posted a picture on her wall thanking Pinterest for Bernie's "Original Chopped Salad" recipe... When you have people from other states trying to recreate your dishes, you've got to be doing something right. And I think CPH does just that...
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
M_L

6 years ago

Lunchbox wrote:I have a friend on Facebook from back home who has parents who have a place in Scottsdale...
You mothers cousins uncles friends former roommates dog did what to who for how many cookies?
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

I'm a little mixed on CPH... They opened really strong, but the food's been kind of hit and miss on my last 3-4 visits. But then I think, hey, there's the pork belly pastrami and a killer chopped salad and a couple of other dishes I really enjoy, and maybe that excellent cocktail program puts it over the top. I'm on the fence.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
azhotdish

6 years ago

I don't think I've had anything new in 2012 at Citizen that I didn't have in 2011 - take that how you will. I'm in a comfort zone with them, which I don't think is a bad thing at all - meatloaf or scallops, those are pretty much my picks. And a Manhattan. So for me, CPH is a safe pick - the menu doesn't change very much, so unless I'm craving one of those two things, it's usually a cocktail location only. But we've had family dinners there, date night, cocktails, and always left happy. So I'm into it, I just don't see the progression.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Citizen Public House has been named to the 2013 Food Nerd Approved list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic