Phoenix Knife House - Fine Knives and Kitchen Supplies

2013 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
M_L

6 years ago

I carefully considered doing several places but thought best to stray a little and stretch the wings of our program a bit so to speak. As I am certain all of you are aware we are not restricted to restaurants in so much as it does not specifically say so and as an attorney I reserve the right to interpret the rules how I see fit. I also considered doing my beloved Standard Restaurant Supply or one our many amazing Farmer's Markets/Farms/CSA's but ultimately landed on this one.

"Though it is a given that all Food Nerd Approved establishments create or are involved in the creation of excellent food, Food Nerd Approved differs from a typical "Best Of..." designation in that it is not simply an an empirical measure of excellence, but rather it denotes on a very personal level the places that have captured the adoration of this community of Phoenix-based food enthusiasts." (emphasis added) You may also argue that there is no specific topic designated for The Phoenix Knife House but I would disagree as that topic generally discusses it and steers people there for advice especially on Japanese style knives.

In my eye The Phoenix Knife House or PKH typifies this excellence. I am guessing if I called for a show of hands of those who cook, chef's included, not too many of us would be able to raise our hands and say we can sharpen our knives let alone sharpen them well. PKH is a vital and integral part of the food community and provides quick, impeccable, precise, and reasonable service no matter who you are. A novice like myself or a top flight chef. For my time vs cost analysis it is not even a passing concern.

Their new location has really allowed them the space to expand and make things work better. So much so that Eytan is now offering sharpening courses of which I attended the first. It is a true resource to have someone with such a great knowledge of knives and what they are made from and the options available to help guide you in a purchase. He has a pretty amusing spiel he gives to first time visitors about how things work in his shop. He will try to steer people from knives that he does not think they will use. Certainly he has his knife bias' (such as his dislike of knives with big bolsters) but he really does seem to want to make certain the customer is not only getting something they want but one that will be best for them to use and be happy with.

If for some reason you have not been go and check it out to see what you have been missing, I suggest you leave your wallet in the car or you may end up walking out with some new hardware.

I humbly submit for you consideration:
The Phoenix Knife House

Store Hours:
Monday to Friday 10am - 6pm
Saturday 11am - 5pm -Sunday CLOSED

***If for some reason it is determined that this establishment does not meet the criteria sent forth previously in THE RULES then I reserve the right to retract said nomination and set forth a new one***
(Though it should not be as I know a lot of you send your knives to day care here.)

Phoenix Knife House Discussion Threads:
Knife Sharpening [Phoenix Knife House]
Japanese Knives [+Phoenix Knife House]
Knife Sharpening Class [Phoenix Knife House]

Phoenix Knife House
www.phoenixknifehouse.com
4837 E. Indian School Road
Phoenix, AZ 85018
480-946-2758
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

I'll weigh in later, but I just wanted to clarify that that this is precisely the reason for the "...and other food-related establishments ..." portion of the guidelines. I don't want to say that somebody can't push it too far, but we wanted to allow the flexibility for just such a nomination, and I'm really glad somebody decided to go in that direction.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
chrislee

6 years ago

I fully support Phoenix Knife House. I've been following Eytan since he first opened on Indian School Road and have bought many, many knives from him.

I love the fact that he is looking out for the consumer. He's not trying to sell his most high end knives. He is trying to get customers what they want/need. I've always queried him on value and he steered me toward awesome knives that were not too expensive. We love our Takayuki chef knife, our Misono paring knife and our Fujiwara petty. We've helped at least 4 or 5 family members and friends equip themselves with the same set. And I don't even know how many Fujiwara petties that I've bought over the years.

I just long for the days when we have a bit more disposable income (3 little kids in the house) so we can go fancier for fancy's sake.

Eytan not only is super helpful without imposing an agenda but his customer service is fantastic. From the excellent sharpening service he provides to the guarantees he gives, it'd be pretty hard to improve upon things.

Eytan has really changed things for the community as well. In addition to being a major food nerd himself and being source of great restaurant intel, he's provided a location for the chef/cook community to congregate. So many of the folks whose food we love to eat patronize Phoenix Knife House and even hang out there. I'm always running into people there.

I think the Phoenix food community would be very much worse off if we didn't have Phoenix Knife House.
themis

6 years ago

chrislee wrote:I think the Phoenix food community would be very much worse off if we didn't have Phoenix Knife House.
-

Precisely -! In the past I've either waited until my hairstylist's sharpener brought his tinker's wagon (no joke) to town, or had my knives butchered at the monthly sharpening they do at JoAnn's Fabrics. I cannot recommend either alternative.

Seconded, thirded. It's a resource cooks and chefs need to have; but beyond that, their skill and knowledge base would be welcome in any major city. We're lucky to have them.
PHXeater

6 years ago

Agreed to all points. He actually talked me out of getting a really expensive set a couple years ago and insisted I just needed a nice chef's knife.
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Before I forget to come back to weigh in, yesyesyes. Phoenix Knife House is such a fabulous resource for the city's cooks, both professional and recreational, and I can't imagine what else I could hope for in a knife shop. My sister recently wrote me to ask if I had any knife buying advice. I told her my advice was to wait a couple of months until she came to town to visit, and I'd take her here.

Enthusiastic support for this nominee!
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
golbsalt

6 years ago

This nomination gets my hearty support with a HUGE +1!

Eytan's approach is just like the beautiful knives he purveys - decisive and understated. The education he provides in addition to the products and services are what really make his offering special.

As an aside, it is my hope that more nominations like this make it into the list for the upcoming year!
blog.golbsalt.com - "happiness IS just a lick away!"
@_go_lb_salt_ or @fhmarket
azhotdish

6 years ago

Other cities should be jealous that we have such a store within our bounds. I wish I had money to spend their on a regular basis, but I've picked up a whole bunch from there besides knives - peelers, aprons, jackets, bags, fish tweezers, you name it - at barely over wholesale prices. Dig this place a lot.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Phoenix Knife House has been named to the 2013 Food Nerd Approved list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic