Café Ga Hyang - Late-Night Glendale Korean

2013 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
andrewknoc

6 years ago

Cafe Ga Hyang - because, well, everything?

If there is any single restaurant that embodies what this entire forum is about, it's Cafe Ga Hyang. Cafe Ga Hyang has brought people together time and again for many new experiences, and I'd like to think this forum has contributed to the restaurant's success as well. This makes it a major part of our community here. The food and service is what would make it eligible to be FNA.

Most of us have said something on the thread, even if it's only to echo others' words of adoration for the Haemul Pa Jeon. If you've not read it, you're missing out.

Cafe Ga Hyang Discussion Thread:
Cafe Ga Hyang - The Holy Grail?

Cafe Ga Hyang
4362 W. Olive Avenue
Glendale, AZ 85302
623-937-8550
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Wooo!

I figured somebody would pick this one up... thanks, Andrew :-)

I love everything about this place. I love the food, from bubbling hot soondubu, to the delightfully crisp and abundant haemul pajeon, to the summer-defying refreshing chill of naeng myun, to sweet, sizzling kalbi, to the deep, full-bodied broth of the mandu guk, to the tender seafood-infused noodles of the cham pong, to the incredible freshness and variety of banchan and more. I love the odd couple thing that Nick and Sun having going, the young latin fellow stoically holding down the kitchen while the spry Korean grandma waits tables, does calisthenics and instructs you on the precise way to eat everything. I love the laid back vibe and the fact that I have about a 50% chance of running into somebody I know every time I go. And most of all, as Andrew points out, I love that Ga Hyang will always be the place I most associate with the launch of PHXfoodnerds, having shared countless meals with you guys while hatching this plan, building the site, and getting it off the ground.

If a restaurant can be considered a no-brainer for an FNA, I say surely Cafe Ga Hyang must qualify. Two enthusiastic thumbs way up in the air.

To add a little more info, here is the main discussion thread, as well as a small mention in one of the early weekend roundups:

Cafe Ga Hyang - The Holy Grail?
Weekend Roundup - 6/8 to 6/10
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
Erin

6 years ago

Ok, the fact that there are only 2 posts about this place is quite surprising. This place is a little out of the way for us, but it is well worth the hour drive to get there. I had never had real Korean food prior to a foodnik night out here, but I am now hooked. If I didn't live so far away you would probably have to drag me out of here like an addict because it is THAT GOOD. The flavors of each dish are varied and well executed. The service is great and very accommodating. We need to give this place some love in this thread! It is just to good not be FNA.
M_L

6 years ago

ACK! I have forgotten to post as well. I think I have been here twice maybe? Both times were really enjoyable and both very outside things I have eaten before. While the menu would have been difficult to navigate without some help or Dom just ordering for me the end product was everything I could have hoped for. The people that work there are so friendly and excited to have you there. I would like to get out there again soon as their late hours make it a constant great option when you need something and it is late.

This place is without question what I think we are looking for with this program.
ScottofStrand

6 years ago

Yeah, Ga Hyang is the poster child for PHXFoodNerds, if any place is. Never in a million years would I have found my way here, despite my love of Korean food, without these boards. There are a handful of very good Korean restaurants in town, but Ga Hyang is definitely exceptional in service, variety and quality. By their banchan alone, you know you're at a place that goes the extra step. Definitely worthy of FNA!
azhotdish

6 years ago

Can there be a more perfect dish for Phoenix than naeng myun? I think not.

Banchan, they nail it all. I especially love the potatoes for some reason - must be my midwest roots. Love their kimchee too.

I have had exactly zero dishes where I have not felt the love here. I would not send my parents without proper guidance and assistance (read: taking them personally), but this is a shoe-in pick.

Sun and Nick are good people - they need to be recognized for their contributions.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Café Ga Hyang has been named to the 2013 Food Nerd Approved list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com