Crêpe Bar – Creative Crêperie

2013 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
MyLifeOnVacatio

6 years ago

Crêpe Bar – an experience

If Jeff Kraus had merely taken the crêpes from his successful food truck, Truckin’ Good Food, and brought them as-is into the brick and mortar Crêpe Bar, it would have been a really nice transition and made for quite a worthy destination. Those lucky enough to attended one of the pop-up “experiences” at Cycle in 2011 got a glimpse of the careful preparation, exotic flavors and often times whimsical preparations that one can now enjoy on a regular basis at Crêpe Bar.

New Times recap of the Cycle +experience+:
http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/ ... e_at_c.php
New Times review of Crêpe Bar:
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2012-11- ... he-crepes/
PFN Crêpe Bar discussion:
http://phxfoodnerds.com/viewtopic.php?f ... ilit=crepe

Currently open for breakfast and lunch the Breakfast Burrito, Papa K and Veggie Stack crêpes are standouts from the savory options. From the sweet crêpe options, the First Time (Nutella & banana) is a solid favorite from the food truck days, and the other sweet options are satisfying as well. The special of the day might range from another type of crêpe (used as “a friendly alternative to burritos, wraps and quesadillas", the website explains) to something more substantial, such as Duck Confit that was available earlier today (until it ran out before I arrived, naturally), although I did get a taste of another special, the Lemon Crêpe x3, that was brightly flavored and delicious. The granola and yogurt parfait gets rave reviews all around.
This is a really cute, casual little place. It's inexpensive, it's delicious... it's nice to see one of the more successful food trucks parlay that success into a brick and mortar establishment. -SkilletDoux
If you go, do yourself a favor and order a latte. You'll get a smoky, creamy brew, with a delicate flourish on top. Just one of the many perfectionist touches you'll see here. - Themis
The Veggie Stack is unbelievely light and airy. These are smaller crepes stacked with tomato, pesto, goat cheese, squash "confit" . . . the textures, flavors, all were balanced and amazingly light but satisfying. - mjmartinez72
My experience was great. The service was friendly and fast. I had the breakfast "burrito" which was bacon, eggs, cheese, and avocado stuffed in a crêpe (as opposed to using a traditional tortilla). . . the eggs were cooked perfectly. Not to mention the dish was beautiful to look at. The crêpe was tasty as well, in hindsight, I'd almost prefer it to a tortilla. - Lunchbox
The coffee being offered at Crêpe Bar is first rate as well. The espresso is aptly described by M_L:
if you order an espresso you will get a little sphere suspension with it that is very clever and I found pretty tasty.
The timed pour-overs and more traditional cappuccino/macchiato are really nice as well. Here’s a cappuccino snap from a visit a few months ago:
crepebarhug.jpg
Just like a hug in a cup
crepebarhug.jpg (37.91 KiB) Viewed 4032 times
Crêpe Bar Discussion Thread:
Crêpe Bar

Crêpe Bar
www.crepe-bar.com
7520 S. Rural Road
Tempe, AZ 85283
480-247-8012
mjmartinez72

6 years ago

While Penny was posting her nomination, I was also crafting one. Since she beat me to it, I will post mine as a support piece:
IMG_7173.JPG
IMG_7173.JPG (64.5 KiB) Viewed 3999 times
Less than a year ago, I was complaining that there were not enough innovative breakfast choices in Tempe. Some months ago, my longing for something other than scrambles and omelets was answered. While the hours and menu definitely cover a breakfast craving, the dishes at Crepe Bar satisfy on a level that transcends any one meal. If you were lucky enough to try anything on the menu of the Trucking Good Food truck, than you have sampled the quality and craft Jeff Kraus brings to any bite and his simply styled strip mall restaurant does not disappoint. My personal favorites include The Veggie Stack, the Papa K, the sweet and salty granola parfaits, and his playful and flavorful sweet crepes. Crepe Bar has developed quite a following on Instagram, flashing luscious pictures of daily specials and coffee, which in my experience taste as good as they look.
IMG_7174.JPG
IMG_7174.JPG (50.27 KiB) Viewed 3999 times
Despite just opening in July of 2012, they entered a Cherry Chocolate Pie with Mesquite crust in Chow Bella’s Pie Social and brought home a Best Flavor Award. They were also named Best Crepe 2012 by Phoenix Magazine and in The New Times annual Best Of Issue. While they are receiving plenty of accolades, they have also experienced some growing pains. Jeff really listens to his guests and asks for feedback from food nerds, other food professionals as well as regulars. If something doesn’t wow you, he tinkers until it does. His attention to precision and quality are why I nominate Crepe Bar.

Crepe Bar
7520 S. Rural Road
Tempe, AZ 85283
480-247-8012
Michelle Martinez
instagram: mixapix
twitter: @mjmartinez72
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Oh, no! Tragic timing!

Thanks so much, both of you, for taking the time to put out this great nomination, though. I'd say that's a pretty good indication of the support this one's likely to get... mine included. I very much enjoyed Crepe Bar, and I know it's a special place for a lot of us.

Great nomination, guys, and on the upside (though I'm so sorry you put time into yours and were beaten to the buzzer, Michelle), I'm looking forward to whatever you decide to nominate instead :-)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
MyLifeOnVacatio

6 years ago

Oh, wow! Can we call it 'great minds thinking alike'? Then the timing is perfect! 9-)
M_L

6 years ago

This is one I was considering doing as well and full disclosure Jeff is someone I would consider a friend so I am wholly biased on this one. I love this place I have never had a bad item here period. And if something was not quite perfect Jeff wants to know about it so he can make it better.

I think it is best typified by his statement to his staff "Everyone is a VIP here." I think they do a good job of showing that. Always dropping bytes or little things off at tables. He makes an effort to walk around and talk to the patrons if he is not slammed in the back.

Even if I did not like the food which I feel there is really no one doing what he does in town he is one of the best people I know and he is working his butt off to constantly improve what he is doing and push out clever and interesting specials.

If we only had one vote this place would probably get mine.
themis

6 years ago

M_L wrote: I think it is best typified by his statement to his staff "Everyone is a VIP here."
This (and the food) is why I am a fan. The details here are never skimped. Each plate is composed and beautiful. It doesn't need to be fancy food if it's prepared with perfect technique. If you don't leave happy to have come, pleased with yourself for having made the choice, if everyone you brought wasn't wowed, I will be VERY surprised.

This place is on my very short "Mother-In-Law List."
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Crêpe Bar has been named to the 2013 Food Nerd Approved list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com