Dolce Vita Italian Grocer - Restaurant and Grocery

2013 list of restaurants that have captured our love and admiration
BillBuitenhuys

6 years ago

Dolce Vita Italian Grocer: What Normal is Supposed to Be
"...Everyone is just used to bad food, and this is what normal is supposed to be." - Walter Bergamaschi, owner, Dolce Vita Italian Grocer
This sums up Dolce Vita Italian Grocer in one sentence.
Excellent meats, excellent cheeses, house made pasta and sauces, house made desserts. All done with care.
Italian food, not Italian American.
Nothing flashy, just good....very, very good.

Since expanding their gelato shop in April 2012 to include a deli and restaurant, this East Mesa stop has been growing in popularity. When I first started going for lunch in early fall, the shop would be nearly empty. Now you will find families at all hours of day, many of them Italian speaking, watching Italian broadcast tv or chatting together, while enjoying meats and cheeses, fresh pastas, a rustic aranchino, a bowl of gelato, a freshly baked sfogliatelle... It's a beautiful thing.

Dolce Vita is a perfect example of what I believe FNA is all about.
  • - Owners with a passion for showcasing simplicity, letting the food speak.
    - Excellent and consistent quality at good prices
    - Strong support of the PFN community
    - Excellent reviews from the food loving media
    - and plenty of free parking (j/k) 8-)
PFN support?
A resounding Yes.
"Great lunch today!" - Lunchbox
"...and can say in general that their non-fruit dominant gelato is uncompromisingly delicious..." - Nam
"I love this place! What a great little joint!" - Skillet Doux
"Three cheers for Dolce Vita!" - ScottofStrand
And praise from other places....

Laura Hahnefeld, Phoenix New Times - Dolce Vita Offers a True Taste of Italy

Fork vs. Food (PFN: ScottofStrand) -Sometimes you go somewhere that just gets it right

Phoenix New Times 9 Best Restaurants of 2012 in Greater Phoenix

If you haven't been yet, go, go now.

Dolce Vita Italian Grocer Discussion Thread:
Dolce Vita Italian Grocer and Gelato

Dolce Vita Italian Grocer
www.dolcevitaitaliangrocer.com
5251 E. Brown Road
Mesa, AZ 85205
480-641-8482
ScottofStrand

6 years ago

SO glad about this nomination. If I could have had two nominations, this would easily be pick number two! Not only are the simple sandwiches, cheese plates, pasta dishes and desserts amazing, but so are the top notch groceries available in the store. The pappardelle pasta, olive oils, balsamic vinegar and those tasty Friselle are all fantastic.

Resounding second on this nomination!
Lunchbox

6 years ago

Sounds like Scott and Bill are in cahootz... But I must be in on it too because I totally agree with you guys... DVIG (and W&B) are awesome. I need to get over there to have Walter make me a few more sandwiches... Great nom.
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Hooray!

I'm so glad somebody nominated this place. I was hoping you might pick up the slack, Bill :-)

Such a great little place, run by such a great guy. Everything I've had here has been delicious. And I especially appreciate that Walter hasn't tried to do too much with the facilities at his disposal, instead focusing on what he knows he can do well from behind the deli counter, i.e. sourcing great ingredients and putting together simple, delicious dishes. Plus, I think the grocery has an unusually good selection, particularly given the size. Big thumbs up here for this one!
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

Big thumbs up from me, too!! Having spent a considerable amount of time in Italy (my ex is Italian), I really felt like this place was the "real deal" from the minute I walked in. My husband and I were blown away by the simple, delicious pasta dishes (and the sfogliatelle!). We need to get back there SOON! :)
golbsalt

6 years ago

I'll drop my +1 here. So glad to have another great Italian option in the east valley!
blog.golbsalt.com - "happiness IS just a lick away!"
@_go_lb_salt_ or @fhmarket
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Dolce Vita Italian Grocer has been named to the 2013 Food Nerd Approved list.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com