PHXfoodnerds Food Map

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

To make it easier to find PHXfn restaurant topics by location, browse below or click the link below the map to open the Google Maps page:

View In Google Maps

A few notes:
  • Current Food Nerd Approved restaurants are identified with red pins.
  • Previous Food Nerd Approved restaurants are identified with light blue pins.
  • This index is not comprehensive. Though it links to threads that primarily discuss the restaurant in question, it does not index every instance where the restaurant has been mentioned. For a full listing of discussions about a restaurant, it is best to use the search function.
  • The index is updated sporadically and may not reflect recent activity (last updated 6-Jun-15).
If you find any errors, please post them here so that we can make corrections!
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
AZScott

6 years ago

Very cool! Thanks for putting that together.
themis

6 years ago

Can we put a very visible graphic link on the home/index page? And yes, feel free to blow away this post when that's decided either way.
Lunchbox

6 years ago

Is there something weird when two restaurants are in the same complex (I.E. same address)? I noticed, for example, that Alessia's Ristorante Italiano shows up but Dolce Vita (which is listed, but not shown on the map as a pin). They share the same address. There are no suite numbers listed so maybe that's a factor?
-- LBX

@zach_garcia

All photos taken before January 14th, 2013 were taken by a slightly broken Apple iPhone 4S.
All photos taken after January 15th, 2013 were taken by an Apple iPhone 5.
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

themis wrote:Can we put a very visible graphic link on the home/index page? And yes, feel free to blow away this post when that's decided either way.
I'd like to, but I also want to be careful not to make the main layout any busier than it already is. But we might have a minor design update imminent, so I might be able to squeeze it in then.
Is there something weird when two restaurants are in the same complex (I.E. same address)?
Yeah, it'll drop one pin directly on top of the other, which is a problem for obvious reasons. In those cases, I need to manually move one of the pins slightly off to the side so both are clickable. Mekong Plaza being a perfect example, where we'd have had six or seven stacked pins. They'll also show as one pin sometimes if they're really close together and you're zoomed too far out. Zooming in should separate them. In any case, I totally missed that one... should be fixed now. Thanks for the heads up!
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Okay, this is EXTREMELY frustrating.

Apparently, after you reach a certain cap, Google Maps starts separating pins into pages. The only way to see the second (and subsequent) pages is to scroll all the way to the bottom of the list and click next. And the pins are listed in the order they're entered... as far as I can tell, there's no way to customize their order. I think this seriously harms the utility of the geographical index for a bunch of reasons, not the least of which is that I can't even put all of the Food Nerd Approved places on page one. Anybody know any workarounds for this, or a similar service that gives you a little more control? Anybody have any experience with Bing Maps?
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Woohoo! Kickass workaround discovered. Posting updated (and embedded!) map shortly.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
PHXeater

6 years ago

Awesome work!
ScottofStrand

6 years ago

Hooray! This is great. I can send people the link directly to the board now, instead of the google map.
themis

6 years ago

Ground Control has actually moved to the southwest corner of Litchfield Rd and Camelback, 4860 North Litchfield Road
Goodyear, AZ 85395. Yes, the Google Map is still wrong on their website. :roll:
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Thanks... I was a little confused by that one.

Update this weekend, and hopefully a banner link. I did an update last night but made some kind of formatting error and have to comb through the whole
thing now. Oy.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Okay, themis, hopefully you can help shed a little light on this one (or anybody else who goes to Ground Control).

They are -- absolutely no question -- on the SW corner of Litchfield and Camelback, correct?

Here's the reason. Ignoring the map on their website, this is the address listed on their website and on Yelp:

4860 N Litchfield Rd.
Goodyear, AZ 85395

That addresss does not compute as far as Google Maps is concerned, because the address doesn't match up with the city and zip. If I plug in just the address, Google gives me this:

4860 N. Litchfield Rd.
Litchfield Park, AZ 85340

And that address is on the SW corner of Litchfield and Camelback.

So is it possible that when they updated the address on their website, they updated the street portion but not the city and zip portion, and then Yelp picked up the bad address as well? Because that's what it looks like. Unless Google Maps is totally wrong. Which isn't unprecedented, but it's awfully rare.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
themis

6 years ago

Yes, they moved from Goodyear to LP. The border is a squiggly line running down one side of Litch Rd or the other and nobody can keep it straight. I'll tell Double his website's a goatrope, although he probably already knows.
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

We have progress! A link to the Geo Index in the header!

What do you guys think? Keep the sticky topic at the top of the Valley Eats forum, or just use the new Geo Index link in the header?
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
BarbaraToombs

5 years ago

I gotta admit, I always have to stop and think for a minute about where the Geographical Index is...so maybe the header would be a quicker and more visible way to access it...
PHXeater

5 years ago

Nice! I say keep it in both places. Nice to have at the top but almost blends in a little too well so people might still find it first from Valley Eats.

Any thoughts on instead of Geo Index we do Phx Food Map or something a little more descriptive? I know there might be character limits and such, but just throwing it out there, feel free to ignore if it doesn't make sense with design of page.
BarbaraToombs

5 years ago

PHXeater wrote:Any thoughts on instead of Geo Index we do Phx Food Map or something a little more descriptive? I know there might be character limits and such, but just throwing it out there, feel free to ignore if it doesn't make sense with design of page.
I think that's a great idea...Geo Index is a little boring... :)
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Yeah, I agree. Done.

(Now I just need to catch up on updating a month's worth of threads :shock: )
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
nbxcarib

5 years ago

Thanks!
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Weeeeeeeeooooooo, well, that was a looooooong overdue update to the Food Map.

I think everything's current now. I've given up on hunting through big combo threads, and am only listing restaurants that have their own thread, though I'm not going back to pull any already posted.

Pins for FNA 2014 are in red, previous years' FNAs are in light blue, and all others are in dark blue.

*phew*

Also, holy crap, you guys, we've covered a lot of ground.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic