Andreoli Italian Grocer

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

So glad you liked it!

The sandwiches are great, but do give the white board a whirl at some point. That's where the magic is.
Dominic Armato
azhotdish

My wife was in the Andreoli neighborhood yesterday and brought me home the Tizio (homemade sausage, peppers & onions sandwich). Stupidly I didn't take a picture before I devoured but, but the meat itself is a flattened piece of sausage that is grilled, which imparts a nice amount of smoke. The sausage is heavily spiced and contains a lot of fennel seed, which is really tasty - just a really nice sandwich on good bread. The side salad, as always, is simply tossed in olive oil and some balsamic vinegar.

She also brought home this lovely homemade salami - that made a great dinner last night; :D
andreoli_salami.JPG
andreoli_salami.JPG (56.33 KiB) Viewed 4462 times
We don't get to Andreoli enough - need to go back and sit on the patio when the weather cools! Let this act as a reminder to go here more often...
---
Joel
@azhotdish
ericeatsout

Nice salami, Joel.
SalamanderX

Looks like Sopressata.

One of my favorite Italian Deli goodies. Crazy thing about Sopressata - I've never quite fully enjoyed it when bought in bulk. It really needs to be thinly sliced in my opinion, something I can't do at home without a slicer. Even a sharp Japanese knife doesn't do the trick. Too much work. So always request it sliced thin and take it home that way.

When I fly back to NYC, I always hit up Sorriso's in Queens. I had the honor of living basically kitty corner to this for 2 years. Bring home Sopressata and other authentic Italian goodies. Good to know there's some alternative here in Scottsdale.

Do either of these places here make fresh, daily mozz?
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

SalamanderX wrote:Do either of these places here make fresh, daily mozz?

Not sure if he makes it daily, but he makes his own mozzarella -- both cow and bufala, I believe. Don't ask me where he's getting the milk. It's his ricotta that I can't get over, though.

Gina's Homemade makes some mean fresh mozzarella too. I'm not sure how quickly she turns it over, but she has a retail operation now.
Dominic Armato
TysonRossi

Skillet Doux wrote:
SalamanderX wrote:Do either of these places here make fresh, daily mozz?

Not sure if he makes it daily, but he makes his own mozzarella -- both cow and bufala, I believe. Don't ask me where he's getting the milk. It's his ricotta that I can't get over, though.

Gina's Homemade makes some mean fresh mozzarella too. I'm not sure how quickly she turns it over, but she has a retail operation now.
I still havent had the Ricotta at Andreoli. I have to get some next time I'm in. Gina's Ricotta is Great! Honestly, that is my favorite. Gina's Burrata is pretty Awesome too. I really like both Andreoli's and Gina's Mozzarella. I shop at Bodega quite a bit and Sometimes Charleen will have her Mozzarella for sale, which is Really Good too.
~Tyson~
kennyz

Atkins Dieters should avoid Andreoli. I mean, I guess one could make a meal out of the excellent cheeses and house made pancetta, which almost looked and tasted like lardo with its large, luscious layers of delicious white fat overshadowing the reddish hued meat that's more prominent in other pancettas. But to leave Andreoli without eating pasta would be very difficult. And to leave without eating even one piece of that dark-crusted, uneven-crumbed, moist bread would for me be impossible.

Andreoli's spaghetti alla vongole rivaled the best I've ever had. Pristine clams were plump and delicious, and their flavor fully permeated the otherwise simple butter sauce. A little garlic. A little parsley. Perfect balance. Mouth-watering perfection.

A grilled veal chop was tender and tasty too, if a bit underseasoned and over-carbonized for my tastes. I'm sure other meats are better, but if I lived in the area I have a feeling I'd be making a bee line for bread, pasta and seafood every time at Andreoli.
Christina

For those, like me, who were introduced to foccacia di recco (and love it) at Davanti, I noticed that Andreoli's posted pics of their version. NEED to get there and hope it's on the menu. From their Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

Also, overdue, but these were pics of our last (and sadly, only, visit thus far) -

Tizio (homemade sausage with peppers and onions).

Spaghetti con vongole

and had to take home sfogliatelle, veal chops, and more....

uhockey

...sfogliatelle and a recommendation from Eliot at noca. I guess this goes on the list. :-)
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

kennyz wrote:I mean, I guess one could make a meal out of the excellent cheeses and house made pancetta, which almost looked and tasted like lardo with its large, luscious layers of delicious white fat overshadowing the reddish hued meat that's more prominent in other pancettas.
Isn't that stuff fabulous?
Pancetta
Pancetta
andreolipancetta.jpg (55.69 KiB) Viewed 4194 times
I love that it's got some kick as well. I think that's Giovanni's Calabrese tendencies coming through. It isn't always available... kind of depends on how much he's been curing, how much he uses himself... mmmmmmaybe whether or not they think you'll appreciate it :-) I pick this up and use it for pasta from time to time, and I almost feel dirty doing so... like it's too good for that, and to do anything other than eat it thinly sliced with some bread is doing it a disservice.
Spaghetti alle Vongole
Spaghetti alle Vongole
andreolivongole.jpg (58.64 KiB) Viewed 4194 times
Dead on, Kenny. This is what spaghetti alle vongole is supposed to be. When the clam actually comes through, it doesn't need to be drowning or "kicked up" with other ingredients to make it sing.
Costoletta di Vitello
Costoletta di Vitello
andreolivealchop.jpg (92.03 KiB) Viewed 4194 times
The char was, indeed, a little heavy on this one... it didn't bother me, but I can see how it might not be to the taste of some. I think I might've goofed with this one, actually. When I was ordering, at first they thought I was requesting Milanese -- which wasn't on the white board -- and they seemed surprised when I asked for the grilled version, which was on the white board, so I don't understand the confusion. But in any case, I'm betting that A) this means you can probably get Vitello alla Milanese just about anytime you want, and B) it's probably really damn good. I think I know what I'm getting next time.

Great to finally meet you, Kenny... I'm so thrilled you appreciated this place.
Dominic Armato
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

FYI, Giovanni has the grilled branzino on the menu today... one of my favorite fish dishes anywhere.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348944565.209497.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348944565.209497.jpg (46.56 KiB) Viewed 4123 times
Dominic Armato
Dapuma

going to go friday for the first time

brazino check

if they dont have that what should i get

would prefer meatier dish (seafood) but lighter on the pasta if possible, or if that is crazy talk what pasta dish should i be willing to pay for on the stepmill on saturday
Dapuma

They did not have Brazino, however they did have Baby Bass, which was excellent and looked amazing (30)

It came with a mash of something with peas in it, it was very flavorful -Dom not sure if you know what it was but it was awesome, had some potatos done simply in olive oil with at least one edge of each of the potato having a good sear or crust to it

The antipasta board was very good, simple yet delicious and the pancetta was the highlight...ridiculously good

Good iced tea for a beverage, nice setting inside and they have a good amount of outdoor dining as well - very casual setting which i liked

Being so close, I cannot believe I have not come here sooner...seems to be a repeated phrase for me lately

took home a pastry and a piece of cake with cream through the middle that was on the back counter, everything the employees recommended was great - thought it was nice that they all asked if it was our first time there and gave recomendations (order off the white board)

Friend liked his veal pasta so much he ordered another order to go for his wife
Last edited by Dapuma 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Hooray! Glad you liked it, Dapuma!

I apologize, I've been dead to the world for the past 36 hours and am just getting to this now, but it sounds like you did great. Fish and veal ragu... can't go wrong there.

I don't think there's a specific name for that vegetable mash with the peas. He often serves that with fish. It's one of the things I love about this place. That's so Italian... a little pasta, a simple piece of fish, a little contorno... done.
Penne Strascicate
Penne Strascicate
andreolipennestrascicate.jpg (62.81 KiB) Viewed 3955 times
That pasta was almost certainly the Penne Strascicate, which is almost always on the white board (though I realize it isn't in the one I've pictured above :-) ). With rare exception, you can count on that being there.

I'll be curious to hear what you thought of the sweets!
Dominic Armato
Dapuma

I got the sfogliatelle which is the thing that looks like a crossaint met an armadillo - really had no idea what to expect for flavors

First bite i thought i sure hope it doesnt taste like an armadillo, cripsy exterior and chewy bread...pretty good i hope the middle is good

Didn't get any of the middle of it, so the next bite i did get some of the middle, it had lemon and orange zest in the background, was chewy and crispy at the same time (i have no idea how they do this but it is great!) and then the center was like a bread pudding type of middle interior, which is one of my favorite desserts

Verdict: AWESOME - one of the best pasteries I have had outside of Paris, Very simple with the flavors but all done really well, lemon and orange zest light accents to the bread puddingish interior with a chewy bread wrapping and a crispy exterior - sent my friend a text message to let him know to get a couple of them next time he stops by there for him and his wife

The custard cake was solid, but i do not think i would get it again, the custard was very clean tasting but did not have a ton of flavor which meant the cake should have been a bit thicker on the top or bottom to lend the cake more flavor, the crust area was the best part, but the custard to cake ratio was a bit off for the rest of the dessert for me - certainly a good example of that type of cake and not poor, but it didnt blow me away - i think i would call it a bit too simple

EDIT: yes dom that pic was the veal pasta that my friend got, and his wife loved it as well (he took a to go order home for her)
Last edited by Dapuma 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Christina

Dapuma wrote:I got the sfogliatelle ....Verdict: AWESOME
It is, isn't it? When we lived in Boston, we were in walking distance of the North End (Boston's "Little Italy") and I was a huge Maria's fan. They made the BEST sfogliatelle (and cannolis). I was so happy to find it at Andreoli's!

Off topic, but if anyone is in Boston - Mike's is the more well known place (and make my favorite rum cake), but go around the corner to Maria's for sfogliattelle:

http://mariaspastry.com/?page_id=78
uhockey

Christina wrote:
Dapuma wrote:I got the sfogliatelle ....Verdict: AWESOME
It is, isn't it? When we lived in Boston, we were in walking distance of the North End (Boston's "Little Italy") and I was a huge Maria's fan. They made the BEST sfogliatelle (and cannolis). I was so happy to find it at Andreoli's!

Off topic, but if anyone is in Boston - Mike's is the more well known place (and make my favorite rum cake), but go around the corner to Maria's for sfogliattelle:

http://mariaspastry.com/?page_id=78
Modern Pastry was my first sfogliatelle - it is still the best I've had.

http://endoedibles.com/?p=349
Christina

uhockey wrote: Modern Pastry was my first sfogliatelle - it is still the best I've had.

http://endoedibles.com/?p=349

I like Modern too, but love Maria's. You'll have to give them a try next time you're in Boston and compare. I love the lobster tails there too.

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/733123
cactuschowdah

Mike's vs. Modern is the never-ending debate of every Bostonian. I like 'em both, but grew up in East Boston and always liked the pastries at Spinelli's.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Well, it's about time we finally got here for Foodnik Friday. That was a mighty tasty lunch. Though as I mentioned to the crowd, what we got was kind of the baseline awesome... the white board was puzzlingly short of specials, and was composed entirely of the staples that are always there, week in, week out. They were preparing for some large, private event, so they might have been sticking to the staples for lunch service to focus on that. I thought almost everything was as delicious as it always is, but we didn't get some of the screaming highs that I've gotten out of some of the less common specials. The upshot, of course, is that if you haven't had it, it's all new to you :-)
Antipasti
Antipasti
andreoliantipasti.jpg (74.33 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
This was... um... a little larger than I'd anticipated. And we still nearly demolished it. Sadly, none of Giovanni's pancetta yesterday. But it was still a really nice selection... a couple of cheeses, some salami, prosciutto, spicy soppressata, a horde of olives and some pickled peperoncini that I loved. Midway through, Rosario brought us out a small plate with a few tastes of some special reserve parmigiano -- I didn't catch the name -- that was awesome.
Patatine Fritte (Old Photo)
Patatine Fritte (Old Photo)
andreolipatatinefritte.jpg (72.56 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
These, I thought, were actually a little off yesterday, so the fact that everybody loved them says something, I think. I think the oil temp wasn't quite where it needed to be -- they were lacking that little bit of crisp, and they were oilier than usual. But still delicious. I'm really glad Francesca badgered me into ordering this the first time, because I never would have gotten it on my own, and it's a regular favorite now.
Calamaretti del Sacrestano
Calamaretti del Sacrestano
andreolicalamarettidelsacrestano.jpg (72.92 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
Well, heck, everybody loves this. Really tender, smoky grilled calamari with olive oil, vinegar and a bit of fresh herbs.

We got a few pastas, including the Penne Strascicate pictured above. Plus these two:
Gnocchi alla Corsara
Gnocchi alla Corsara
andreolignocchiallacorsara.jpg (54.8 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
Well, gnocchi. I think this is the Gnocchi alla Corsara? That's one of the ones where you look it up and you'll find thirty different recipes, none of which even remotely resemble each other. Kind of like pasta alla carrettiera. I guess what constitutes a corsair's pasta depends on what the corsairs are like where you live :-) Anyway, this one's a simple, milled tomato sauce with just a little touch of cream... not pink, just slightly paler red.
Ravioli ai Tartufi
Ravioli ai Tartufi
andreoliravioliaitartufi.jpg (48.18 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
Oooo... good stuff. The filling is fresh porcini and portobelli, and the sauce is a whole lotta butter with a touch of summer truffle.
Costoletta alla Milanese
Costoletta alla Milanese
andreolicostolettaallamilanese.jpg (73.79 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
I've never had this at Andreoli before! They leave it fairly thick, and don't fry it super crisp... it's a little thicker and juicier than a lot of places. Great piece of veal.
Millefoglie (Old Photo)
Millefoglie (Old Photo)
andreolimillefoglie.jpg (52.13 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
In addition to some chocolate, we broke up a couple slices of millefoglie. I love this... great custard, light, flaky pastry... good stuff.
Trippa alla Fiorentina
Trippa alla Fiorentina
andreolitrippaallafiorentina.jpg (60.04 KiB) Viewed 3832 times
We didn't get this dish, but it came up in discussion at the table... if you see the Trippa alla Fiorentina on the white board, get it. It's intense. Not so much funky and screaming of offal, but just rich, so much so that it's tough to get through a bowl. In a good way. With a piece of crusty bread in hand, this stuff is amazing.

I'm kind of keeping the editorializing to a minimum, here... anxious to hear what everybody else thought :-)
Dominic Armato