Dolce Vita Italian Grocer and Gelato

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
BillBuitenhuys

^ Dom, that is most excellent news!
Lunchbox

Skillet Doux wrote:Good news, though... while nothing is done, he said he's working on getting a baker friend from Sicily to come over so he can take over the vacant storefront to the west of the grocery and put in a bakery and pizzeria. He said if it happens, there's plenty of Neapolitan pizzas around town, so they'd do the thick, Sicilian sheet pan kind of pizza. So that's potentially exciting news!
Was in for dinner last night... Asked him about this and he basically laughed at me... Said it's probably not happening... But you never know...

On a plus note, Walter's been making pasta in house. He makes a tagliatelle every morning and said if you come in sometime in the morning, you can help him crank out some pasta. :lol: I had mine with his pink sauce last night and it was delicious.

-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
BillBuitenhuys

Went for lunch yesterday.
Cheese platter shared between the 3 of us.
Panini of salami, cheese, and giardiniera on perfectly crusty bread.
Bought an 10-pack of San Pellegrino Sanbitter and fusilli for take home.

Life is good...until we realized we had to go back to work.
ScottofStrand

I dropped by Dolce Vita to present their FNA and grab lunch this weekend.
Walter and Marti
Walter and Marti
Walter copy.jpg (54.28 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
Walter and Marti were very appreciative to the food nerds. They proudly displayed the award and sticker for all to see. Walter also showed me the three Get Out awards they received from the East Valley tribune for Best new business, Best frozen dessert, and Best specialty grocer(I believe).

Great to see them doing so well!
Sandwiches are as delicious as ever
Sandwiches are as delicious as ever
Dolce Vita.jpg (108.54 KiB) Viewed 4631 times
Lunchbox

I love having dinner at D.V.I.G... You always meet the nicest people having dinner and last night was no exception... (I'm looking at you Ben and Family, I hope to see you on the board here!)

Anyway Marti (Walter was at home) cooked up some tasty eats as usual. You can't go wrong with some meat and cheese.

Marti and I were talking as I was waiting for the family to show up and I asked her "What's good?" And she responded: "I have some polenta and spicy sausage I can whip up." Sold. Super creamy polenta and a marinara with spicy sausage flavors. Really good. Arden ate half of the polenta.

Ever since katfish posted a picture of a cannoli on Facebook during his trip to Chicago I've been jonesin' for one. I mentioned it to Marti and she said as long as she has the shells (which they don't make in house) and ricotta she can make it. This was just about perfect. I like mine a teensy bit sweeter but that's me being nitpicky.

If you haven't been, make the trip.
-- LBX

CelticBellaAZ

Our new house is within walking distance of this place. I usually have only gone there to buy hard cheese for recipes, but I am looking forward to trying some what look to be tasty dishes. :D
Good food does not have to be difficult or expensive! Sláinte!
ScottofStrand

Dolce Vita is on a regular rotation since it's amazing and in our part of town. I have been back so many times since my last post, and every time is simple perfection. Just recently, Walter has been expanding his grocery side to include some award winning Italian oils, vinegars and dried pastas. But really, I'm all about the meat and the cheese and the simple sandwiches.
Parma Panino
Parma Panino
IMG_2268.JPG (113.14 KiB) Viewed 4076 times
Three ingredients on great bread. What else do you need?!

The Gelato side has been stellar, as well. Mascarpone w/Fig and Pomegranate w/Vanilla are two new favorites. Their to-go containers are like tiny Styrofoam ice chests, so they travel really well. A small container(I think $11) is over a pound and can be mixed and matched to try more flavors. There are Medium and Large sizes available, too.

It's been too long since we've had a food nerd gathering here, and I think we should make it happen soon! I believe they'll be closed from July 4th-6th, just in case anyone was planning on swinging in for the holiday weekend. But I'll definitely be posting something up in the Events in the near future.
BarbaraToombs

ScottofStrand wrote:It's been too long since we've had a food nerd gathering here, and I think we should make it happen soon!
I would be TOTALLY down with this, but would have to be on a weekend due to my work constraints, sadly!
BillBuitenhuys

Hadn't been to DVIG&G in a few months so stopped in for lunch the other day.
My panino looked much like Scott's but with prosciutto and gorgonzola. Simple, delicious.

As a bonus, we walked in about 10 minutes before the start of Il Palio di Siena, a rather historical horserace (medieval origins) with bareback riders racing around Piazza del Campo, each horse representing a city ward. There were bumps and crashes as the horses banged around the city and riders whipping their own and their opponents horses at a pace to send a PETA activist into seizure. Lots of cheers from Walter and Marti as everyone in the shop was fixated on the screen for that short 5 minutes. Love this place.
Mike Z

Anybody been here lately? Are they still doing pastas during lunch? The GF will be doing some shadowing for work in the area, and am thinking of hitting here for lunch with her next Tuesday
BillBuitenhuys

Sad to report that Marti (Walter's wife) recently passed away according to the DV FB page.
It appears that Walter and Marti retired from DV over a year ago and another family from Italy (Sicily....about as far from Walter's Bergamo as you can get) has taken over.
Marti was always the laughing, conversant yin to Walter's stoic yang.
Last edited by BillBuitenhuys 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Lunchbox

I was so sad to hear this news today. My kids grew up in this place. My 11 y/o literally ate dinner in a stroller there when she was cutting her teeth. And Walter and Marti were always there with a smile, educating us on some new Italian tradition or food. We haven’t been in there since the pandemic but I was literally thinking of them this morning (as I was menu planning and thinking about ingredients). She will certainly be missed.

Here’s the actual announcement if you haven’t seen.
DFB7057B-1F4A-4481-AE18-A37B9C36FF6F.jpeg
DFB7057B-1F4A-4481-AE18-A37B9C36FF6F.jpeg (118 KiB) Viewed 168 times
-- LBX