Wedge and Bottle

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
Christina

ScottofStrand wrote:How was the duck riellettes? I think that's on my list of things to try next visit. I was really tentative about the Smoked Cumin Gouda, but it really made for an interesting taste combo. I used to be very anti-"things in cheeses", but i'm starting to see that it can be done a right way.

I actually asked for the smoked cumin Gouda again so my friend (first time visitor) could try it. I just find it so unique and intriguing. Duck rillettes was excellent - same girlfriend bought some to take home.

Also,
ScottofStrand wrote:Uplands Cheese who has Pleasant Ridge Reserve, one of my all time favorite domestics....
Agree! Tried it for the first time last year (ordered from Artisanal in NYC). Loved it. They didn't have it this visit at Wedge and Bottle.

BillBuitenhuys

But they do have Pleasant Ridge now.
ScottofStrand

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna hit it up Saturday afternoon on my way to Tuscon. I can already taste it.
Tim H

I stopped in for lunch last week. Had the plain grill cheese and tomato basil soup. Simple and tasty, and I will definitely be back for more. I also walked out with some Cowgirl Red Hawk triple cream cheese: salty, creamy, just a little funky, and man is it good. Also some Smoking Goose sopressata, which just melted in my mouth. I usually get by with Costco or Fresh & Easy charcuterie, but this was a reminder of how good the good stuff can be. And then I spent another 30 bucks at Trader Joe's.
Plain grill cheese and tomato basil soup
Plain grill cheese and tomato basil soup
IMG_0599.JPG (48.15 KiB) Viewed 5441 times
There is nothing either good or bad but gravy makes it so. - Kevin Hearne
ScottofStrand

I swung by Wedge and Bottle last week after we presented Walter with his FNA, to do the same for Wedge and Bottle!
FNA! Krista and Troy of Wedge and Bottle
FNA! Krista and Troy of Wedge and Bottle
FNA.jpg (58.68 KiB) Viewed 5389 times
Troy and Krista were both very grateful and thankful of all our support. I haven't been back to see if the sticker went up in the window or not, though. They're such nice people, and i'm always reminded that this is really a great place to help spread the word about.

I took home a bunch of meat, cheese and sandwiches and made a little picnic for the family.
Meat and Cheese Picnic
Meat and Cheese Picnic
Picnic.jpg (54.08 KiB) Viewed 5389 times
Bonne Bouche Goats milk, A farmhouse cheddar whos name i'm forgetting, and Roaring 40s Blue. Salty, soft and oh-so blue. Along with some Speck, Loma and killer Saussicon.
Lunchbox

The picture of Krista and Troy is what the FNA's are all about... That puts a smile on my face... Nice work Scott...
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Christina

Lunchbox wrote:The picture of Krista and Troy is what the FNA's are all about... That puts a smile on my face... Nice work Scott...
Just thinking the same thing. Love that, and I'm such a fan of Krista and Troy.
BillBuitenhuys

ScottofStrand wrote: I haven't been back to see if the sticker went up in the window or not, though.
I didn't think to look for the window sticker but the framed cert is up on the wall just right of the beer section.
Christina

BillBuitenhuys wrote:
ScottofStrand wrote: I haven't been back to see if the sticker went up in the window or not, though.
I didn't think to look for the window sticker but the framed cert is up on the wall just right of the beer section.
It's now prime real estate by the register :)

Latest purchases from today:

For cheese, Fromager d'Affinois (Fromagerie Guilloteau in France/Rhône-Alpes region), Wabash Cannonball (ash rind goat from Indiana), Nancy's Hudson Valley Camembert (cow and sheep), and Gubbeen (washed-rind cow's milk from Ireland). Also, Rustichella d'Abruzzo lemon fettuccine, Valrhona Grue De Cacao cocoa nibs, and restocked on favorites of Cowgirl Creamery sea salt and olive oil crackers, Caravalgio salted capers, and Scarpetta Wine spumante rosé. For charcuterie, prosciutto di Parma, finocchiona, and Stagberry salame. Thanks to BillB for the rec on the Stagberry. Had a sample and loved it even more than his fab description. Though now I wish I had bought more ;) From the Smoking Goose website description "A hunter’s treat, the finely ground elk in this salame is studded with organic blueberries soaked in honey wine from Indiana’s own New Day Meadery. They stuff and tie each natural casing by hand before applying a thin layer of lard and rice flour to ensure slow, sweet aging". Oh yes.
http://www.smokinggoose.com/Stagberry.html

ScottofStrand

Always consistently killer. I brought a friend here for a meat and cheese filled lunch. It was as good as ever.
Cheese and Charcuterie
Cheese and Charcuterie
Wedge and Bottle.jpg (129.5 KiB) Viewed 4879 times
Lunchbox

W&B has a new menu item I had at lunch yesterday... The #7: Rosemary ham. Melted brie. Crusty french baguette. Stupid simple but stupid delicious. I love when a place takes something so unassuming and puts them together to make something special. This is one of those sandwiches. You get the saltiness of the ham and sweetness of the brie for a perfect balance.
-- LBX

putitonmytab

Sad news, Wedge and Bottle is closing at the end of the month.
http://mouthbysouthwest.com/2015/06/16/ ... his-month/
-Mandy
Lunchbox

putitonmytab wrote:Sad news, Wedge and Bottle is closing at the end of the month.
http://mouthbysouthwest.com/2015/06/16/ ... his-month/
FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQQQQQQQQQ!!!!

#thisiswhywecanthavenicethings
-- LBX

ScottofStrand

Nooooooooooo! This news really hurts.
BillBuitenhuys

I am so going to miss being able to run over to see Troy and Krista (and Liz and Kat) for a big bag filled with meats and cheeses that just aren't available anywhere else in PHX. They are all such wonderful people that gave so much to this community.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Yeah, this pretty much sucks.

I talked to Krista this morning. And while I don't relish suggesting that people clean the place out, when I asked she did say that the more inventory they can sell in the next two weeks, the better off they'll be (I'm paraphrasing). Might want to consider making a run. Even if it feels wrong, it will help them out.
Dominic Armato
DesertDoc

This is just awful...I wish that they had let us know that they needed more support.

I rarely make it over to that side of town, but made an effort to go whenever we were there. Was just telling one of my friends that lives in Ahwatukee that he needed to check them out (he didn't even know that they existed) and now I need to let him know that they are closing.

Will definitely make an effort to swing by before they close. Wonder if they would have been more successful in a different location, maybe Arcadia/PV/Scottsdale...

-Desertdoc
BarbaraToombs

Yes, this was horrible news today. I hate to feel like a "vulture on a kill," but if it will help them out, I'll stock up. :(
BillBuitenhuys

Wedge and Bottle Pop Up...from their newsletter

As most of you know, we closed the doors to our storefront location on June 30th of this year. We feel very blessed to of had wonderful support and many new opportunities have presented themselves after closing our doors.

One of these opportunities is selling cheese at the Desoto Central Market's Pop Up Farmer's Market on Sundays. Have you guys been to Desoto Central Market Yet? It is full of good eats and beverages, check them out on Facebook! Our first Sunday will be September 27th. We will be starting with just 3 best selling cheeses (changed weekly) and if all goes well we will expand our offerings. We would love to see you all there! It is a great way for us to continue sharing delicious cheese!

DeSoto Market
915 N Central Ave
Phoenix, Arizona 85004
Starts at 10:00am
BarbaraToombs

Yes, that was good news! Got that email the other day and was pleasantly surprised. :)