Crêpe Bar

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
mrln242

This place is a gem, but I don't know why its overhyped. It was good, but come on all the craziness about this place drives me nuts. Next door there is a croissant place they aren't crispy enough and a bit too chewy but this was literally after coming home from Paris and I must have had oh I don't know 20 croissants a day and probably 40 macarons so Ima be a pain in the ass the next couple of months about these two items. Coffee as well probably.
M_L

mrln242 wrote:...after coming home from Paris and I must have had oh I don't know 20 croissants a day and probably 40 macarons so Ima be a pain in the ass the next couple of months about these two items...
I was there in April and I am still a PITA about those.
BarbaraToombs

Popped in for lunch here yesterday, and turns out Jeff got a new toy...a dehydrator. He said he got a refurbished one on Amazon and had been "playing." Lucky me, because after I ordered my crepe, while I was waiting, out started coming all these little amuses:
Kale chips
Kale chips
CrepeBar_kale.jpg (80.14 KiB) Viewed 4339 times
(Sorry for the crappy photo.) I'm NOT a fan of kale, but I could have eaten a bucket full of these. There's fish sauce going on here, a dusting of miso powder, and who knows what else. The little gelee to the side was described to me as "citrus," but I couldn't really identify it as such...although it was tasty and interesting.
Beet chip
Beet chip
CrepeBar_beetchip.jpg (43.96 KiB) Viewed 4339 times
Then there was a beautiful beet chip...this photo doesn't do this justice; it was like a work of art. Not sure what the crispy beet chip was sitting on, but next to it was pickled watermelon radish. A great bite.
Gelees
Gelees
CrepeBar_gelees.jpg (39.66 KiB) Viewed 4339 times
More gelees, dusted with smoked chocolate and banana powders. These were made of mango, guava, and rose.
"Smokey" crepe
"Smokey" crepe
CrepeBar_crepe.jpg (54.37 KiB) Viewed 4339 times
But this is what I had come for! Still trying out some of the new menu items...this one was the "smokey" and it was fantastic: turkey, chorizo, gouda...just the right balance of each. Pickled watermelon radish in the salad. Good stuff.

Best thing about this place is how much at home they make you feel here. The staff is excellent, you couldn't meet a nicer guy than Jeff...they all seem like a big, happy family. So glad this is in my part of town!
putitonmytab

Crepe Bar is my favorite!!!
-Mandy
Mike Z

Thanks for the reminder, Barb, I really need to "plan" to get here. It's crazy, I go past Crepe Bar to and from work, but they're not open yet when I go to work, and they're closed when I go home :(
BarbaraToombs

Mike Z wrote:Thanks for the reminder, Barb, I really need to "plan" to get here. It's crazy, I go past Crepe Bar to and from work, but they're not open yet when I go to work, and they're closed when I go home :(
Geez, what time do you go to work, Mike? They're open fairly early...

And don't forget about the weekend!! (Although they're usually crazy busy then.)

Rumor has it that they are going to be taking over the space next to them (not on the Croissant place side; the other side), so hopefully that will ease the crowded weekend lunch crowd!
Mike Z

Somehow I manage to be an early bird AND a night owl . . . I work 4-10s' (love having three days off), so I arrive at work at 5:30am . . . and lunch on work days isn't an option, and on days off I sleep in :)
putitonmytab

Disclaimer- Crepe Bar is one of my favorites. I only know Jeff and the Crepe Bar crew from eating here but I go quite a bit. The food Jeff makes is the food I want to eat. Fresh and local with flavors that pop. I saw on a thread that Crepe Bar is over-hyped. I can't hype it enough, but I understand. I just love it.

This is my last 6 months at Crepe Bar-

Jeff always sends out extras
tea garden-lemon, hibiscus, coconut, indian black panna cotta
tea garden-lemon, hibiscus, coconut, indian black panna cotta
022.JPG (197.16 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
the cereal with yogurt foam
the cereal with yogurt foam
044.JPG (172.96 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
porridge with pork jowl
porridge with pork jowl
040.JPG (112.79 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
sneak peek of a duck taco for an event
sneak peek of a duck taco for an event
046.JPG (87.79 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
cheesecake with jam, blueberries and mint oil.
cheesecake with jam, blueberries and mint oil.
cheesecake.jpg (20.87 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
Agritopia dates, housemade ricotta, hibiscus gel, strawberry jam and walnuts.
Agritopia dates, housemade ricotta, hibiscus gel, strawberry jam and walnuts.
dates.jpg (48.4 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
pork jowl and kimchi on a sweet potato chip.
pork jowl and kimchi on a sweet potato chip.
pork jowl.jpg (43.48 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
Single Origins from Heart roasters?? Best coffee around.
I only splurge on lattes at Crepe Bar
I only splurge on lattes at Crepe Bar
036.JPG (151.08 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
And the crepes....
the breakfast burrito. chipotle crepe, eggs & bacon, queso jack, avacado salsa
the breakfast burrito. chipotle crepe, eggs & bacon, queso jack, avacado salsa
041.JPG (106.26 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
andouille sausage, pimento cheese, fingerling potatoes, egg up. My current favorite on the menu.
andouille sausage, pimento cheese, fingerling potatoes, egg up. My current favorite on the menu.
andoullie.jpg (37.4 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
chicken pesto, white cheddar, soft onions, pickeled red peppers.
chicken pesto, white cheddar, soft onions, pickeled red peppers.
041.JPG (84.46 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
vanilla bean custard, strawberries and salted caramel.
vanilla bean custard, strawberries and salted caramel.
che.jpg (23.85 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
Are you sick of me yet??

I'm hoping Jeff will expand. If you've ever wondered, there is a restroom but you have to go through the kitchen to get to it (awkward). If anyone ever wants to go, I'm in :D
-Mandy
Mike Z

May have to hit this up for breakfast this weekend. Are we typically looking at a wait on Saturday mornings?
putitonmytab

Depends. I've never waited more than a few minutes to order and maybe 15 minutes until the food hits the table. (You order at the counter). I usually get a brewed coffee on the weekend because it's ready immediately and I just drink that while I wait. Having said that, I rarely go on the weekends because I've heard it can be a mad house. I like to go middle of the week and early. But go!!!!
-Mandy
BarbaraToombs

This is one of my regular haunts. Jeff does plan to expand into the space north of the current space...but not sure when that will happen!
Mike Z

Snagged a table outside this morning for an excellent breakfast. Place was nearly full at about 9:30. Took about 30 min for my order, but I was in no rush, and they brought out some of that great granola again. All in all, perfect fuel for my 40 mile bike ride :)
image.jpg
image.jpg (84.87 KiB) Viewed 4052 times

The 13mi Curry Vegetable. I'm a known carnivore, but this looked interesting, and I highly recommend it. Cubed beets, parsnips, maybe something else, pickled onion with black sesame seeds, greens, and a funky cheese snowflake. It's convinced me I should start cooking with beets
image.jpg
image.jpg (87.67 KiB) Viewed 4052 times
The Pick-me Up. Coffee crepe, espresso marscapone cream and five spice crumble. Kinda tasted like tiramisu. Could have used more crumble, but adding the granola on top did the trick

So yeah, I need to get back here more often
Lunchbox

Been to Crepe Bar a couple times in the past couple weeks...

Last week Jeff served a BBQ duck breast amuse because he was getting ready for the BBQ fest. Sooooo good and such a tease with such a tiny bite. This is everything an amuse bouche is supposed to be.

Today's amuse was Agritopia veggies with curry and crispy kale. Delish.

His plates are so beautiful. I had Chicken pesto crepe in my quest to try something new on the menu. It was good but I need a fix of the andouille. I just love that crepe so much.

Jeff sent out what can only be described as onion straws. They were crispy and oniony. I'm not sure how he did them but they were magic. I got almost a marshmallow flavor from them.

And finally there was a small taste of carrot cake which was the perfect way to end lunch. Good stuff all around.
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
LaPan

Hey Lunchbox, exactly what menu are you ordering from? Been there twice and haven't seen most pictured.
IG @lapaniam
Lunchbox

LaPan wrote:Hey Lunchbox, exactly what menu are you ordering from? Been there twice and haven't seen most pictured.
Top two are amuses the kitchen sent out (they send them to most if not all tables). The Chicken Pesto crepe is on the menu. The onions and carrot cake were sent out by the kitchen...
-- LBX

LaPan

Well, I've never been lucky I guess. Or something else. It's part of the reviews of product that seemingly isn't for everyone that I was talking about in the past. I understand about daily specials. I feel that these unusual items (no matter how lovely) deter from the usefulness of reviews.
IG @lapaniam
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

LaPan wrote:Well, I've never been lucky I guess. Or something else. It's part of the reviews of product that seemingly isn't for everyone that I was talking about in the past. I understand about daily specials. I feel that these unusual items (no matter how lovely) deter from the usefulness of reviews.
I think the best approach (and site policy, BTW), is simple. If you get something that's out of the norm, an off-menu request, a gift from the kitchen because you know them, or whatever, you simply say so (presuming you know that to be the case, of course). Disclose disclose disclose. Then anybody reading can judge for themselves whether they feel that's the experience they're likely to have.

The flipside of that is if your experience differs, post about it. If you feel that a couple of reports (intentionally or unintentionally) present a skewed impression, then the remedy is to simply post what your experience was like, and discuss how it was different. There is no bar to entry here, other than a willingness to take a few moments to register. The solution isn't less data -- it's more data.

Also, it's worth noting that this isn't a review site. There's a reason we don't have stars, and everybody's posts are in sequence like a conversation, rather than standing on their own as self-contained pieces. The format isn't accidental. Hearing about a typical experience at a restaurant is valuable. So is hearing about a special event. So is hearing about some special dish the chef made for you because she's your friend. All three are valuable for different reasons, and when taken together make for a more robust discussion. The purpose of PHXfn isn't simply to provide reviews so you can pick where to go for dinner, though that's obviously a large part of it. There are other sites with a narrow focus like that. The purpose here is also to discuss and learn and educate each other and hear about all manner of things food-related, and even sometimes to simply live vicariously through a beautiful description of somebody else's awesome meal. It absolutely behooves everybody who posts here to mention any atypical circumstances, but provided that it's presented in an honest and straightforward manner, it all has a place, and it all has value in different ways.

We're two years old, but we're still a very young community in a lot of ways, and we're going to be finding our footing for a while. As long as we're earnest, honest, and enthusiastic, we'll navigate some of those tricky bits. And the key, of course, is participation. The less people hesitate to participate, and the more they're willing to discuss their experience -- how it was the same and how it was different, with equal importance (the latter can be done nicely!) -- the more valuable the community is for everybody.
Dominic Armato
BarbaraToombs

LaPan wrote:Well, I've never been lucky I guess. Or something else. It's part of the reviews of product that seemingly isn't for everyone that I was talking about in the past. I understand about daily specials. I feel that these unusual items (no matter how lovely) deter from the usefulness of reviews.
I don't know if it's a question of being lucky...I sat there the entire morning last Friday (kinda made the place my "office" because I had to get out of the house but didn't want to go all the way into the office), and I saw little amuses going out to pretty much every table in there, mine included. Little works of art! The brioche toast and latte I had for breakfast, and the "Grand Prix" crepe (which was fantastic...coffee crepe, pork belly, maple-glazed pork jowl, and an egg up) I had for brunch were all off the menu...the latter is only served until 11 am, so I usually don't get there in time to order it when I go for lunch. Both are pictured below (apologies for the crappy Instagram photos...not sure what was wrong with my camera phone that morning!).

Brioche

Grand Prix

One of the amuses was really interesting...this is an oatmeal bacon cookie with cocoa nibs, cherry, and a pig's blood ice cream drizzle. I detected some spice in the drizzle that I couldn't quite put my finger on...turned out it was Chinese five-spice. Jeff is so darn creative...always impressed when I go there!
Lunchbox

I'm with Barb... I don't know Jeff very well (only a little from social media and dining in the restaurant). I don't feel like I've gotten "special" treatment at all... With the exception of one time that we were chatting over something and we were both geeking out hardcore about a particular topic and he said, hang on, you have to try this... He went in the kitchen and made me try something special he was working on... An isolated incident.

Otherwise I think they treat everybody pretty equally in there...

It might help that I'm always in at off hours and they're not usually busy...
-- LBX

M_L

Lunchbox wrote:It might help that I'm always in at off hours and they're not usually busy...
That is the key. If they are busy Jeff does not have the time to play around. If they are not then he fills that time but trying to stretch out a bit.