Matt's Big Breakfast

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

One of the things that's kind of fun about being a still relatively recent import is trying out sacred cows without the same level of baggage that long-time locals bring to the table. Sometimes it's easy to see what all the fuss is about. Other times, I'm convinced that the city of Phoenix is suffering from mass hallucinations (not to single out Phoenix -- it's the same with sacred cows everywhere). So when going into a place like Matt's Big Breakfast, I'm always wildly curious to see what the actual restaurant behind the buzz is about.

The little fella, on the rare occasion when his sister isn't around for the morning, is extremely fond of going out for breakfast. This is due, in no small part, to the fact that he loves pancakes. We live just a quick jaunt from the Thomas & 48th Over Easy, and stopped in once about a year ago. While I'm usually of a "Hey, let's try someplace new!" mind, not so much with this kid. On the 2-3 breakfasts we've had since, he's insisted upon returning to Over Easy. Which is fine. I like it. But yesterday, I managed to convince him to give Matt's Big Breakfast a try instead, mostly by not telling him what we were doing until we were almost there (you do what you have to do).

At 9:30 AM on a Thursday, we waited probably about 20 minutes, which I don't mind one bit if the place rocks (Preview: it does). I was ready to throw myself through the plate glass window when I was told that the table before us took the last of the eggs benedict. So I went omelette. The little fella got some pancakes.
Griddlecakes
Griddlecakes
mattsgriddlecakes.jpg (89.58 KiB) Viewed 2911 times
And, holy crap, these were some awesome pancakes. Great flavor, spongy but still substantial, nice light crust, soft salty butter and real syrup. Absolutely nothing fancy. And yet freaking delicious
Omelette and Hash Browns
Omelette and Hash Browns
mattsomelette.jpg (107.44 KiB) Viewed 2911 times
Ditto my omelette. I had every reason to be disappointed by this. I was still smarting over having just missed the eggs benedict. I'm not a fan of omelettes that are folded over fillings without them being cooked together. I like really crispy hash browns, and save for a little bit of crisp on the edges, these were bordering on gooey. And what the hell is it with breakfast places not offering Tabasco in this town?! And I got over all of these things immediately because it was so flipping good. Nothing obviously different... just FLAVOR.

So I get it. Sourcing, freshness, attention to detail, alchemy, minute amount of addictive drugs -- however they do it, this is standard breakfast done really really really well. I've been told you can get breakfast just as good from lots of places that don't feature a long wait. Of course, I've been told that about Over Easy (no... Over Easy has never been as good as what I had yesterday). And it isn't that I don't appreciate a simple, cheap, no-wait non-magical breakfast that you can get from any corner short order joint. But this is one where, if what I had yesterday was typical, I think Matt's detractors are just looking for an opportunity to slaughter a sacred cow. I have absolutely no compunction about slaughtering sacred cows when they deserve it. But not this one.
Dominic Armato
cactuschowdah

I really hope your omelet had bacon in it. The bacon they do there is mind-blowing. Shoot, now I need to figure out how to get down there for breakfast sometime next week...
grrlscout

Glad you enjoyed it! I have been to Matt's several times, for breakfast and lunch, and have enjoyed everything I have gotten there.

Sure the menu is small, and there's nothing earth-shatteringly different on it. It's just simple food, made with great ingredients, and done well, consistently. Plain as that.
~ Korina
gardener | forager | permie | maker of things
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

cactuschowdah wrote:I really hope your omelet had bacon in it. The bacon they do there is mind-blowing. Shoot, now I need to figure out how to get down there for breakfast sometime next week...
Onions, mushrooms and ham... the bacon was on the side :-)
Dominic Armato
Firenza00

We are some of the few who haven't drunk the MBB Kool-Aid. Our one visit for breakfast was one of the worst breakfasts we've had. The thought of the nasty, incredibly greasy hashbrowns that came with our meals still turns our stomachs to this day.
andrewknoc

Once a year, Matt does PJs and Eggs where you can have breakfast for dinner. This year, it's October 12th. (http://www.pjsandeggs.net/)

The specials, often some sort of scramble situation, are really my favorite part of Matt's. Good stuff, in my experience.
grrlscout

Adimittedly, I have never gotten the hash browns. I always get the homefries, which are rosemary-tastic.
~ Korina
gardener | forager | permie | maker of things
themis

Confession: I have never been. My husband makes terrific breakfasts, so we rarely have those out, and if we do, Morning Glory's food and atmosphere get our biz. I get they source ingredients properly and have the best meats, but it's kind of a case of a thousand people telling you it's the best ever, and then one person who really gets food tells you they hate it, so it slips down your list. Hype backlash.

Dom, what do you think they're frying those hash browns in? Butter, or something more flavorful-? I am fussy about hash browns, now I'm even more leery, with you saying they were sog city.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Clarified butter? Best guess. I wasn't in identify mode. I was more in "Damn, these hash browns are good and I'm going to suck them down" mode. I'd have been suspicious had I read what I just wrote. I like mine crispy, crispy, crispy. These were just a little crispy on top. But the flavor was awesome.
Dominic Armato
exit2lef

It was my first time back at Matt's in a long time. The Tempe Town Lake location that I used to enjoy after morning bike rides has unfortunately closed, but the downtown flagship is always worthwhile. Anyway, while my daughter had a classic waffle, I decided to try something new. I'll admit it's sort of a concession to current trends, but it's a really good rendition of that trend.

https://phxrailfood.com
Instagram: @phxrailfood