Taco Boy's

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
exit2lef

Skillet Doux alerted me to this place in late 2019 when he was writing for the Arizona Republic. It's close to my office, so it's convenient for lunch, but I'd be willing to make a trip to the east end of Roosevelt Row just to eat here. The misused apostrophe is part of the name. Although I'm normally a stickler about those matters, I've come to see it as part of the restaurant's charm.

They've just opened a second location on Rural Road in Tempe, right between the ASU campus and the "Sin City" apartment complexes. They took over an old Z Pizza location with self-serve tap handles, which they've elected to maintain, so this location has the added benefit of draft beer, much of it local and craft brews.

Although al pastor pork and chicken are on the menu, the emphasis is on beef. The carne asada is probably the most popular, but I'm a big fan of the barbacoa, which is exceedingly tender. Tacos are the obvious specialty, and I recommend an upgrade to fajita style with peppers and onions.

There are also vampiros, little crisp tostadas topped with a protein of choice; platos, a sort of DIY option with meat, beans, and tortillas; burros; and quesadillas. Whatever you order, make sure to visit the salsa bar, which features multiple levels of heat, as well as fresh vegetables like radishes, cucumbers, and carrots:

https://phxrailfood.com
Instagram: @phxrailfood