Stoop Kid — Downtown Burgers and Bagel Sandwiches

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

While slowly working our way back to standard-issue indoor dining, the Doux clan has been frequenting a number of outdoor establishments, and this has been one of the recent highlights.

Stoop Kid has been slinging at The Churchill for a while now, but a post from Michael Babcock finally got me to pull the trigger, and I stopped in for this fella:

stooopkidburger.jpg
stooopkidburger.jpg (90.96 KiB) Viewed 373 times
The Stoop Kid
double beef, Tillamook cheddar, caramelized onions, dill pickle, Dijonnaise, brioche

This is an outstanding burger. No frills, just freaking good. A little sweetness from the onions, gorgeous bread soaking up the juice from a pair of dripping patties, a little bite from mustard and pickle... nothing against the usual panoply of signature burgers at most places, but I love the commitment to keeping it simple and doing it extremely well.

stoopkidchips.jpg
stoopkidchips.jpg (68.93 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Chipz

Killer taters, too. Not quite fries, not quite chips. Condiments? Not needed.

So, naturally we returned for breakfast.

stoopkidmoneyshot.jpg
stoopkidmoneyshot.jpg (73 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Money Shot
spicy bacon jam shmear, marinated tomato, Tillamook cheddar, soft scramble, hash cake, asiago bagel

The bacon jam shmear is going to rope people in, but this one wasn't quite doing it for me. Great bagel courtesy of Bagelfeld's, but that plus the hash cake made it a starch bomb. The rest kind of got lost.

stoopkidyamandcheese.jpg
stoopkidyamandcheese.jpg (73.82 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Yam and Cheese
red pepper romesco shmear, chile-glazed yam, sprouts, tomato, cucumber, avocado, plain bagel

The veg option works a lot better. Dig the contrast on this — sweet, spicy yam with a robust smoosh set against juicy tomato and some crisp cucumber. I'd go back for this one. And yet...

stoopkideggtheescallion.jpg
stoopkideggtheescallion.jpg (95.42 KiB) Viewed 373 times
Egg Thee Scallion
scallion and Parmesan shmear, soft toad-in-the-hole egg, honey ham, Gruyere, mornay, asiago bagel

...this was the winner, hands down. It's basically a croque madame in bagel sandwich form. Thick, cheesy mornay, nice slab of ham, gorgeous egg built into the bagel, and I love the little hit of gentle sourness from the cream cheese.

Tiny menu — this is basically everything — but that makes it no less destination-worthy. Great stuff.

Stoop Kid
www.getstoopkid.com
The Churchill
901 N. 1st Street
Phoenix, AZ 85004
Dominic Armato
chrislee

Looks fantastic!!!

I'm glad life is getting back to normal for you all to some degree.

I will say that in a town of about 80K people, I will be envying the PHX dining & drinking scene ongoing. ;)
exit2lef

Don't forget the plantains. They're my preferred side there. Here they are with the Pobrecito, the smaller burger on the menu:

Stoop Kid is promising an expanded menu in the next week or two. The shop was originally touted as serving bagels and coffee, but the latter was omitted. Maybe that's coming soon. Also, they've posted on Instagram about a new spicy burger on the way.

https://phxrailfood.com
Instagram: @phxrailfood
exit2lef

Stoop Kid promised an expanded menu in a week or two -- over a month ago. I was hoping to see the spicy burger promoted to regular status, but that still hasn't happened. They have added two new items, though, a "Cheese Wiz" grilled cheese made on an inside-out brioche roll with caramelized onions and tomato, and "dirty plantains," green bananas with fried cheese, sauce, and lot of cilantro. While I'm a little frustrated about the slow roll-out of the expanded menu, I'd rather have them do a few things well than become over-extended.

https://phxrailfood.com
Instagram: @phxrailfood