Buckeye anyone?

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
exit2lef

10 months ago

I have a meeting in Buckeye this morning that will end around lunchtime. I've hiked nearby in the White Tanks, but always with a picnic lunch. Searching via Yelp and Google Maps shows mostly chains, but maybe there's a hidden gem I'm missing. Any suggestions? I'm trying to stay near I-10 since I'll have to head back downtown afterward.
exit2lef

10 months ago

Not finding anything worthwhile near my meeting site in Buckeye, I decided to stop halfway back to my office at Piazza Romana in Avondale. This place is under the same ownership as La Piazza al Forno in Glendale and La Piazza PHX in Phoenix, but it’s different in both format and menu.

The specialty is pizza al taglio, described as Roman street food. The pizza is baked in rectangular sheets with a crust that is thick but crisper and more airy than the Neapolitan pies served at the two other places. I had one corner slice each of the caprese and the daily special, which was sausage and red pepper.

Unlike the two full-service La Piazza restaurants, Romana is an order-at-the-counter place. The location is a big stucco shopping center occupied mostly by national chains, a contrast with the urban venues for the other two restaurants.

It was a good lunch for less than $10. I don’t get to Avondale much, so I hope this approach is eventually replicated at a few other sites. Phoenix does very well in terms of full-service, order-by-the-pie pizza places, but it could definitely benefit from more casual places serving pizza by the slice.

10210 W McDowell Rd #120, Avondale, AZ 85392
http://piazzaromanaaz.com
Attachments
CD068645-5210-4D97-BDB1-811E38CF0488.jpeg
CD068645-5210-4D97-BDB1-811E38CF0488.jpeg (233.3 KiB) Viewed 699 times
MAdoubleT

10 months ago

I have been wanting to go there but do not get to that side of town much. I sat next to Justin (Piazza) on a flight to New York where he was doing some training on making the type of pizza. He was super excited about and am looking forward to trying it. Looks great by the pictures.
M_L

9 months ago

He was doing it occasionally at the downtown location. It was pretty excellent and certainly worth checking out. Much like everyone else I rarely get out that direction.