Hash Kitchen - breakfast in Scottsdale

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
LaPan

2 years ago

Heard some rumblings about a new breakfast spot (actually 2 locations just a few miles apart) and with early Arsenal matches (530am the past two match days) a few of us ventured over.

I had the Pork Carnitas hash which was excellent.

My friend Paul had the Corned Beef Hash and licked his griddle dry.

And, finally, Ted had one of their specialties, Breakfast Lasagna. Which sounded better than it turned out. Though it was a heap of food.

We finished off sharing a stack of Lemon Pancakes served with mascapone and real maple syrup. They were deelish and didn't get photographed. FYI, they were actually huge fluffy lemon pancakes, not crepe-like at all.

Bonus: Great brewed coffee. Some of the best basic cups I've had in any restaurant in the area.

A definite upgrade over Butterfields (which I had been told was the goto N. Scottsdale spot). We will definitely return, the rest of the menu has plenty more going for it.

The Hash Kitchen
8777 N Scottsdale Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85253
United States

‭ (480) 947-3214‬

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EndofDiscOne

2 years ago

Hash Kitchen is a good place to have breakfast for all the reasons La Pan lists, and it lies just a mile or so to the west of the Camelback greenway along DoubleTree, so if you are biking on the greenway in the morning, it is a nice stop along the way.

One caveat is that the first Saturday of each month, from 6AM to 9AM, the Scuderia Southwest Cars and Coffee show is held there in the Gainey Ranch parking lot. If you enjoy classic European sports cars, then this will be a happy circumstance, but if you think you can just drive up and park in front of the Hash Kitchen, you may have to work around the neighborhood a bit on those days to find an empty spot.
BarbaraToombs

10 months ago

I and three others went to the Hash Kitchen in Chandler (near Whole Foods on Ray Road) a few weeks ago and were really disappointed. Super crowded, super LOUD music. Ordered what I heard was a "must-have" to start with - the Cannoli donuts - and they were...meh. Hubby ordered the Corned Beef Hash, and after a LOOOONG wait, they brought him the incorrect dish - the Carnitas Hash. The rest of us were finished with our breakfast by the time he got his correct order.

Another of our party ordered the Fruity Pebbles Pancakes, which were described as "fruity pebble infused pancake batter/creme en glace/cereal milk whip." If there was any "infusion" going on, we sure didn't see it - there were just some crushed Fruity Pebbles sprinkled on top of regular pancakes, from what we can tell. His verdict was also "meh."

I ordered the Lump Crab Frittata and was really underwhelmed. The crab was just kind of "dumped" in the middle of the frittata, and the whole thing was not seasoned well at all. Didn't even finish it.

Having said all that - the Bloody Mary Bar was really impressive and really good! :lol:
Desert Gal

10 months ago

North Scottsdale doesn't have much to choose from in the way of great breakfast choices, and I looked forward to the opening of the Hash Kitchen so much I was the second person to walk through the door on the day of their general opening. I remember ordering the signature skillet hash and it was good, having attentive service and leaving happy.

Sadly, I've been back several times since and every visit has been disappointing. I will admit loving the bloody mary bar but that won't get me back in the door. On one visit I ordered the breakfast lasagna and it was basically a bowl of soupy cheese. I couldn't eat it. On other visits, cold eggs, inattentive service, undercooked bacon, impossible to get a coffee refill even after holding my cup up in the air over my head (dick move I know but why change now). Nope, not going back.
MAdoubleT

10 months ago

Some of my favorite in that general North Scottsdale area Breakfast Spots - I will have to do reviews later.

Tom’s Thumb BBQ at Bell and 88th - love their brisket stack for breakfast
Butters at Raintree and Northsight
SugarJam at Redfield and Hayden (Total PFN place - bakery, scratch made biscuits, waffles, omelettes)
Cafe Paris at Hayden and 83rd - basic breakfast does eggs and French toast really well.
Skillet Doux

10 months ago

My issues with Hash Kitchen were kind of all poetically summed up in one of the dishes I had the last time I was there.

The corned beef hash, beyond being bland, had no crisp or sizzle or any sort of freshly griddled character, and yet it was served in a cast iron skillet... that was ice cold.

My opinion of the place is obviously not based on one dish. But I think that one kind of puts a bow on it.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
LaPan

10 months ago

BarbaraToombs wrote:
10 months ago
I and three others went to the Hash Kitchen in Chandler (near Whole Foods on Ray Road) a few weeks ago and were really disappointed.

Having said all that - the Bloody Mary Bar was really impressive and really good! :lol:
I have to agree with all of that. The food was bordering on terrible, too. Sent two out of four dishes back. I haven't been back to the Scottsdale location yet, and have no plans to, either.