FnB - discuss

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
azhotdish

Ronnie wrote:Hi all,

I've read the thread thoroughly, so forgive me if I missed it but is there a place near FnB to get hard liquor and/or cocktails?

Thanks,

=R=
Hi Ronnie - nice to "see" you again! (we met with PIGMON, trixiepea, mikesula @ Lost Leaf about a year ago).

FnB does have a limited bar, but they do make drinks very competently. If you're looking for choices, I would recommend Citizen Public House which is a stone's throw away from FnB, as well as Second Story Liquor Bar or Counter Intuitive only if you're there late on the weekend (CI is open Fri - Sat 10p - 2am). Both are walk-able distance away and will make a good drink.

Cheers!
---
Joel
@azhotdish
Ronnie

Thanks, Joel. With Dom's help (via text), we ended up at CPH, which was very nice, and just a few steps away from FnB. I'd definitely return. I liked their cocktail menu and the crew there was also happy to oblige on off-menu drinks, too. Back bar was fine, though a distant also-ran compared to the inventory at Crudo.

We really enjoyed our meal at FnB, especially some of the starters, which were outstanding. Really loved the sweet pea falafel (meyer lemon tahini, mint), the assortment of hen eggs (perfectly hard-boiled duck, quail and pheasant with olive relish) and the grilled asparagus (crispy polenta, fried egg, chiltepin, parmesan). The lamb riblets (with sherry vinegar, honey, aleppo, coriander, freekah) were fob-tender and unctuous, and we wolfed them down.

Loved the veggie preparations, too. Grilled spicy broccoli with tangerine aioli and crispy onions was great. So too was the heirloom cauliflower with red boat fish sauce (pop!), peanuts, cilantro and mint. The brussels sprouts (chestnuts, grapes, thyme and balsamic honey) were just too sweet for me.

Creekstone Farms ribeye (potatoes, arugula, mushrooms, green garlic butter) was tasty and cooked perfectly to medium rare plus.

I wasn't in love with the guinea hen and pork terrine (mustard, pickled peaches, grilled bread). I just found the terrine itself to be pretty bland. Neither dessert we tried wowed me, either. I liked the chocolate brandy cake with caramel ice cream and chocolate caramel sauce just fine but it wasn't compelling. The old-fashioned butterscotch pudding tasted more like caramel than butterscotch to me. But there were also textural issues - it was grainy and the consistency was more like ganache than pudding.

Loved the AZ wine program (maybe a bit more than the actual wines we tried) and was happy to have access to an E.Z. Orchards Hawk Haus cider. Service was brilliant and the setting, outside on a beautiful evening, could not have been better. In a lot of ways, FnB reminded me of The Publican in Chicago. They serve really distinctive preparations that are seasonal and local. They take a lot of risks and most (but not all) work. I can see why this place is so beloved. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

=R=
PHXeater

Ronnie wrote:Hi all,

I've read the thread thoroughly, so forgive me if I missed it but is there a place near FnB to get hard liquor and/or cocktails?

Thanks,

=R=
Fnb has hard liquor and cocktails. Plus there are a couple bars down the road, and Citizen Public House right across the way for good cocktails as well.
Mike Z

I finally made it to FnB! And it was what I knew it would be. A perfect March early evening to sit on the patio, and Pavle was everything I’d read. My girl was smitten . . . charming, funny, cute, informative, playful . . . such a character, and best of all? So passionate about the chef’s skills and what leaves the kitchen. He gives a personable rundown of some of the menu items, and again passion. To paraphrase, “When Charleen puts it on the menu, you need to have her falafel. You’ve never had it like this. It’s not the hockey puck that you’re used to. No, she makes them to order, and they’re slightly crisp on the outside, and they melt inside”

Just to jump into it . . . he wasn’t blowing smoke. It was the best frickin’ falafel we’ve ever had. Did she just wave them over the top of the oil? Mmm, pardon my French, but . . . Mmmm. If they’re on the menu when you’re there? Get’em

I’ve been following FnB for years, and the actual entrees haven’t really jumped out at me, so the girl and I ordered a handful of lead ups, which was perfect for our night. For wine we rolled with glasses of white and red "Pavle's Blind Date", 'cause . . . if he's going to put his name on it, then I believe he'd do you right. No? Both of us were happy :)

The girl rolls her eyes sometimes when I take pics of food, but at FnB? She was all, Oh, man, you HAVE to get a picture of this
fnbasp.jpg
fnbasp.jpg (110.19 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
Asparagus with chitepin pepper and a fried egg on this . . . holy shite, this perfect amazing fried polenta cake . . . oof . . .
That freaking polenta cake . . . please, just bring me ten of those

Sunchokes with bacon. The one dish that I wouldn’t recommend. Was like funky fingerling potatoes and bacon. Not that it was bad, but it was flat compared to everything else

Cauliflower! Damn. G’damn. I want to say it came with a spring onion salsa. The girl was a bit amazed that the texture and taste reminded her of whitefish, and when we mentioned that to Pavle, he said Charleen adds fish sauce and I think soy. I don’t care what she added, it was the best Cauliflower I’ve had. This is kinda why she’s the Vegetable Whisperer. No?

fnblox.jpg
fnblox.jpg (132.21 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
Lastly, the Langos with smoked salmon, sliced radish, lots of other stuff, and what Pavle called a schmear, but that's dismissive because it was like four schmears worth . . . GORGEOUS . . . oh, baby, so gooooooood . . .

I'll be back to FnB sooner than later
Last edited by Mike Z 5 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
BarbaraToombs

Mike Z wrote:Cauliflower! Damn. G’damn. I want to say it came with a spring onion salsa. The girl was a bit amazed that the texture and taste reminded her of whitefish, and when we mentioned that to Pavle, he said Charleen adds fish sauce and I think soy. I don’t care what she added, it was the best Cauliflower I’ve had.
Isn't it great?!? Charlene normally garnishes this with peanuts, but because I am allergic, she used cashews for me! AND very kindly gave me a bottle of the Red Boat Fish Sauce she uses on that. Great stuff. Glad you were able to finally visit...it has been a while for me...need to get back there.
LaPan

Just adding a couple of selections from yesterday.

From pickled, etc.

And the main

IG @lapaniam