Welcome Chicken + Donuts

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
BarbaraToombs

Just gotta say that Skillet Doux gets the prize on this thread for using the word "panoply."
Desert Gal

BarbaraToombs wrote:Just gotta say that Skillet Doux gets the prize on this thread for using the word "panoply."
I had to look "panoply" up and am still not sure what it means. S.D. is both a food and a word NERD. :lol:
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Desert Gal wrote:
BarbaraToombs wrote:Just gotta say that Skillet Doux gets the prize on this thread for using the word "panoply."
I had to look "panoply" up and am still not sure what it means. S.D. is both a food and a word NERD. :lol:
Please. I am way more kinds of nerd than that.
Dominic Armato
AZScott

Dom, the chicken is Redbird. Back when I competed at comps it was the "almost" perfect chicken thigh to use. The chicken is great but if you are familiar with competition barbecue the skin is wrapped almost all the way around this perfectly trimmed rectangle thigh. Yea, it's weird but it's what is done. Anyways, they trim their skin too tight so for a while I would buy the cheap thighs from Safeway, take the skin off and wrap it around the Redbird thigh. Whatever works I guess. Anyways, back to WC+D.

I went on NY Day to WC+D and was pretty happy with everything. Cool spot, friendly service, great slightly warm plain donut and the Vietnamese chicken. I wasn't amazed by the Vietnamese sauced fried chicken. Sauced with a Vietnamese sauce fried chicken is new to me so I think my brain wasn't registering it right. The chicken was cooked perfectly and I was amazed at how juicy it was. Next time I'm going for the naked chicken and I'm not going solo so I can try a bunch of donuts. I dig this place.
Desert Gal

Skillet Doux wrote: Please. I am way more kinds of nerd than that.
Yes, of course you are! :geek:

Why isn't there a Ms Geek Smily?
Lunchbox

Had an awesome first visit here with the desertdoc family last week... Donuts were good but I can't stop thinking about that chicken... Korean is out of bounds good... Vietnamese was my favorite though... Total umami bomb in the best possible way...

We were with the kids so we ordered some naked and I'm glad we did... I appreciated the sauced versions so much more after getting a taste of them with no sauce. There's definitely some tempura action happening and they are executing perfectly. Kudos to the Welcome crew.

Kids scoping out the selections. They chose one with sprinkles... :o

There was not one loser in this box. Upon retrospect, I really liked the Pinot Noir filled donut. It was complex and not all about the sweetness you normally get.

Closeup of a Korean wing.
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
AZScott

Oh my! These donuts rock. Michael Babcock brought us about 9 or so donuts on Saturday morning when he was picking up barbecue and they are crazy good. I wish I knew what all of them were but the apple fritter with chicharrones made my inner fat boy do a happy dance.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

AZScott wrote:...my inner fat boy do a happy dance.
Then I'd really like to see what your inner fat boy does with this:
Welcome Griddle
Welcome Griddle
wcdbreakfast.jpg (62.62 KiB) Viewed 9198 times
Glazed donut, breakfast sausage patty, fried egg, cheddar. Absurd. Completely absurd. And completely awesome.

I'm not sure if they're still serving this version. It looks like they might be changing the nature of the breakfast griddle from time to time -- there was a photo on their FB page recently of some kind of jalapeno breakfast griddle concoction. But I'm guessing they'll all be worth visiting early (until 10:30).
Dominic Armato
Bax

I just saw on WC+D's Facebook that they're doing a collaboration with Crepe Bar/Jeff Kraus on Saturday Jan. 31. I don't know what that's going to involve, I just know I want to eat it! Hopefully will be able to get away from work long enough to partake....
NightBloom

Bax wrote:I just saw on WC+D's Facebook that they're doing a collaboration with Crepe Bar/Jeff Kraus on Saturday Jan. 31. I don't know what that's going to involve, I just know I want to eat it! Hopefully will be able to get away from work long enough to partake....
Oh hell yeah! Count me in.
CRISTEN :)
IG: oldtownfoodfanatic
davej

I honestly don't know how they get the chicken breast that moist but it was otherworldly.
Mike Z

I leave from physical therapy on my back and go right to this place. I'm definitely my father's son :)

imo sauce on the side is the way to go. I liked all three, the Vietnamese especially, but I think the chicken coated in any of them would be overwhelming.

The plain cake donut was lovely btw

And for anybody who has concerns about where the location is . . . I live near ASU, and it was less than a 15 minute trip there noonish. Easy exit off the 10 at Buckeye, then a mile west

Welcome.jpg
Welcome.jpg (108.13 KiB) Viewed 8962 times
Bax

I introduced a friend to WC+D a couple of weeks ago and he insisted we go again today. My arm did not need twisting.

I decided to try the Japanese BBQ. Eh, it was fine, but definitely overwhelmed the chicken, and I think the Korean does too. The Vietnamese works for me, though and is by far my favorite. I may have to try the on-the-side approach one of these days though.

I also swung by this past Saturday morning on the way to work to get one of the special doughnuts they had -- Meyer lemon marmalade filling, brown butter frosting topped with rosemary flowers and a fried sage leaf. Oh GOODNESS. It made me realize that more things in life should come with brown butter frosting. :)
Bax

So -- did anyone else make it out there today for the Jeff Kraus collaboration specials?

Unfortunately I missed out on the beet/orange marmalade fritter w/ bourbon horseradish glaze, but I did get one of the "Grand Prix" doughnuts -- "raised donut filled with coffee custard, topped with smoked pork jowl, cured egg yolk, crispy crepe and maple glaze." It was good but not as mind-blowing as I'd hoped; the sweetness of the maple glaze overwhelmed everything else a little. Last week's Meyer lemon/brown butter offering was more to my taste.

I went back for lunch and OH am I glad I did, even though it meant waiting in a long-ish and slow-moving line. The special was chicken with "membrillo, chipotle and fermented lemon sauce, roasted pepitas and fresh cilantro paired with Mexican-style pickled carrot and fennel salad and a chipotle lime donut." I thought it was pretty spectacular. Really nice balance of flavors in that sauce, I found it downright addictive. As much as I love the Vietnamese sauce, I'd probably end up ordering this "Sonoran" one every time if it was a regular offering. The carrot/fennel salad was pretty nice too. And the chipotle/limon doughnut has always been my favorite but today's was fresh out of the fryer and WOW.
M_L

Man I hope they make that sauce a regular item, it sounds awesome. As it is I don't really even eat the sauces I just occasionally dip.
Lunchbox

Popped in today for lunch at about 11:30... There were 4 people in front on me... People only trickled in during the noon hour and it wasn't very busy IMHO.

I ordered a 3 piece combo (breast, thigh, drum) with Vietnamese sauce and corn miso butter stir fry and cake donut. The donut was excellent and a perfect companion to the chicken. The corn was a little weak on flavor but I did like that it was clearly cut from the cob by the kitchen team.

I've said it once I'll say it again the Vietnamese sauce is the way to go. It's a total umami bomb and it's something I find myself craving... Fish sauce FTW! This was the first time I ordered a non-wing combo. I know people don't usually dig the breast, but it was my favorite because it was cooked perfectly and the sauce... I don't even need to mention again how good it is... The only thing I missed by not ordering wings was the crunch of the coating the wings have. Otherwise it was a great lunch.
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
artvandelay

Following the advice on here, naked with sauce on the side is the way to go. Another hit today. Two piece combo with the Vietnamese sauce and a key lime doughnut. Loved the doughnut although was a little disappointed they were sold out of the Meyer lemon by the time I got here.
Bax

I too missed the Meyer lemon today; there was ONE left when I got in line, but someone had claimed it by the time I got there. :(

Not only do I enjoy the food, but I also want to heap some praise on Michael Babcock himself. I had an issue with a take-out order recently and Michael went above and beyond to apologize and to more than make it up to me. Terrific customer service; he/they really do care about their customers and about doing things right. It's an attitude that is very much appreciated, and I will continue to enthusiastically recommend the place to anyone who will listen!
Mike Z

On their FB, WC+D announced ramen this Sunday, and I hit it up
Sunday?
Sunday?
Welcome1.jpg (126.08 KiB) Viewed 8407 times
10:30 on a Sunday . . . in an industrial nowhere land with airplanes landing right over your head, and there's a line of people nearly out the door? The kids are doing something right
Ramen
Ramen
Welcome5.jpg (78.58 KiB) Viewed 8407 times
It was a damn tasty bowl of ramen. The broth had a nice flavor, but lacked a depth. That's ok. I wish there was more broth though, seemed pretty skimpy. The kimchee was stellar (though I fished it out quickly so the whole bowl wouldn't taste of kimchee), the egg was the softest softboiled egg I've ever had, and the noodles . . .

I would happily order just a bowl of their handmade noodles. Seriously, you bite into them and you can just feel and taste the love and the skill
Yeah
Yeah
Welcome3.jpg (133.37 KiB) Viewed 8407 times
I'm not a sweets person, but curiosity won out, and I bought a half dozen.
Clockwise from the top left (don't quote me) . . . Cherry Amaretto, Key Lime, Blueberry Cheesecake, Chocolate Rose + Pistachio, Blueberry Cacao, Lemon Poppy

No, I didn't eat all those. I cut out a bite of each, cause I just wanted a taste, and gave the rest to some homeless dude.
Standouts? The Key Lime and the Choc/Rose/Stachio, though every one of them was worthy
chrislee

So....word on the street is that there is supposed to be a chef collab this weekend at WC+D with Charleen of FnB. If that's the case, sure it will be mobbed but we're keeping our eyes out.

We pretty much head here every Saturday now while our 10 yr old is at ballet.

Originally, getting there around 10 or so would result in an empty donut case. They seem to have ramped up their donut production quite a bit though as there is still a respectable case lately around 10:30 (when we normally get there).

We also love that they do vegan donuts now with 2 of our kids being dairy allergic.

4 of these donuts were vegan: apple fritter, classic, blueberry cacao, chocolate almond, coconut.

These were Vietnamese style chicken wings. They were absolutely epic!!!! Amazingly crunchy and the sauce was phenomenal. Definite fish sauce. Sweet, salty, fishy. Sooo good.

And then we finally got our chicken with sauce on the side. We ordered it that way last week but they forgot.

I've got to say that I'm definitely a sauce on the side guy. Heather prefers it that way too. The batter/skin is just amazing. Definitely going to stick with that order regardless of what sauce we go with.

The week before, with sauce (kids love the Japanese BBQ). Still great of course.

Super lucky to have this so near Ballet Arizona!!!