Little Miss BBQ

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
M_L

If it was possible for it to be better than the first time I went. It was. Those beef ribs are freaking huge.
And that was a small rib.
And that was a small rib.
Lil' Miss BBQ.JPG (110.43 KiB) Viewed 8642 times
I think I got there about 3 minutes after 11 and that is what the line was like. I took over a half hour to get inside the door. It was worth it.
AZScott

Thanks for coming down guys. It's always good seeing Phoenix Food Nerds.

As an FYI, we are getting quotes on misting systems right now and we are finding a solution for shade over the line. I'm hoping we can get those issues resolved after the AZ Barbecue Festival. We have been playing with our temps this week and have tried a few ideas out on the briskets so I am glad to hear you think that it's better than before. Now that we are open, I am happy to be geeking out on how to make things better.
Bax

Obviously by now I'm not telling you anything you don't already know when I say "WOW."

As a native Texan (though I haven't lived there in over 20 years) I think I was probably born with an innate desire for barbecue. It's not something I eat often but when the craving hits, nothing else will do. But I'll admit -- I'm a bad Texan. I tend to prefer pork over beef (and I don't mind beans in my chili, but that's another discussion). I almost never order brisket -- partly because I tend to find pig tastier than cow, and partly because it is so often disappointing.

Sadly, I hadn't found barbecue in Phoenix that made me truly happy. Once upon a time Honey Bear's pulled pork came close (and I enjoyed the spicy/tangy sauce) but I've found they've gone downhill and aren't really worth a stop anymore. I've liked what I've gotten at Astor House well enough (hipster barbecue!), but again it's been more about the sauce than the meat. So when I started hearing about the marvels of the brisket at Little Miss, I started to get excited. Brisket like back home? That needs no sauce? That isn't dry and sad? Hallelujah!

Finally made it over there today and it DID NOT disappoint. I already knew what I wanted but Scott recognized me as a first-timer and gave me a sample of the fatty brisket. OH MY GOD. YES. THAT. MORE OF THAT. PLEASE.

I got the 2 meat plate with brisket (both fatty and lean) plus sausage, with cole slaw and the grits. White bread and pickles? Of course. I was pretty sure I wouldn't need any sauce but had her throw in a container of the spicy just in case (got it all to go). The sausage is really good. The grits and cole slaw too. But the brisket is the obvious star of the plate, and made me wish I'd forgone the sausage (as good as it is) and just had brisket brisket brisket. I don't know how I'm ever going to make myself try anything else there; the brisket will always be calling to me!

Some people have commented that they wish it was smokier but I think it's just right. If it was any smokier it would taste like, well, smoke. As it is, it's meaty and peppery and melt-in-your-mouth fatty, super moist and succulent. Really, really lovely. I'm looking forward to my leftovers, and to my next visit! I'm a little sad that the location isn't more convenient but it's probably just as well -- if it was closer I'd be tempted to eat it far too often.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Bax wrote:Some people have commented that they wish it was smokier but I think it's just right.
This is unquestionably a matter of preference. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.

Great report, Bax... thanks :-)
Dominic Armato
Bax

Oh, yes, of course a matter of preference! I didn't mean to suggest otherwise either. :)
LaPan

Take it outside, boys! LOL
IG @lapaniam
katfishkh

Bax wrote: As it is, it's meaty and peppery and melt-in-your-mouth fatty, super moist and succulent.
I had a lovely lunch here today, and was finally able to get Marian over here. She had only had whatever I carted home, and of course it was quite good, but never quite as good as when it just leaves the knife's edge.

The brisket and sausage really popped with flavor today, as well as the sides. The grits were killer! Showed up at 11:05 only to be at the end of a line of about 15 people or so. The beef ribs were 86'd while we still had about six people ahead of us.

Fantastic to see Scott and crew firing on all cylinders today.

Also, Bax, the word succulent is not used near enough these days for my liking. :D I think we may have shared the line today!
Do not resist temptation, you may not get another chance.
m5570

I got there & was 2nd to last customer. Sold out by 12:30. LEGIT & best bbq I've had in awhile. Scott hooked me up w/ what little he had left. Lol.
Dapuma

i got there at 1:30 - too late

glad Scott is selling out every day, good type of problem to have
akurasch

BBQ is a hobby of mine, and I have both competed and I'm a KCBS certified BBQ judge. In fact searching Little Miss BBQ online is what introduced me to this website.

For those that are unaware, Scott and Bekke were the 2012 Arizona Competitive BBQ team of the year under the name Little Miss BBQ. It was at competitions where I first got to know Scott and Bekke.

They have successfully replicated the true Texas BBQ experience here in Arizona, and further they have achieved brisket nirvana. Since my first visit just over a month ago on 2/27 I have had somewhere in the range of 6 to 8 visits. As good as the brisket was a month ago, it has gotten even better. My last visit was this past Thursday 3/27, and I mentioned to Scott that it was his best brisket effort yet. He informed me he had just tweaked the smoking method that prior night. So for those who have mentioned they would like a bit more smoke flavor in the meat, I highly recommend you go back and try again.

I can tell you the pork ribs, beef ribs, pastrami, sausage are all great, the only time I allocate caloric intake to anything other than the Little Miss BBQ brisket is when Scott gives me a sample. I have no interest in having a side, a dessert, a piece of bread, pickle, or onion because my goal when I go is to savor each and every smokey bite of the best brisket west of Austin.

I recommend you get down there and try it while there are still only 15 - 30 minute waits before it turns into 1 - 2 hour waits. Bravo Scott and Bekke!
M_L

akurasch wrote:I recommend you get down there and try it while there are still only 15 - 30 minute waits before it turns into 1 - 2 hour waits.
This is what I am dreading. Awesome for Scott and Bekke, disaster for those of us with a finite amount of time for lunch during the week that need to get our fix of BBQ.
AZScott

That's the last thing we want to happen. We are contemplating opening an hour earlier so that their is a larger lunch period that we are open. We think that will reduce our line. If we change the hours, I'll let you know.
M_L

Just to be clear I did not mean to say I was unhappy waiting only that with a product this good it is inevitable that the wait will increase. (Nor was it in any way a criticism, having lived in TX I understand how the lines work at the good BBQ places) However, if you can figure out a way to effectively mitigate that and spread the crowd out, awesome.
akurasch

Perhaps acquiring the property next door and another smoker. :D
LaPan

Sloooow down, cowboy.

They just opened and ANYBODY who's ever run a place knows that expansion is NOT the first thing you do. Rarely the second or third, too.

We'll all get our meat, in good time.
IG @lapaniam
Bax

LaPan wrote:Take it outside, boys! LOL
Misleading nickname aside, I am not a boy. :)

Also, I really wasn't trying to be contrary, I was agreeing!

Lisa (Bax)
BillBuitenhuys

Got to try the brisket at the AZ BBQ Fest a few weeks back and finally made it down there for lunch today.

Wow. The line was about 15 people deep before the doors opened at 11. Scott started passing pieces of brisket to those of us up at the front to a collective "ohmygodthisisamazing" murmur. I got the fatty brisket plate with grits and beans. My co-worker got the fatty brisket and pastrami platter and was kind enough to share some pastrami. No need to rave on about the brisket as all the posts above have done it justice. The pastrami is also killer.

Talking on the ride back to work, we both felt that while we were full, if there had been more on our plates, the ridiculously good flavor of that bark and meat would override any brain receptors trying to tell us to stop eating.

I so want to try the ribs and sausage and turkey. All of it looked amazing. Scott's dad, tending the smoker, told us that the sausage is made daily with trimmings. He walked us through the smoker from fire box (burning oak at the moment) to the brisket smoking on the most stable area on the far left. He talked about the care and feeding of the brisket from the all day smoker (that runs from about 9am to 9pm) to the temp controlled ovens that the briskets sit in all night so they reach that perfect place when it's time for lunch. This passion is wonderful to see and sure shows up on the plate.
BillBuitenhuys

Are the nominations open yet for 2015 PFN Awards? :mrgreen:
MAdoubleT

I do not think you will get any arguments for an award!

Scott hooked me up last Thursday. I had a party at my house for 16 guys. 7 lbs brisket 5 lbs pastrami with some sausage and turkey as well. I think we easily could have done more damage. All gone, all scraps eaten and half the guys went back Friday/Saturday for more.

Lil Miss BBQ is where I am sending any out of town guests arriving from the airport for lunch. People used to land and head to Bianco, soon it will be land and head to LIl Miss BBQ.

Before and after from a 5 man 6lb lunch.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (99.18 KiB) Viewed 8164 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (98.49 KiB) Viewed 8164 times
Mike Z

image.jpg
image.jpg (154.61 KiB) Viewed 8060 times
If you want to torture yourself, here's what you do:

You arrive at Little Miss BBQ, and as soon as you get out of the car the scent of the smoker swarms you. You stand in line even closer to the smoker, enveloped in it's aroma for 10-15 minutes. When you get inside Scott gives you a sample of the fatty brisket, then . . . you order their brisket To Go!

Watch Scott weigh it, watch them package it up. Now you have to drive home with the taste on your tongue, the perfume of the smoker in your clothes, and the package sitting within arms reach. Wait at a few red lights to extend the torment. Find yourself a street with construction to further test your willpower. If you can make it home without having a teeny tiny taste, consider yourself a Jedi Master or Gandhi reincarnated