Little Miss BBQ

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
Lunchbox

5 years ago

I'm super excited that our own AZScott's Central Texas Style BBQ Joint is opening today!

The pics from their Facebook page look legit...
1507850_716800181697539_790538382_n.jpg
1507850_716800181697539_790538382_n.jpg (102.56 KiB) Viewed 8269 times
I'm not going to be able to get over there until next week but I can't wait to try it out! Congrats Scott and Crew!

Little Miss BBQ
4301 E. University Dr.
Phoenix, AZ 85034
602-339-0821
http://www.littlemissbbq.com/
Tuesday - Saturday 11:00 am - 4:00 pm or until sold out
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Mike Z

5 years ago

Was over thisaways today so stopped in for lunch, got to meet Scott. It's the real deal . . .
IMG_2779.JPG
Two meat plate with a Cheddar Jalapeno Sausage
IMG_2779.JPG (134.74 KiB) Viewed 8073 times

This is a Jalapeno Cheddar Sausage and the two meat plate . . . briskett, pork, jalapeno cheddar grits, slaw. I'd prefer a bit more smokiness to the meat, but it was still excellent, and maybe that will come in time
Little Miss BBQ.jpg
Little Miss BBQ.jpg (182.93 KiB) Viewed 8073 times

As you can see, they were already doing brisk business. The comments I overheard were all positive.
Considering the area, I was surprised how slick everything was. The place really stands out as bright with clean lines. Nice big covered area outside with picnic tables, a showcase for the BEAUTIFUL gigantic smoker, and seating inside as well. Using the trees like they are just sitting in the big planters was a cool idea too. No liquor license, but they're looking to get a BYOB

So yeah, Food Nerd does good. Definitely check the place out
Lunchbox

5 years ago

I went today for lunch. Legit. House made sausage was nice. Brisket was the highlight. Great rub, nice smoke. Tender and juicy.

There was a line at 11 when they opened the doors of about 10 people... A couple of people were repeat customers already. The health inspector was also there... Which meant some of the sides weren't available yet as they weren't up to temp for his standards. I wanted to try the grits and beans but the warmer was giving some problems and the inspector wanted them warmer. No biggie. Cole slaw and potato salad were good but nothing special. You're going for the meat anyway...

-- LBX

exit2lef

5 years ago

I can tell from the photos that this is indeed the old La Canasta Burrito Shoppe. I used to work nearby. They've really made the space their own, and I believe La Canasta is operating at a new location a short distance away on 40th St.
M_L

5 years ago

Just got back from our lunch here and I have nothing but great things to say. It was fantastic. The brisket is top notch. Does not need sauce at all, although I really like the sweet mustard sauce. The spicy sauce could have some more kick to it in my opinion, but was decent. The ribs, turkey, and sausage were great but the brisket for me was the real standout.

The sides I tried were good, my favorite were the grits.

There was already a fair bit of a line when the bulk of us got there around 11 and the parking lot filled up fast. As always a great time and congrats to AZScott on doing a bang up job.
Mike Z

5 years ago

Awesome PHXfoodnerd lunch today . . . We done good: 3.3lbs of brisket, 3lbs of pulled pork, 3lbs of pork ribs, near a lb of turkey, 4 sausages, 2 pints each of jalapeño cheese grits and beans, pint each of slaw and potato salad

Sides already dug into, and good luck getting a picture of 13lbs of BBQ without hands in the way!
image.jpg
image.jpg (138.46 KiB) Viewed 7864 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (106.4 KiB) Viewed 7864 times
Lunchbox

5 years ago

I think this says it all... Posted at 2 p.m. on their Facebook page.
lmbbq.jpg
lmbbq.jpg (68.36 KiB) Viewed 7859 times
Great lunch today. Got to try the pork shoulder and the turkey. Both good stuff. The sausage was better today than it was the other day (not to say that it wasn't good the other day, but it was just really good today). Rib was excellent. I like the Mustard BBQ sauce more each time I eat it. I heard people mention that the sauce was a little too sweet for them but that's the way I like it so I appreciate it. Got to also try the beans and grits which I didn't get the other day. Beans had a nice kick to them but I expected more from the grits. They were good but for "jalepeno" grits I was expecting more heat. Good stuff though and a perfect day to eat outside with fellow nerds.

-- LBX

Desert Gal

5 years ago

Dam good Q! And regarding them being sold out, I recall someone telling them or get an extra pig 'cause the Food Nerds were comin'. We warned them, just sayin'.
MyLifeOnVacatio

5 years ago

Well, that was fun! Having just visited Austin a month ago and visiting several BBQ trucks there, Little Miss absolutely hit the spot. Not as heavily seasoned as examples in Austin (I'm looking at you, La Barbeque), but capturing that fun vibe of sitting around picnic tables enjoying a plate of smokey meat goodness just like in Texas. Can't wait to take Mr. Vacation to sample this great homemade sausage and brisket. I particularly liked the jalapeño grits, and the slightly sweet sauce was also very much up my alley. Everything went up a notch when a whole loaf of soft white bread appeared along with a big plate of onions and pickles. Get there early, folks!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394245019.045028.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394245019.045028.jpg (137.62 KiB) Viewed 7793 times
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394245037.860312.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394245037.860312.jpg (135.37 KiB) Viewed 7793 times
LaPan

5 years ago

Having run a specialty fresh, quality food cafe, selling out is GREAT.
GoBlue18

5 years ago

Disappointed I missed the group on Friday as I was running ONLY an hour and a half late. But I was still able to stop by and grab the last of the brisket and a sausage, along with the grits and potato salad.

I only really had enough time to get a take-out order and cart it back to the office. Even after sitting for awhile, everything was fantastic. But really enjoyed the brisket. There's a place in Chicago (can't remember the name offhand) that's one of my favorite but I think this brisket is a great rival to that. Really looking forward to a return trip to sample more of the bbq.
Lunchbox wrote:Beans had a nice kick to them but I expected more from the grits. They were good but for "jalepeno" grits I was expecting more heat.
So I was expecting the same heat from the jalepeno cheddar grits. But I actually appreciated the subtle jalepeno and heat instead of what could have been an overpowering flavor. To each his own I guess!
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394318982.347553.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394318982.347553.jpg (100.18 KiB) Viewed 7671 times
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

I figured, well, everybody has already posted a bunch of pictures, and do we rea-- ah, screw it.
littlemissbbqinterior.jpg
littlemissbbqinterior.jpg (124.42 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
It's a cute place inside, but it's all about those picnic tables. I love it. Huge picnic tables, under shade, right next to the smoker, jets flying overhead -- this just feels right.
littlemissbbqmenu.jpg
The Menu. And Scott.
littlemissbbqmenu.jpg (96.87 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
I'll be curious to see what they work into the regular rotation. Rumor has it they were doing a little boudin last weekend. Did you get over there to check it out, katfishkh?
littlemissbbqrig.jpg
littlemissbbqrig.jpg (108.84 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
Rig envy? Yes. Of course, I have no rig, so I have rig envy for pretty much any rig. But if I DID have a rig, I'm quite confident I'd still be suffering rig envy.
littlemissbbqfuel.jpg
littlemissbbqfuel.jpg (181.4 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
Scott's pop gave us a little tour of the facilities, and IIRC they're mostly using oak at the moment, with a little mesquite thrown in on occasion (though I'm not certain about the latter). It makes for a fairly light smoke, and I actually tend to prefer a more intense smoke flavor, but I found that I really dug this stuff despite my preferences. But more on that shortly.
littlemissbbqporkandbrisket.jpg
Pork and Brisket
littlemissbbqporkandbrisket.jpg (128.07 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
Oh yes. Yes, that'll do. The pork is in the foreground, and the brisket is hiding in the back. If I were to search for things to nitpick, I'd say that I dig bark with a little more bite. Much of the bark was quite soft, and you had to hunt a little to get some of the good, chewy stuff. If I were to set aside minor details for a place that -- let's stress -- had been open for a whole week, I'd say these guys are raising the bar for BBQ in Phoenix. To me, this is a significant step up from anything else I've had in town. And I find this really exciting.
littlemissbbqribs.jpg
Ribs
littlemissbbqribs.jpg (143.6 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
Check out that grease signature. Thing of beauty, really.
littlemissbbqsausage.jpg
Sausage
littlemissbbqsausage.jpg (125.38 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
I loved the sausage. Loved it. It was really unconventional, but so, so good. We were kind of marveling at it on our end of the table. A touch more salt would do, I think, but man, that aside, killer stuff. Great grind, beautifully seasoned, perfect links with nice snap, and an unusually light, fresh flavor for smoked sausage. Scott mentioned -- and Scott, please correct me if I get this wrong -- that they were shooting for a sort of a lighter, fresher flavor, and they hit it on the nose. A slightly atypical twist, pulled off with panache. Strong work.
littlemissbbqsauces.jpg
Mustard, Spicy, Regular, Tapatio ... (Wet Ones)
littlemissbbqsauces.jpg (93.49 KiB) Viewed 7580 times
Again, if I'm going crazy about picking nits, the sauces -- while delicious -- are a little on the sweet side for my tastes. And yeah, I'm with those above -- I'd love some more heat in that spicy sauce (adding Tapatio just screws it all up). But I stress that these are both a matter of personal taste, because by any objective measure they're delicious sauces, and rather than simply being about sugar, they all had a great, solid, vinegary kick to balance that sweetness.

Again... yeah, this is really exciting. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that in under six months, their biggest challenge is going to be dealing with demand. But I'm not that worried. Great work, Scott et. al. This is a place to get excited about :-)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Tuesday. 12:30. Sold out.

Y'know. Texas style :-)

(Congrats, Scott!)
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
AZScott

5 years ago

Thanks Dom! Things have been pretty hectic around here. As a new restaurant, it's a welcome problem.

I know some people posted some things that have come up. Our sausage is a work in process and we are trying to arrive at a final "house" sausage that is light enough for heat averse people while still having a little back end kick for those that like that. The batch we made last night has more jalapeños and a bunch of fresh garlic. It's getting closer to what I see in my head. Once we have that recipe finalized, I'm going to play with other specialty sausages. One thing that I learned competing and in a life long ago in culinary school, is that balance is everything. When a new team would ask me what flavor profile they should go after I always told them the most incredible generic flavor you can. With our barbecue, we try to balance the pepper, salt, cayenne, smoke,etc so that nothing overpowers the other. Exceptional generic.

Our sauce is sweet and perhaps I have personally compared it to our competition sauce which is really good but it is pushing the flavor profile extremes. I think I'll play with a bit and see what reducing some sugar does to it. The spicy sauce now has more kick but not enough to overpower everything.

Desserts are coming but I just need to psych myself up to make them. We are planning a salted caramel banana pudding and a mexican chocolate pot de creme. The pot de creme is one of my favorites and some of you may remember it from when Bernie Kantack was over at Cowboy Ciao. It's his recipe and he's been kind enough to give it to me.

Once again, thanks everyone for the support and for checking us out. We have had quite a few people come in after reading this thread which is great. This Saturday I'll be on JanD'Atri show and then next Wednesday I'll be on Restaurant Live AZ. Crazy.
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Managed to get here a little earlier today -- Noon, on the dot -- and just missed the brisket, but had our pick of everything else. Scott did mention that they intend to up their volume substantially next week, so we'll see how that shakes out. And some of the faces I saw having lunch would indicate that they're about to get a lot busier, too. I'm in the camp that would rather they sell out of a killer product at 12:30 than serve a lesser product until 4:00, but I'm not too worried... they seem to know just what they're doing :-)

One fun special today was a little pastrami. Big, big flavor on that stuff. I don't think I'd pick it over the brisket, but a fun change of pace item.

Everything else was stellar. The jalapeno in the sausage was a little more pronounced on this batch, which I loved. Pork shoulder and ribs were excellent as before. My folks are in town for the week, and my father is pledging to return before they go back home this weekend.

Also -- there was one beef belly on the smoker for tomorrow. I have a hunch that'll disappear right quick.

Second visit reinforces the first for me. This is upping the ante for BBQ in Phoenix. Really excited, guys!
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
BarbaraToombs

5 years ago

Gotta get back there, especially since it's right around the corner from me!

Looks like the cat's outta the bag in the food world, too, judging by the myriad of Instagram/Facebook posts I've seen lately (Chow Bella is planning a visit soon, apparently). Proud we "discovered" it first! :D
M_L

5 years ago

BarbaraToombs wrote:Proud we "discovered" it first! :D
Having an inside person often helps for that. Sometimes having an unfair advantage is a very good thing.

:twisted:
RickieLeigh

5 years ago

Hit this place up for lunch today. Apparently Saturdays are their slow days, for any of you looking to lunch leisurely and still get your pick of meat. Arrived at 12:30 and the beef short ribs were already out, but everything else was on the menu, and we tried it all. It was an explosion of pork, beef, and sausage accompanied by all those tasty sides. (Jalapeno cheddar grits, who'd a thunk it?)

The brisket in particular was amazing. I tend to avoid most brisket on menus, because more often than not it's over-rendered and resembles dry nasty leather instead of melt-in-your-mouth, slow-roasted glory. Little Miss BBQ is definitely in the second category. We got the fatty brisket instead of the lean brisket, and it has ruined me for any other brisket, like, ever. Actually, the meal as a whole has probably ruined me for other 'cue in the Valley.

The smoked turkey was the only thing we had which was just okay, but then again, it's turkey. And to be fair, it was very juicy, just not that flavorful in terms of smoke or rub. No need to order that over a tempting pile 'o pork in the future!
Mike Z

5 years ago

RickieLeigh wrote:Apparently Saturdays are their slow days, for any of you looking to lunch leisurely and still get your pick of meat. Arrived at 12:30 and the beef short ribs were already out, but everything else was on the menu

That's good info, going to have to keep that in mind
Lunchbox

5 years ago

Lunch at Little Miss BBQ today and the lines just keep getting longer. (Thanks M_L for letting ride your coattails and ordering a bit extra for me so I didn't have to wait in line.) Brisket was incredible today. Beef ribs were awesome. I think they're only served on Friday and Saturday. Looks like they sold out of everything by 2:00 today... Get there early or you're going to miss out... I wish he would get his BYOB liquor license... I could see hanging out on the patio and having a few beers and some BBQ. Someday... :D
IMG_0785.jpg
This is the line at 11:11 a.m. this morning.
IMG_0785.jpg (133.14 KiB) Viewed 6897 times
Incidentally Scott was on the Restaurant Live AZ podcast this week and it was a super interesting to hear him talk about getting this place up and running and his history in Competition BBQ.
-- LBX