The Gladly

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
Dapuma

5 years ago

Went to check out The Gladly tonight and it was a mixed bag, I think they still need a bit of work but like CPH I am sure it will be good once they get all the kinks worked out

Cocktails: Tried out the: COMMONWEALTH
Don Q añejo rum, brown sugar & rosemary simple syrup, orange bitters, orange peel, Marasca cherry, seltzer, rocks

It was drinkable, however not particularly inspired - It was basically rum, simple, club soda...if you are making this drink you better be using a top shelf rum, Don Q is not it - certainly would not order this again, pretty easy to make if I feel especially lazy at home and just about every rum I have is better than this rum for this purpose
GOLDSMITH
Nolet’s gin, Lillet blanc, fennel simple syrup, lemon, Liquore Galliano mist, rocks

Came in a Collins glass with a salt rim, certainly not what I was expecting and I was surprised. I did enjoy this cocktail, it was bright refreshing and floral - I don't think I could drink more than 1 of them but certainly worth ordering, it does have some punch to it, but not overbearing, which was quite nice - I deem this one a worthy addition to the cocktail menu

Still would rather have pretty much any drink at Crudo, I find CPH and The Gladly drinks lacking citrus to round out the cocktail menu and they generally are light on rum cocktails (with the Commonwealth being the only one) so I am still slightly disappointed with the two locations cocktail offerings overall (heavy whiskehy / bourbon focus), that being said if you are a bourbon whiskey fan then you will probably enjoy what they are making

Don't get me wrong they are making good drinks - I just think there is room for improvement / balancing the menu out - get some limes (+rum) going in some of the drinks please :)

On to the food:

Vietnamese Pepper Shrimp - an ok dish, 3 out of 5 - shrimp was well done and there was a crispy rice disk in the center which was the best part, the sauce tasted like san marzano tomatoes mixed with sweet chili sauce, which was tasty if not particularly memorable - they got a nice crispiness on the rice which was the best part

The Chicken Liver Pate was delicious – upon the initial serving of the dish the toast points it came with were rock hard, like they had been sitting out all day, upon request of new toast points (we ate the shrimp while waiting) when they came out the dish was excellent, it came with pickled onions, mustard, capers and all together was very enjoyable – Great version of this dish, would highly recommend it to anyone who likes Chicken Liver Pate

We got for our main courses the Duck Ramen, which was salty to the inedible. That being said we did try the duck ham, which was pretty good (heavily salted) and tried pouring water into the broth to dilute it down, however the flavor not seasoning was SALT as Dom would say, and neither one of us could eat it. We told the waiter that he might want to let the chef know it was really salty and ordered dessert as we have always had good luck with the bread pudding at CPH and this version was Buttermilk Bread pudding with ice cream and blueberries, which was excellent. The buttermilk toned down the sweetness and the meal ended nicely. The waiter was kind enough to credit off the Duck Ramen and dessert for the various issues, which we did not ask for nor expect, which was very generous in our opinion.

I think they are still working out some kinks, and to my view the cocktail menu could use a few more additions but they have a successful formula and a good location, I am sure they will do well
Dapuma

5 years ago

http://blogs.phoenixnewtimes.com/bella/ ... e.php#more

Pretty much what I said...except probably with less typos, sentence fragments, and pop ups :)
BarbaraToombs

5 years ago

When here for lunch last week with themis & I Heart Math and really enjoyed it.

We all shared the aforementioned Pistachio Chicken Liver Pate and it was as good as billed:

Seriously tasty, and the server very kindly brought us extra toast, every bit of which was used.

We each decided to go with a different sandwich and share. I chose the "Smart Chicken":

This was pretty darn tasty, with an avocado tzatziki, pickled red onion, mizuna, tomato. Nice potato salad, too.

Sorry, no pics of the other two sandwiches, but themis opted for the Pork Belly Banh Mi, which was a little too much bread for me, but the pork belly itself was great. Finished with pickled daikon, carrot, cucumber, cilantro, mint.

I Heart Math had the winner of the day, we all thought: the Pigstrami: smoked pork butt, Swiss, Brussels sprout sauerkraut (not too "sour"--yay), Dijon, on rye of course. Really, really good.

Definitely want to go here again...the bar looked fantastic, and I heard rumors of Negroni on TAP?!?! Whaaatttt?!?! :D
Lunchbox

5 years ago

I don't know why, but I just can't get excited about this place...
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
DesertDoc

5 years ago

LB,

It's actually a pretty nice place, and a lot closer to us than CPH. I think they are still ironing out some of the kitchen issues, but the service and bar are top notch.

We'll have to go out with you guys, and maybe bring all the kids. My daughter devoured the sausage and pretzel bread when we went during RW.
phxmacbear

5 years ago

Had one of the most pleasant, all-around satisfying meals I've had in a LONG time at the Gladly a couple of weeks ago.
We had some friends visiting and they chose The Gladly from a variety of choices I provided.

While waiting for them to arrive, husband and I sat at the bar and ordered the chicken liver pate and a couple of drinks. The Thai Margarita was one of the best cocktails I've had, though I was a *bit* disappointed when it was served with standard basil instead of Thai basil, and the promised Kaffir lime was a standard lime. The pate, as others have noted, was excellent.

Friends arrived and we moved to a table where more appetizers were ordered (I remember fondue and a sausage and cheese plate with pretzel bread), then entrees of scallops, pork chop and steak, all of which were seasoned in various unique ways, and served with delightfully-described accouterments, none of which I can recall now. But this was some seriously tasty grub.

If you follow my posts on here you know I'm a sucker for cheap ethnic foods served in dingy places and NOT one for a "meat-and-potatoes"/steakhouse kind of meal, so I surprise myself in saying that I really REALLY enjoyed this non-ethnic and rather pricey meal.

(P.S. - Our server HIGHLY recommended the scallops, so husband ordered them. I tried one, and they were pretty damn good. And I'm not one for seafood, really. But these were melt-in-your-mouth tender and quite delicious.)
davegorton54

5 years ago

Had an outstanding lunch here on Monday with my Dad and brother.

Started with the chicken wings which are lightly smoked and then finished on the grill. These things are beautiful. Topped with a bit of micro-basil and an outrageous Pt. Reyes Blue Cheese Dressing. A perfect way to start a meal.

My brother and I each had the Pigstrami sandwich for my entree. Served on rye bread with the same CPH brussels sprout kraut and dijon mustard, this is pork loin aggressively cured with pastrami spice. It's nothing super ground-breaking, but it's delicious and perfectly griddled. My dad went with the BLT which is enormously thick bacon (1/2 inch minimum), lettuce, tomato, and aioli on a pretzel bun. Being from the midwest, he thought the pretzel bun was overkill (it wasn't Wonder Bread) but said the sandwich was really good.

Service was fantastic and everything was chased down with a couple of Lagunitas IPAs. A really strong lunch with great company and I'd be happy to return anytime.
azhotdish

5 years ago

Feel like an idiot for not getting to this place until last week, where I went twice in a week for this event and this one. Eight sampled cocktails later and a whole lot of food, I'm convinced - this place has some of the original soul of Citizen Public House in the beginning. Need to get back here soon for a regular meal.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
LaPan

5 years ago

I'm with Dad. Pretzel buns are always overkill. Like burgers on doughnuts.
azhotdish

4 years ago

Really nice lunch at The Gladly last week with the wife - need to remember they are open for lunch. We sat at the bar and got very good service from the bartender (Brian, perhaps?). Good crowd in there mid-week, so that's always nice to see.
gladly_bread_1200px.jpg
NOBLE BREAD: house-cultured lemon-thyme butter, Maldon sea salt, marinated olives
gladly_bread_1200px.jpg (95.78 KiB) Viewed 5404 times
Exactly what it looks like - nothing not to like here.
gladly_melon_1200px.jpg
HOUSEMADE BUTTERMILK RICOTTA: melon, Calabrian chile honey, mint oil, pine nuts
gladly_melon_1200px.jpg (72.21 KiB) Viewed 5404 times
With some of the salt from the bread service sprinkled on top of the creamy ricotta, this was a really tasty dish. Great textures and flavors going on.
gladly_tuna_1200px.jpg
SEARED SPICY TUNA: jicama pineapple pico de gallo, tamarind glaze, micro cilantro
gladly_tuna_1200px.jpg (77.49 KiB) Viewed 5404 times
Didn't try this - this was the wife's entree (though it's listed as an appetizer - good portion). Pretty rare, but really good quality tuna. She enjoyed it.
gladly_pigstrami_1200px.jpg
THE PIGSTRAMI: cured & smoked pork butt, Swiss chesse, Brussels sprout sauerkraut, Dijon, rye bread
gladly_pigstrami_1200px.jpg (115.57 KiB) Viewed 5404 times
I've had this pastrami on its own at Citizen Public House a couple times, but never as the sandwich. Love the brussel sprout slaw on this - huge hit of coriander that works really well. Nice crispy fries on the side.
gladly_rhetoric_1200px.jpg
Orphan Barrel's Rhetoric Bourbon
gladly_rhetoric_1200px.jpg (138.41 KiB) Viewed 5404 times
Maybe I don't recommend this for lunch, but I DO recommend it.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
BillBuitenhuys

4 years ago

It's been far too long since our last Gladly visit! Pastrami sandwich! wow.

How was that Rhetoric? I've only had the Barterhouse from this line and it was luverly.
azhotdish

4 years ago

BillBuitenhuys wrote:How was that Rhetoric? I've only had the Barterhouse from this line and it was luverly.
A lot of wood (20 yrs will do that), a lot of spice and a lot of dried fruit in there. Pretty big bourbon - enjoyed it.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
Skillet Doux

4 years ago

Okay... that kicked ass.

I'm among those who felt that Citizen was not at its best while Kantak was opening up The Gladly, so I didn't rush over when the latter opened, but I'm going to now consider that a personal failing on my part. I finally got over here, grabbed a few dishes about an hour before close on a Sunday, and had one of my best meals of the year. I asked them to bring me two starters and a main, kitchen's best foot forward -- whatever they're most jazzed about at the moment. And I got these:
gladlytuna.jpg
Seared Spicy Tuna
gladlytuna.jpg (97.86 KiB) Viewed 5115 times
Looks like the same dish that petitfromageaz had, hotdish, and it's really nice. Just the faintest sear around the outside edge, crusted with aleppo pepper, some light and crisp jicama, pineapple, a little fresh green chile, and a very, very restrained tamarind glaze. Really well balanced, fresh and delicious, enough going on that it was interesting and the flavors popped, but not so much that it got too busy. Really delicious.
gladlyporkbelly.jpg
Madras Curry Pork Belly
gladlyporkbelly.jpg (93.24 KiB) Viewed 5115 times
Loved this dish. American dish, Asian flavors, and man, were those flavors used beautifully. The pork belly was treated with Madras curry, but only just so -- admirable restraint with its use. The dish was really more about the coconut, with a little chile oil and cashews. And I love when a dish reads my mind. Two bites in I'm thinking, gads, this is delicious but it just needs a hint of sweet and a touch of vinegar, and-- wait, what's under the pea tendrils here? Pickles. Perfect. Stellar dish.
gladlychicken.jpg
Chimichurri Chicken
gladlychicken.jpg (120.22 KiB) Viewed 5115 times
CUMIN. Man, this smells like cumin as it's hitting the table. Is it going to taste like anything else? Yes. A lot of things, it turns out, only one of which is cumin. And this is why I love asking them to send out whatever they're excited about, because I'd probably have to come here four or five times before I considered ordering a chicken breast. But they rocked this. Big and juicy chicken with crisp skin, covered with a potent herb chimichurri -- very light on the vinegar, which I think suited this dish perfectly -- served over a pile of creamy potatoes that the menu identified as being hit with "stamp chiles" (any idea what they heck those are?... never heard of them), but which tasted to me like they were made with about a quarter cup of smoky pimentón (a good thing). Huge, twenty kiloton flavor kind of dish. Big and busy and spicy and all kinds of delicious.

Three dishes, three big wins. Seriously, one of the best meals I've had this year. I can't speak to the trendlines, but this snapshot was of a damn fine restaurant. Need to get back quickly.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
BillBuitenhuys

4 years ago

I think you captured The Gladly really well, Dom. It seems that Bernie is spending much more time there than at CPH (just my impression) and that the innovation focus is at The Gladly. I haven't seen a drop in quality at CPH though, just maybe a bit less excitement.
Skillet Doux

4 years ago

Yeah, it's his food, drawing from a broader palette. What I had last night was tighter than anything I ever had at CPH, though. Which is not to say that I haven't had some great things at CPH, just that they totally killed it last night.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Tallen234

4 years ago

We are thinking about going this Saturday with a larger group (8 or 10). How loud is the restaurant? There are some folks in our group who actually want to speak with each other. Maybe a private room?
davegorton54

4 years ago

My wife and I have been consistently going to The Gladly for Happy Hour for the past 3-4 months. It's one of the great deals in Phoenix with $3 beers, $5 wine, and a 1/2 dozen half priced appetizers. We get the Pretzel, Sausage, and Cheese about every time and it is always good (with some super hot mustard). The wings are solid and the brussels sprouts are great.

Last weekend I popped in by myself with the intent of trying a couple of new dishes. I went with the chicken liver pate (superb) and the pork belly that SkilletDoux mentions upthread. This was, without question, the best pork belly dish I've ever had. It was perfectly balanced with just a whiff of curry. The lightly pickled cucumber cuts the richness of the meat. This is a dish that cannot be improved upon.

This restaurant gets better and better each time I go.
M_L

4 years ago

Finally hit up The Gladly on Sunday. Amazing that I had not yet been here considering it is about 5 minutes from my house. None of the mains really captured our attention when we looked at the menu (my wife does not eat mushrooms one her very few wont eats so that knocked out several of the ones I would have pushed for) so we ended up going with several sides.

Hillbilly eggroll: clever, I enjoyed it but the Lil Miss BBQ gets pretty dried out in the process but it is still an interesting item to try. They also serve a slaw with this that EH really really liked. I could understand why she liked it so much but it was a little tame for my preference.
Brussels Sprouts: The Brussels were enjoyable, and I like the grits but the are almost too creamy for my preference I would have preferred a bit more texture, however EH thought it was perfect.
Original Chopped: No comment required.

Banana Creme Pot thing: Wow, this is a stupendous dessert. Great flavor and a perfect amount for the two of us to split and still not end up overly full. As far as pudding like items go it may surpass my love of FnB Butterscotch pudding. However I have always had a weakness for Banana Pudding type items.

Definitely several items we wanted to try that just were not hungry enough to get to. All in all despite looking a bit pricey when viewing the menu the final tab was very reasonable considering how much food we got. I am certain it being happy hour all day Sunday did not hurt, EH's beer was cheaper than my lemonade.
Skillet Doux

4 years ago

More delicious stuff from The Gladly:
gladlysquashsoup.jpg
Butternut Squash Soup
gladlysquashsoup.jpg (72.98 KiB) Viewed 4157 times
Wooooo, buddy, was this intense. In a good way. A really thick, sweet butternut squash puree with toasted pepitas, some gorgonzola crumbles, and currants. Big flavor. I could've had half the amount.
gladlybrisket.jpg
Smoked Brisket Sandwich
gladlybrisket.jpg (119.12 KiB) Viewed 4157 times
Ooooo, yeah, this is really good. Smartest choice on the menu? Not calling it corned beef or pastrami. Don't set that expectation. Just let it be what it is, which is some really tender, smoky, juniper-scented brisket on toasty rye with slaw and Russian dressing. Excellent sandwich. Though when it comes to the house-made ketchup to go along with the fried, I subscribe to Jeffery Steingarten's theory. Mass-market or no, Heinz is the pinnacle of ketchup technology. As Omar Little put it, you come at the king, you best not miss.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
ScottofStrand

3 years ago

I finally got in to check out the Gladly for an early birthday dinner. Really tasty food, all around. The standouts for the night were the Duck Meatloaf and the Banana Pudding Jar.
Duck Meatloaf.JPG
Duck Meatloaf-foie gras mousseline, smoked cherry demi-glace, rosemary millet, grilled asparagus
Duck Meatloaf.JPG (110.1 KiB) Viewed 3347 times
There was a richness to this meatloaf that reminded me of grandmas chopped liver, not even including the foie mousse. Really an interesting take on comfort food.
Banana Jar.JPG
Banana Creme Jar-vanilla pudding, banana, salted caramel, whipped cream, peanut butter cookies
Banana Jar.JPG (83.09 KiB) Viewed 3347 times
Yeah, this is right up there on satisfying desserts with FnB's Butterscotch pudding. Caramel, Vanilla pudding, banana and nice light peanut butter cookies. Hard to go wrong.

The Chimichurri Chicken was great. The BBQ Bone-in Pork Belly dish was pretty good, too, though the cole slaw served with it was a bit bland.

All-in-all, solid meal. Approachable, but interesting enough to stand out.