Curry Corner in Tempe

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
LaPan

Hey folks.

Just checking through the boards to see if one of my valley faves was anywhere to be seen and it only turned up in a thread about the closed Copper Kettle. Even though this place is run by the same people I thought that the thread saying closed may not alert you kind eat-armies to a great little (and I mean little) spot. It's gotten quite an uptick in business since it was on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives about a month ago, but it's worth every minute of any wait.

Everything is homemade and delicious. I'd been craving a good Indian/Pakistani meal since moving here from Europe and now I've found it. Check it out if you haven't yet. And it should definitely be on the map!

Cheers
B

http://www.yelp.com/biz/curry-corner-tempe
IG @lapaniam
exit2lef

Agree. Curry Corner is a very nice place. The food is highly flavorful, and the staff are gracious. It's a nice alternative to generic Indian / Pakistani menus and buffets.
https://phxrailfood.com
Instagram: @phxrailfood
phxmacbear

I would have SWORN there was a thread about this place! It's a staple for me, and it's been interesting to watch the transition from the little place where you'd wander in and wonder if they were even open, then eventually see someone walking through the back of the kitchen up to a sliding window where you'd place your order...to the expanded, full service operation they're running now.

I'm partial to their Poori/Chana combo...or a vegetalbe thali (which is a great meal to order if you are pressed for time and find yourself there during a busy lunch rush...the thalis are quick to come out).
BarbaraToombs

Ooooh...looks good! Will have to check this out.

Here's a link to their menu.

Curry Corner
1212 E Apache Blvd
Tempe, AZ 85281
Phone: (480) 894-1276
http://www.currycornertempe.com
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Great lunch, guys!

Y'know, it's funny... I'd read this thread when LaPan posted it, but I'd forgotten the finer points. So we're sitting there eating, and I'm thinking to myself, "Gads, it's so nice to see a place like this packed to the gills... gives me hope!" And then I turned around and saw the picture of His Dudeness in the wall. The Poochie-Approved effect, I guess. Ah, well... glad it's for a worthwhile place. Every time I go out for this food I'm reminded that I really need to learn more about it. Without going into elegies about the dearly departed (*snif*), I thought this was a really nice lunch, across the board.
Place Setting
Place Setting
currycornerplate.jpg (61.18 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
Oh my god. Just like that, I'm in high school again. There's some food I'd really rather not remember. Shaking off the flashback...
Chicken Boti
Chicken Boti
currycornerchickenboti.jpg (54.53 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
We started off with a couple of grill items, both of which were mighty tasty. I totally dug the chicken boti -- a little spice, a little char, a little vinegar, a light chutney and pickled onion to accompany. Solid entry.
Chapli Kebab
Chapli Kebab
currycornerchaplikebab.jpg (60.5 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
Ditto the chapli kebab, though I wish there were a little more grill going on here. Is this typical, or do you think it was rushed a little since the place was starting to fill up? Anyway, great seasoning, nice and juicy.
Palak Paneer
Palak Paneer
currycornerpalakpaneer.jpg (61.48 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
Holy out of focus! Breaking in a new camera... haven't quite figured it all out yet :-/ Anyway, one of the weaker of the day, I thought, but still tasty. Sometimes palak paneer can take on a kind of musty, unpleasant character, in my limited experience, and this wasn't there but was thinking about heading into that territory. Good flavor, though.
Kabli Chana
Kabli Chana
currycornerkablichana.jpg (63.28 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
Oh, I loved this. Definitely one of my favorites. Beautifully layered, with both fresh and dried elements, really flavorful. I could eat a lot of this. And I did. About half, I think.
Chicken Tikka Masala
Chicken Tikka Masala
currycornerchickentikka.jpg (42.66 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
Tikka masala is not so much my thing, but this was pretty good as they go, I think. I really appreciate that it wasn't a yogurt/cream bomb, though I wish the flavor was a little more intense.
Fish Tikka Masala
Fish Tikka Masala
currycornerfishtikka.jpg (56.64 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
This I enjoyed more... coarser and lighter on the dairy, more of a lightly spiced tomato sauce.
Goat Karahi
Goat Karahi
currycornergoatkarahi.jpg (58.55 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
Solid Karahi! Though I think the goat could have broken down a bit more. Very nice flavor.
Chicken Achari
Chicken Achari
currycornerchickenachari.jpg (50.82 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
"The rage, the craze, the latest sensation!" So, yeah, we kind of need to order that. I'm not sure what, precisely, constitutes "pickle spice," but I did really like the flavor, more of a light gravy with some ginger peeking out.
Chicken Makhani
Chicken Makhani
currycornerchickenmakhani.jpg (47.87 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
So close! It's kind of similar to a korma, to my woefully undereducated palate, but more herbal, if that makes any sense? I loved the balance of flavor, but it was kind of... I don't want to use the word "watery," because that's really loaded and lends a far worse impression than I intend, but it did feel like it needed to thicken up and intensify a bit, to me. Anybody had this one from them before? Was the consistency typical?
Qeema Aloo
Qeema Aloo
currycornerqeemaaloo.jpg (54.94 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
That'll do. Very nice. A fairly mellow version -- many of these were -- but nicely balanced, great flavor. Another favorite on the afternoon for me.

I really like Curry Corner. There weren't any showstoppers for me, but almost completely across the board, these were really consistently enjoyable dishes, and a couple I really dug. I can see why it's easy to get into the habit of making it a regular lunch stop. Thanks for the tip and intro, guys :-)
Dominic Armato
BarbaraToombs

Great Food Nerd lunch here today, and a nice variety of dishes! Am sure Dom will post photos/details, but a standout for me, anyway, was one of the specials, Chicken Rajastani, tender pieces of chicken breast swimming in a coconut-based sauce. Wow. Great stuff. Unfortunately I don't know the owner's name, but she came out to check if everything was okay, and we all told her that needed to go on the regular menu!

Also really enjoyed the Nehari Noor Jehan, which Skillet Doux, azhotdish, and I were not very impressed with at Copper Kettle in Chandler the other day (the owners of which are apparently related to the Curry Corner--previously known as Copper Kettle Express--people). Different story here: really tender beef, flavorful broth...although I would have like the broth to be more of a "sauce," really, so it would be easier to mop up with the naan.
Mike Z

Holy crap, Dom, I was reading through your write-up and looking at the pics thinking I'm losing my mind, "I don't remember that . . . I know I didn't have that . . . we didn't get any fish . . . there was only one red dish and it was paneer . . . ", and that's when I realized the write-up was from a different lunch. Jeez.

Great lunch, and perfect for a large group. After checking out the menu, it's safe to say there probably isn't anything on their menu or off that I wouldn't enjoy. Especially loved the Nehari Noor Jehan (stewed beef shank in a spicy sauce) and the special Chicken Rajasthani. And those pickled onions were really nice.
Desert Gal

I'm glad I made it to the lunch meetup at Curry Corner yesterday. I got there late so I didn't get to learn the names of all the dishes but I loved everything, especially the beef stew and the chick peas. Great place!
Lunchbox

I'm with you Desert Gal, I don't know what I ate but it was all really good.

Here's my one tiny criticism... The portion sizes on some of the dishes were small... We ordered a chicken dish and we all got one tiny piece of chicken. I snapped a picture of my plate and if you look at the red chicken dish I got a single cube. And I don't think you guys took more than your fair share or anything but it just seemed weird to me... On the other hand the beef (goat?) dish was huge... I don't know if I'm being nitpicky here...
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (134.77 KiB) Viewed 2928 times
The only dish I know what it was called was the Chicken Rajasthani (pictured at about 6 oclock on the plate above) which was worth going back for. I really hope she puts it on the menu. Just be careful not to eat the red chili peppers you might find in the dish. And no, I won't be eating the actual chilies inside, despite any pressure put on by my peers... (I'm looking at you Dom and Mike.) I'm still getting over the trauma of the Ramen popup chili incident.
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

A thorough cataloging of the dishes we had!

Well, mostly. I didn't get a photo of the Kabli Chana (chickpeas), as that's already pictured above. And actually, I thought the Kabli Chana was better on that visit. That said, it was still a delicious, intensely flavored dish on this pass. Good stuff.
Samosas
Samosas
currycornersamosas.jpg (109.54 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
Solid samosas, with a seasoned potato filling and a zippy green chutney.
Junglee Pakora
Junglee Pakora
currycornerpakoras.jpg (115.8 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
I thought the pakoras were sharper -- crisp, flavorful chickpea batter surrounding piping hot shredded vegetables that maintained great texture. Really nice dish.
Paneer Tikka Masala
Paneer Tikka Masala
currycornerpaneertikkamasala.jpg (126.83 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
Yeah, the Paneer Tikka Masala was a little stingy on the paneer (cheese, BTW), but while I usually avoid tikka masala, I really enjoyed this sauce, which was heavy on the tomato with a great vinegary tang.
Nehari Noor Jehan
Nehari Noor Jehan
currycornerneharinoorjehan.jpg (121.92 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
Agreed, Barb, this is definitely better than the version we had at Copper Kettle last week. The flavors really popped here. That said, I do wish it weren't so thin and had a little more of that deep, thick, meaty texture.
Afghani Boti
Afghani Boti
currycornerafghaniboti.jpg (135.86 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
This won't be unseating Khyber Halal's Malai Boti (very similar) as my favorite in town anytime soon, but it's a solid rendition, very nicely seasoned and deftly grilled.
Goat Haleem
Goat Haleem
currycornergoathaleem.jpg (107.39 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
Liquid goat! (With lentils.) I'm still a little too close to some other dearly departed versions of this dish to give it a fair shake, but it was a good one.
Chicken Rajasthani
Chicken Rajasthani
currycornerchickenrajistani.jpg (148.05 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
No question, the big winner of the day. What I loved was how developed the coconut flavor was, really deep and toasty and nutty, like they reduced it down for quite a while. It reminded me a bit of the halfway point of making rendang, when the coconut milk is reduced and almost kind of caramelized. Dynamite dish. Really, really delicious. Hopefully it becomes a permanent special.
Lamb Biryani
Lamb Biryani
currycornerlambbiryani.jpg (148.9 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
The lamb biryani was the only dish that I thought was kind of lackluster. Underseasoned.

Yeah, this is a really good joint. As before, some dishes shine more than others, but a really enjoyable meal across the board with a couple of exceptional plates.

Incidentally, she also mentioned another common special that sounded interesting. She described it as a sort of mint-based green curry, though the name escapes me now. If that's on the specials board when anybody returns, be sure to report back!
Dominic Armato
Lunchbox

Skillet Doux wrote:
Yeah, the Paneer Tikka Masala was a little stingy on the paneer (cheese, BTW).
I thought the texture was a bit off to be chicken... :oops:

I totally forgot about the samosas and the pakora. And while I'm no expert in this cuisine I thought the pakora was excellent with the perfect texture inside and out.
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia