Detroit Coney Grill

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
MyLifeOnVacatio

I recalled this burger with grilled onions earlier this week when I was in the mood for a burger. Mine came out pretty much exactly like the one pictured earlier in the thread, but without blue cheese. Oh, and my onions weren't caramelized quite as much, but nonetheless, it was a very tasty burger. Juicy and flavorful. I got plain fries, but next time I'll go for the chili cheese fries, they looked great at a neighboring table.
BarbaraToombs

This has become a fairly regular "quick meal" close to work place for me. Have now tried the Philly Pita, which was great, and the Hani (not a big fan; tasty but messy...there's so many better options!). A co-worker of mine swears by the Chicken Philly Pita.

I took my fellow editors here yesterday for our monthly "editors' lunch," and I was pretty darn hungry...so much so that I ordered both a Coney dog AND a double burger (with grilled onions, American cheese, mushrooms and bacon). Don't judge. ;)

I also got just an order of their regular fries, which were good, but I was coveting my co-worker's more crispy-looking "curly fries," which were thinner. Didn't even know that was an option.

All agreed ... great place, great food, quick service. We'll be back. Frequently. :)
Lunchbox

I've been hitting this place up a lot too... I'm digging on adding the loose meat to whatever it's an option on... Coney dog, add loose meat. Yeah that's tasty.
BarbaraToombs wrote:I also got just an order of their regular fries, which were good, but I was coveting my co-worker's more crispy-looking "curly fries," which were thinner. Didn't even know that was an option.
As far as the regular vs. curly fries - Hands down the curly fries. They're not really that different from the regular fries, they're just thinner and therefore cook better than the thicker regular cut fries.
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
BarbaraToombs

Well, it's deadline day at work and went here again today to grab some quick lunch to go for me and a co-worker. Tried their "Chicken Philly" this time, and while it doesn't really bear much resemblance to a "real" Philly, it is DAMN good, oozing with cheese and lots of mushrooms/onions/freshly grilled chicken. I love their steak Philly, too, but the chicken is a great option. I definitely prefer pita as a bread...less "bready," more deliciousness inside!!! :)
Chicken Philly
Chicken Philly
Chicken philly.jpg (120.07 KiB) Viewed 5372 times
I love how fresh everything here is: the meat just ground, the fries just made, the chicken grilled to order. And everyone's always so friendly! (Well, you know that's how we Michiganders roll, anyway, right?!?! :lol: )
Lunchbox

Lunch today was really tasty...

I had a buffalo chicken pita. Really good sandwich...

My friend had a Detroit Coney Combo.

We both had curly fries. I love watching them throw a potato in the curly cutter and immediately throw it in the fryer. Good stuff.
-- LBX

mrln242

I give it the mistake stamp of approval. This place was good. We went on like a random tuesday, I didn't feel like cooking so we just stopped in. I live like a mile away and heard Mr. Garcia talk about this place so I was like okay lets do this shit. We liked it a lot. No frills and it reminds me of Nickys hotdogs back in the hood so you can't go wrong with that. I had the coney dog and chili cheese fries, a staple of all of my grease pits back home, and La Espoza had the burger and one of those hotdogs with meat on it as well. All of it was pretty tasty. Heavy as hell though I couldn't imagine going to DCD then having to go back to work, Id be useless. Also there was a couple from DTown who moved to Tempe, her husband started grad school in August, sound familiar, and they stated it was just like home and they just moved to town so I take it that its at least passable so thats my two cents.
BarbaraToombs

This just in: Dave says they're opening a second location near 35th Avenue & Bell in "a few momths."
bharbeke

My first time visiting here was today. Oh my goodness, that is how you make a dog! I had the regular Detroit coney and chili cheese fries. Both are spectacular. I'd say the coney tastes better, but the fries are more filling, so getting them both makes sense.
Brandon
Lunchbox

I was Masturdating the other day (look it up) and had a killer lunch. Two Detroit Coney Combos and some curly fries and I was STUFFED. It's been a while and it was better than I remember. Adding the loose burger meat on the coney (to make it a combo) is the way to go...
-- LBX

BarbaraToombs

Lunchbox wrote:I was Masturdating the other day (look it up)
I did look it up, and am dying laughing. Will definitely be stealing that!

Man, I miss DCG. Will just have to try and get there on a Saturday soon.
Lunchbox

BarbaraToombs wrote: Man, I miss DCG. Will just have to try and get there on a Saturday soon.
David slipped that they're supposed to be opening a Gilbert location soon. He wouldn't reveal the location because the lease wasn't locked up yet. He said it's going to be more of a dinner spot/vibe because that's the crowd out there...

Anybody been to the downtown location for lunch yet?
-- LBX

BarbaraToombs

Oooh...that IS good news! :)
Mike Z

Zach, I masturdated a couple months ago with a Quad . . . topped with cheese, grilled onions, lettuce, pickles, 1000 Island . . . and it was gloriously shameful and fantastic. Back in the day the nuns would have said I'd go blind if I keep having them ;)
Quad
Quad
DCG Quad.jpg (155.09 KiB) Viewed 4751 times
phxmacbear

There used to be a Coney Island Grill here in Central Phoenix...West of Central on Adams, nestled between the barber shop and the teriyaki take-out. It's been here for decades...greasy little place...worked downtown for 8 years and never set foot inside. Fast forward 10 years and I"m working down town again, decided I'd check it out. It was a greasy little place, nothing special. No reason to return.
Then, all of a sudden, one day I see it being torn up inside. Sign goes up: Coming Soon "Detroit Coney Grill". Hmm... Ok.
I see a lot of orange going on in their refurbishment. They re-open and.....wait for it...it looks just like the old dumpy place, but orange. So I skip it.

THEN I see this thread on PFN. I think, "Wha---? Is this some culinary dynamo hiding right under my nose all along?!" Also, loosemeat!!! I love loosemeat! So I make a mental note to try this place one of these days. Today was that day.

One of you who raves about this place in the East Valley needs to come visit the downtown location and tell me what you think. Either I'm just REALLY not into this kind of food (which is very possible) or the downtown location has completely diverged from the East Valley shop. I ordered the Detroit Coney Combo (Coney + Loosemeat), spiral fries and a Diet Coke (watching my figure, you know how that goes).

The hot dog was absolutely nothing special. Soggy bun, average dog, whatever. I will say I enjoyed the loose meat. If i ever go back (highly unlikely, but IF) I would get a loosemeat sandwich. Spiral fries were soooooo soft and greasy. Disgusting. And worst of all, the Diet Coke was flat. Three strikes. And I'm out!
BarbaraToombs

phxmacbear wrote:Spiral fries were soooooo soft and greasy. Disgusting. And worst of all, the Diet Coke was flat. Three strikes. And I'm out!
Out of curiosity, did you dine in or get take-away? Those fries definitely don't travel well AT ALL.

Sorry you had a bad experience. I really love the Tempe location...although I enjoy their burgers more than the Coneys, to be honest. I'm just not a huge fan of chili on hot dogs, to be honest. But they're okay.
phxmacbear

Dine in. I would consider going back and just getting loose meat or burger.
But this time I think I would speak up about the fries. I would order them extra well done/crispy.
I don't know...the place is so gross, and even if it had been done "right" it doesn't seem like "wow" territory for me, so we'll see if i give it a second chance.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

I think enjoyment of DCG is pretty much contingent upon whether or not chili dogs appeal to you in general. If the answer is no, nothing about this place is going to change your mind :-)

The fries thing is weird, though. Makes me wonder if they're having trouble getting things running smoothly at the new location.
Dominic Armato
phxmacbear

Well, I can't say I go nuts for chili dogs, but I think it's more than that. I mean, I don' t go nuts for Chicago Dogs and soggy beef sandwiches, but I can at least see the appeal of Portillo's (yes I know, it's a chain and there are better Chicago-style places...I'm just using Portillo's as a placeholder - insert your favorite Chicago-style place here).

I am going to just assume that there are some major differences between the downtown and East Valley locations. And based on my experience at the downtown location, I'm going to quote my favorite Auto-tuned Internet sensation: "Ain't nobody got time for that!"
azhotdish

I hit the downtown location a few weeks back and someone there is definitely not cooking the fries long enough.
red hot fries
red hot fries
detroit_coney_fries_web.jpg (101.15 KiB) Viewed 4311 times
The flavor was good, but they definitely needed more crisp. They were pretty soggy even right after they hit the table.

The coney was still pretty solid - perhaps I didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first one I had at their Tempe location, but I couldn't put my finger on why.
coney
coney
detroit_coney_web.jpg (100.94 KiB) Viewed 4311 times
Next time I'm getting a burger - they looked delicious.
---
Joel
@azhotdish
BarbaraToombs

The burgers ARE delicious! That's usually my pick...with griddled onions, mushrooms, cheese and bacon. Mmmmmmm