Detroit Coney Grill

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

BarbaraToombs and GoBlue18, try to contain yourselves...

Detroit Coney Dogs Coming to Tempe (New Times)
New Times wrote:Coney dogs, customizable burgers, and hand-cut fries smothered in chili and cheese are coming to Tempe -- by way of Detroit -- courtesy of David Najor.
Dominic Armato
PHXeater

Why didn't this happen when I was there, the boyfriend is from Detroit and loves Coney dogs!
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

It's one of the immutable laws of the universe, Liz. The cool stuff always shows up after you leave :-)
Dominic Armato
BarbaraToombs

Well, Sunshine's Motor City Cafe in the Tempe Autoplex area has been doing Lafayette Coney Dogs, Sanders Cream Puff Hot Fudge Sundaes, Better Made Potato Chips, Faygo POP, and more for quite some time now. Still, will have to check this place out...but the folks at Sunshine's are SO friendly...hate to be disloyal! :)
azhotdish

And R.I.P. Joan's Kitchen (McKellips / Scottsdale Rd), home of the Flint-style coney. What's with you Michigan people and your meat-covered wieners? :lol:
---
Joel
@azhotdish
BarbaraToombs

Nothin' like a meat-covered wiener!!! :wink:

What's with the Chicago people and their soggy beef sandwiches?
Last edited by BarbaraToombs 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
BarbaraToombs

P.S. What's a Flint-style coney??
GoBlue18

Flint style coney is dry meat I believe. And Sunshine's is great, but wouldn't mind having another option. Extremely excited they are serving burgers that are compared to Blimpy's in Ann Arbor. That was a staple, especially when I was living so close on campus at West Quad.
Erin

Hmmmm, maybe I should change my sn to GOGREEN!! :) Yes, flint style coney is dry meat while detroit style is more of a wet meat sauce. I had no idea there was coney ANYTHING in the valley. I am so excited to try these places!
GoBlue18

According to their Facebook page, August 9 might have been too ambitious for their opening. Sounds like it will be a bit later but no official date as of yet.
DetroitLover805

Detroit Coney Grill opens on Friday August 30, 2013. The owner, David, is a class act. He has a proven track record for great food & excellent service in a family atmosphere. We (the community) arent just customers, we are family. My family is so excited that he is bringing a piece of our hometown to Tempe.
GoBlue18

That's great to hear. I'll have to head over Friday to check it out and report back.
GoBlue18

This place is legit. It was busy at lunch, long lines out the door. Had the "blimpy-style" burger (a triple) and their chili cheese fries (with their coney sauce). Co workers (also from Michigan) had the coney dogs and a hani.
image.jpg
image.jpg (59.38 KiB) Viewed 8849 times
It was a tasty burger but not quite a blimpy style burger. The patties need to have a little less meat on each (blimpy's are a 1/10lb each) and needed to be smashed flat on the flattop. Coney cheese fries were dynamite though.
image.jpg
image.jpg (50.3 KiB) Viewed 8849 times
The coney's were great. As my co worker said, "these are right". Better than sunshine's in my opinion. No picture of the hani but comments were the same.

I still think both sunshine's and Detroit coney grill are a bit pricey considering the Leo's $7.99 combo back in Michigan (2 coneys, fries, drink). But I'd happily grab lunch here again when I need my fix.
Mike Z

Swung by on the spur to get takeout, I live less than a mile away. 11:30 on a Saturday, there were eight other customers, few sporting their Detroit gear
Detroit Coney Grill
Detroit Coney Grill
IMG_1516.JPG (61.56 KiB) Viewed 8677 times
Detroit Coney Combo
Detroit Coney Combo
IMG_1518.JPG (53.41 KiB) Viewed 8677 times
Ordered the Detroit Coney Combo, which is a dog, Detroit chili, loose meat, onion, mustard, and no fries. I ordered it no mustard, but the kid must have misunderstood, note the lack of mustard in this picture :(

Had that moment of debate . . . do I man up, or do I get a fork? I manned up and survived :)

It doesn’t quite travel well I think. From counter to home to mouth was 5, 6, 7 minutes at best (which in fairness can be a lifetime when it comes to a hotdog), and the inside of the bun took on a gluey consistency and taste? Everything else about it was tasty
Double Cheese
Double Cheese
IMG_1519.JPG (96.56 KiB) Viewed 8677 times
Also ordered a double cheeseburger for later. Had to grab a bite of it though, and it was fine. Tasted like real meat. They ask you up the counter to add toppings to it which was a nice touch

I grew up in Chicago and MN, not Michiganland, so take that for what it is. It wasn’t bad, and I wouldn’t drive across town for it, but I'm sure I'll spur in again
Pato

I was in the D last week and had some coneys. I also stopped by Detroit Coney Grill last week since it is about two blocks from work. They do a great job. Not quiet Lafayette Coney Island, but a really good hot dog and cool people. Stop by. Detroit Rock City! (this endorsement comes from a Ted's lover.) Broadway is now "hot dog alley", or as my wife would say "Calle de Hochos".
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Yeah, this is dangerous.
The Griddle
The Griddle
dcggrill.jpg (53.87 KiB) Viewed 8505 times
The fellas manning the griddle. They had some dogs going when we came in, but all of the burgers were griddled to order.
Faygo Strawberry
Faygo Strawberry
dcgfaygo.jpg (61.29 KiB) Viewed 8505 times
My first Faygo! Though if I'd seen it, I would have gotten the Rock & Rye rather than the Redpop (strawberry). What the hell is Rock & Rye, anyway? Rye soda? (Excuse me... pop.)
Combo
Combo
dcgcombo.jpg (59.03 KiB) Viewed 8505 times
The main event. Let it be known that I have precisely zero cultural context here. I've never been to Detroit. I've never had a coney. And I'm more than a little obsessed with Chicago-style dogs. And I really, really enjoyed this. The loose meat, interestingly enough, seemed to be barely seasoned at all, though I'm unsure if it just seemed that way because it was being blown out by the chili. Is that typical, Michiganders? Nice natural casing dog. Good bite and flavor. And I'm of the opinion that that little squirt of mustard is essential. Did I mention this is dangerous?
Chili Cheese Fries
Chili Cheese Fries
dcgchilicheesefries.jpg (70.8 KiB) Viewed 8505 times
I agree, the chili cheese fries are good, though I think it's mostly by virtue of the chili. It's that greasy, spicy kind that's perfect for dogs and fries. I do wish the fries had a little crispness, but I'll take fresh cut, tasting of potatoes and limp over crispy and tasting of cardboard any day.
Red Hot Fries
Red Hot Fries
dcgredhotfries.jpg (53.2 KiB) Viewed 8505 times
I'm pretty sure the red hot fries were just the fries dunked in Frank's Red Hot sauce. And they were good. But I later noticed that they have crumbled bleu cheese for burgers and salads... and I'm thinking that's what these need.
Double Cheeseburger
Double Cheeseburger
dcgburger.jpg (71.69 KiB) Viewed 8505 times
We all finished lunch, and nobody had tasted a cheeseburger. So we... um... got one. And split it up. And somewhere, there was a miscommunication and we got bleu cheese on there as well, but that's easily remedied. As mentioned, they griddle to order, smashing a racquetball-sized lump of ground beef (fresh every morning, they say, and it tastes of it) on the griddle as it cooks. When you get griddled onions -- good call, Barbara -- they cook them right into the patties. It's nothing fancy, but it's juicy and fresh, and mighty tasty.

What's really clear just from watching them work is that they're trying to watch every single detail, trying to get everything just right. Like I say, I have zero sense of how this compares to what's back in Detroit, but I thought it was delicious. I agree, guys... this one's a keeper. Great little place.
Dominic Armato
Dapuma

The coney at NCI (National Coney Island - chain fairly prevelant around Detroit - you can get coney dog / hani / pitcher of cheap beer for $10ish) I don't remember having unseasoned ground beef on it, just chili cheese and mustard onions

I was always preferably to the Hani with honey mustard on the side - I believe they gave out little packs of Ken's honey mustard or that is what they used in the restaurant

Dom, you should really be listening to some Ringmaster or Great Milenko (ICP) while drinking your Faygo for the full effect :mrgreen:

Having lived under 1 hr from Chicago growing up and in MI for 10+ years in MI - I generally prefer a Maxwell Street Chicago style Polish Dog over anything else, although that isnt exactly a coney dog or traditional chicago dog
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Dapuma wrote:The coney at NCI (National Coney Island - chain fairly prevelant around Detroit - you can get coney dog / hani / pitcher of cheap beer for $10ish) I don't remember having unseasoned ground beef on it, just chili cheese and mustard onions
Yeah, their regular coney dog, as others got above, is just the chili, mustard, and onions. The one I got is the "combo," which adds the ground meat from the loose meat sandwich.
Dominic Armato
BarbaraToombs

Dapuma wrote:I generally prefer a Maxwell Street Chicago style Polish Dog over anything else, although that isnt exactly a coney dog or traditional chicago dog
Even though I'm a proud Detroiter, I'd have to agree with you here, Dapuma. I mean, the Lafayette Coney Dogs are really good, but it's just my taste preference (not a big chili fan). BUT I want to try more of those burgers, and now have to try the Hani (something I don't recall coming across in Michigan).

Dom...not sure if they actually had Faygo Rock & Rye at DCG, but they probably did. I am sure I had it at some point in my youth, but can't remember the taste...it's said to be a sort of cross between cherry pop [soda] and cream soda.

As to my take on this place...love it. Love the attitude of the owners, the set-up, the food, the nostalgia, the proximity to my office. I will definitely be going back here!

I had the combo, Better Made potato chips, and Red Pop. The fries, to me, were a little too on the soggy side, but I did like the potato flavor...think I'd rather try them just plain, frankly.

Oh! Must mention my new "invention" while there, as some chili/onions/etc fell onto my Better Made chips: Detroit Nachos! Bam.

Now to try Dom's new Instagram photo-posting instructions:

Woohoo...it works! (No filter on that, BTW...I'm kinda done with Instagram filters, except in rare instances.) Anyhow, that there is a good ol' dose of Motor City nostalgia, at least for me! :)
GoBlue18

It was a great time, thanks for letting me join the gang. I had the hani and a regular coney. The hani, which is essentially a chicken finger pita, was pretty darn tasty, but...I love me a coney. I think these coneys are a little better than Sunshine's (which isn't to say the coneys at Sunshine's aren't good).

And I actually asked about rock & rye, but they were out that day.