Little Miss BBQ

Good eating in the Valley of the Sun
davej

Mike Z wrote:Three horrible words: Out of brisket :(
It's even worse when the guy in front of you buys up everything. You have this strange feeling of wanting to strangle him. :)

Has anyone ever had the pork belly there? Saftel mentioned it in his article but I have never seen it.
AZScott

The belly is something I was playing with but it never felt like it should be on the rotation. It needed something and I never had the time then to play with it back then. I may revisit it down the road. I have a new meat coming out next week which will be on the regular rotation. It's glorious IMO. Here's a little photo (center):

davej

Looks awesome! Can't wait!
Lunchbox

First of all how dare you not let me know about that belly, AZScott! ;)

Second, is that a tri-tip in the photo? Don't be elusive! We demand to know! :lol:
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
davej

Can't be tri-tip. I see multiple bones sticking out rib like. The size seems to point to beef bones. Texas style beef ribs instead of short ribs? Just guessing....
NightBloom

I just had to wipe a little bit of drool from my face! See you next Tuesday. :p
CRISTEN :)
IG: oldtownfoodfanatic
Bax

He already does beef ribs (just not every day) so that wouldn't be a "new meat."

What is it? What is it?? Heh.

Went today with friends who hadn't been before. They agreed it was worth the drive from their home in Avondale. I got there just after 10:30 and got one of the very last available regular parking places; not too long ago I could get there at 10:30 and still have plenty of places from which to choose. Whew things are getting crazy!

Everything was delicious as usual (and I still have a meal's worth of leftovers, plus pecan pie, in the fridge. Hooray!). That fatty brisket really is the stuff of dreams....
AZScott

The new item is smoked lamb necks. They are beyond glorious and it reminded me of the first time I had fatty brisket done perfectly right. I'm excited about them but they are completely non-traditional so I'll only be doing 5 a day or so until I can gauge how well they will do.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Oh, wow... for a second, I thought those looked like vertebrae, and then thought, "Naaaaaaah."

Every day?
Dominic Armato
Pete

The "getting there late to save time" strategy probably won't work too well if you want to get your hands on any lamb necks. We got there 40 minutes before they opened today and they were still out before we got to the counter. That said, everything else was outstanding.
AZScott

Thanks for coming in Pete. We are still running about 5-8 a day on those. Some days they go all day and others they go quick. I think Sterling Meats has a small supply issue. I'm sitting on 3 cases and when those are done my supply will be gone for a bit. Once Sterling gets their supplier on line with a new demand for lamb necks my supply will be steady. I guess that's one of the issues of using a cut of meat that no one uses.

I'm still playing with them a bit. Today they felt a bit fatty to me so I trimmed them more today and I'm still tweaking the rub a little. Hopefully in a week or two they are killer every day and available at least until 1:30 or 2.
davej

Went this past Saturday. The lamb neck was pretty dang good. Although fatty brisket is still the favorite hands down! I just need to make it over on a Thursday and get some pastrami.
BillBuitenhuys

We got there early today (3rd in line!),well, it was only 10:10 so we had a bit of a wait albeit nestled in the comfy chairs near the door. Was thinking brisket but when I saw the lamb neck sign, the brisket turned into a pound for home and lunch was neck!

This luscious ball of lambiness weighed in at just over a pound and was packed with tender smoky yummy meat. Ya, it's good...go get one (maybe with a single of grits, like I did today) and hunker down.
davegorton54

Made a trip in to Little Miss for lunch this past week. As usual, I went with 1/3 lb. of brisket and a sausage. The brisket continues to be excellent. The sausage gets better each time that I go in. It seems like the spice level has increased a little bit as has the snap of the casing (though I have no scientific evidence). I tacked on a small side of grits this time and was reminded that I should do this more often. Great product, great atmosphere. I can't begin to say how happy I am that this place exists in Phoenix.
J Live

I can't officially be a food nerd until I've weighed in on LMB. I have absolutely nothing to add that hasn't been said. There is NO other place in town where I would sit in my car in the median of the road for 45 minutes waiting to turn into the lot than Little Miss. Rookie move I know but we were in no hurry and today is a beautiful day to stand in line....twice (once in car, once at restaurant...didn't mind either).

Took two co-workers who have been and two clients who had not. The reaction to seeing them taste the fatty brisket was priceless. I heard all the standard lines,
"I didn't used to be a brisket person"
"Is this what meat butter would taste like?"
"This is the greatest thing I've ever tasted"

I learned that I've really been missing out on the sausage....holy cow that is full of flavor. I love the sauces (I mean I really really love them) but never need them on LMB. When I get takeout I like to use the mustard and spicy sauce on other things at home that require more help from sauce (like my cooking). And with the sides, I dig them, but with only so much real estate in my belly I have to make choices and I like meat. The grits are my favorite side but I only had a little today as I finished a rib on a co-workers plate. Priorities.

Scott was great to chat with and hard at work as always. Definitely the type of person you are happy to be having such success. It's important for a restaurant to be strong in the food category (especially on that stretch of University) but caring about your business and your customers goes a long way. LMB does both exceptionally well.
M_L

For those of you who have been waiting to see what the result was of Daniel Vaughn's visit to LMB wait no longer.
http://www.tmbbq.com/little-miss-bbq/

For those of you who suffer from TL;DR the closing line pretty much sums it up.
"Like all great barbecue, this stuff is worth standing in line for. You better get there quick before the weather really heats up, because it’s worth the trip. I’m not sure if this is the best Texas style barbecue outside of Texas, but it’s certainly in the conversation."

Congrats, that is a pretty fine review. I wish he still had his rating index like he did on his personal site Full Custom Gospel BBQ as I would love to know where it would have been placed in comparison to other places he has reviewed.
BarbaraToombs

Nice!!! Thanks for posting this...I was wondering! :)
M_L

And as someone who still has not made it over for a lamb neck, I want to try it more than ever after reading the article. I need to just carve out a day get there at an absurdly early hour and make certain I get one.
Nam

I got here at around 10:10 today and was 22nd in line. Get our food and around 11:25 commenced feasting.
Lamb Neck, Sausage, Short Rib, Jalapeno Grits.  Did I really eat ~3 lbs of meat in one meal?  Yes, yes I did.
Lamb Neck, Sausage, Short Rib, Jalapeno Grits. Did I really eat ~3 lbs of meat in one meal? Yes, yes I did.
lamb neck, sausage, short rib.jpg (107.21 KiB) Viewed 8638 times
That short rib might be the best piece of meat I've had in my life. Really flavorful rub, no sauce required! The lamb neck was very tasty but tons of work. Some really dense muscular parts too it that were really nice and lots of texture variation. Tiny bits of bone marrow inside too, you can't hide from me! The sausage casing was great, and flavor was good but straightforward; probably just suffered in comparison to that perfect short rib and excellent lamb neck. I got home around 1pm and promptly slept until about 430; food coma for once actually happened and not just a phrase.

Haha, 10 hours after meal and my wife just said her burps still taste like BBQ.
Sausage, Lean brisket, Cole Slaw, Jalapeno grits.  Why in God's name wouldn't you get the fatty brisket?!?
Sausage, Lean brisket, Cole Slaw, Jalapeno grits. Why in God's name wouldn't you get the fatty brisket?!?
sausage brisket.jpg (106.76 KiB) Viewed 8638 times
The samples of brisket were of the fatty variety, yet my wife opted for the lean. You foolish, foolish woman. Although still very tasty the fatty I preferred. Lucky enough to get some burnt ends too as samples, terrific. Cole slaw was really good, not too saucy lil peppery bite. Jalapeno cheesy grits were fine, however truth be told my only prior experience were with Lolo's, which I despised. So I might just need to be exposed to more before proclaiming these as good or not.

Worthy of all the acclaim. Waited over an hour and I might wait double that to have it all again. Was full about half way through but lacked the will power to stop. No regrets!
azhotdish

What's to add that hasn't already been said? It's simply outstanding BBQ.
brisket plate
brisket plate
lmbbq_plate.jpg (122.35 KiB) Viewed 8526 times
Not pictured - the short rib. Wow, talk about decadent.
---
Joel
@azhotdish