The Rum Bar

Discussion of drinks, alcoholic and otherwise
BillBuitenhuys

So one of Dad's favorite drinks was Myers rum and Coke. Aside from that my only exposure to rum was in tiki drinks or an occasional party punch. I don't consider myself a rum drinker.

That all changed with a couple of visits to The Rum Bar at The Breadfruit

Our first visit was about a month ago. We went for dinner which was quite good but seeing this is the Drinky section I won't dwell on that here. What really surprised us was the creativity of the cocktail list highlighting sugar cane based liquors like rhum agricole, cachaca, white, and gold rums. Rummy Manhattan with Pritchards Fine...Yes, please. But the eye-opener for me was a complimentary pour from owner Dwayne Allen of Dos Maderas PX rum. This was the first time I really enjoyed a glass of rum neat. wow.

We went back this past weekend to Rum School where teacher Dwayne gave us a history of rum, detailed the processes and differences in region to region variations (and started us off with a wonderfully balanced, summery Kingston Rum Punch). Then he gave us a guided tour through 9 samples of rum ranging from white (white rum, agricole, cachaca), to gold (medium aged rum and agricole), to aged....with a few delightful apps and desserts along the way.

I know now that I have a rather large void in my home bar that has to be filled with a Wray and Nephew Overproof rum for cocktails and Dos Maderas and El Dorado 15yr (Guana) for sipping.

Any other rum devotees here? Any rum curious?
AZLobo

BillBuitenhuys wrote:Any other rum devotees here? Any rum curious?
Rum is far from my favorite spirit (In the name of the Bourbon, and of the Gin, and of the Holy Mezcal), but bottle-for-bottle it's the most represented liquor in my cabinet.…a nod to the trips to the Caribbean that I've taken. My favorite by far is Havana Club - 7 year HC is the standard by which I judge. Appleton makes me smile, too.
BillBuitenhuys

AZLobo wrote: My favorite by far is Havana Club - 7 year HC is the standard by which I judge. Appleton makes me smile, too.
Thanks! Will have to look for the HC as well.
andrewknoc

I was able to attend a rum tasting at RumBar on Saturday, and I thought I'd share my experience. It was $42 dollars, and limited to the number of people seats at the bar (so, 10, I guess?) We tasted 9 rums, had three different hors d'oeuvres plates, and were invited to drink as much rum punch as we wanted throughout. The whole experience lasted just over two hours.

We started with a trio of white rums - the first was technically a cachaca. We went through 9 different rums, with a couple of rhum agricoles, finishing with a full tasting pour of a great 15-year rum. The tastes were pretty small, served in ~4 oz sherry snifters. I don't know how much they poured in there (half an ounce or less), but it was just barely enough to get a good impression of each rum.

Dwayne passed small dishes of a vanilla extract and of molasses for us to dip paper strips into. We smelled the strips while nosing the rums to see whether the rums had vanilla notes or molasses notes.

The whole thing was very educational - Dwayne talked about rum, the history of rum, the origin and unique characteristics of each rum, the taste/nose of each rum, and touched on how each rum might appeal to cognac or bourbon drinkers, for instance. He told us which of the white rums he used in which cocktail, how he paired some of the aged rums, which rum his grandfather drank (and with what!), and so on.

The food samples were delicious - the starter, a cod ceviche was very salt with avacado and mango on a housemade cracker, a small heap of jerk pulled pork was served with a ramekin of polenta, and finally there was a dessert trio served with the last three rums. "Grape nut" ice cream, pineapple creme brulee, and a molasses tart.

It was a fun couple of hours, but I think it was a one-time thing. Dwayne is apparently going to keep doing it, so y'all should check it out if you're interested.
BillBuitenhuys

Andrew, looks like we were sitting at the same bar.

From what I understand, each Rum School is a different set of rum so if you go more than once you get a different set of rums to try. I heard of one being all from the Appleton portfolio (including the fairly rare 30yr). That said, while I'm really glad we went, I don't think I'd do it again. I would go back to the bar and drink some of the flights and cocktails though. We did a Flor de Cana and Appleton flight last time in and those were educational in of themselves.
andrewknoc

I have enjoyed the flights I've done there, also.

I'd have to ask Dwayne if he's planning on doing different rum tastings in the future - one of my friends mentioned that it would be cool if he'd do a "Rum 201" session, or at least something with different material.

I also really enjoy basically every cocktail he's served me there - he changes the list on a regular basis, and it seems like there's really something for everyone, even for people who don't think they like rum.
olllllo

I love rum a great deal. I make Mojitos using repurposed copper Moskow Mule mugs when the weather suits. I have not the depth of knowledge about it beyond that and that's why the Rum Bar is such a treasure to me.

As a beer guy, I felt compelled to write about the Rum Bar's non Red Stripe beer choice.

http://downtownphoenixjournal.com/2012/ ... ut-dublin/.
¡Salud!

Rob
I do beer things and wine things.
Director Arizona Craft Brewers Guild
Board Member Arizona Wine Growers Association

@olllllo
exit2lef

I haven't attended the rum school, but ever since the Breadfruit obtained a liquor license and opened the Rum Bar next door, I've really appreciated what's happening there. I'm normally a beer-and-wine guy, but when the cocktails have the best quality spirits combined with fresh herbs and inventive touches, I'll switch for a night. My current favorite drink at Rum Bar features beets of all things. What's really amazing is that the Breadfruit opened in 2008 as a BYOB. You could bring your own beer or wine, but cocktails were not a possibility. Back then, the restaurant was enjoyed mostly by Downtown residents and enthusiasts. Now, it seems to be attracting attention from fans all over the metropolitan area. I find that an inspiring "Little Engine that Could" story, especially when some nearby places like PastaBar, Verde, and the Urban Market have failed.
https://phxrailfood.com
Instagram: @phxrailfood
golbsalt

You might like Zaya. I was exposed to that back in 2005 by a gal that worked at Sportsman's (now defunct specialty liquor store). It's an aged Guatamalan rum. Enjoy neat - big vanilla nose!
blog.golbsalt.com - "happiness IS just a lick away!"
@_go_lb_salt_ or @fhmarket
Christina

That is so interesting about the Rum Bar when it first opened. I'm a big fan too (actually just profiled The Breadfruit in the latest issue of the magazine). I learn so much every time I go. On the last visit, I sat at the bar with Rhonni and had Dwayne pair a cocktail with each dish. He of course spent time discussing how he came up with the cocktail, the origins of the rum, and how he "builds the cocktail around the rum", not the other way around.

I've only been to the special Appleton portfolio class, which was wonderful, but hope to get to more (they focus on different rums each time).

From Appleton class:

Greeted with a "bottomless" Kingston rum punch (Wray and Nephew Overproof, Myer's Dark, pineapple, orange, lime, passion fruit, grenadine, and bitters).

One of the food pairings, braised oxtail (AZ Double Check Ranch) sliders with Jamaican pimento, Pickapeppa and arugula.

Our tasting of Appleton Estate Jamaican rums: White, Gold, Estate V/X, Estate Reserve, Estate Extra 12 Year, Estate 21 Year, and Estate Limited Edition 30 Year.

Dapuma

I was pretty disappointed with the drinks and the rum flights there on my only visit

I was very excited to go, since TV closed down this bar probably is the only one with more rum than I have at home, and I wanted to see what they had to offer

Most of the drinks had very little rum in them, they tasted fine (I thought the rum punch was poor and the mai tai was unexcusable) however the strawberry bascillica was good, and the caprihinia was well made - the balance is pretty easy when you only have a dash of rum in the drink

The flight samples were very small as well, and the food was okay, but not mind blowing

I really wanted to love the place, but couldn't

I do like the fact they have some great sipping rums, but based on the prices and how they do their pours, I am pretty sure I can buy the bottle for the price of two of their "pours" - at least that was true for the 15 year Barbancourt
mwest

We finally hit up the Rum Bar last weekend and we enjoyed it quite a bit. We had the Hand Cart (cherry and lime) and the Shim Sham (lime, pineapple and nutmeg), both were fairly potent, well-balanced, and tasty. We had the scallops and the mussels and both were well done and delicious (I don't eat very spicy food and the scallops were just fine for me, not that hot). Portions on the small side for the price, I'd say. We went to another event afterwards and decided to head back to the bar at the end of the night. Hard to tell, but we felt like the drinks were a bit weak on the second visit that night with the same bartenders as earlier. The bar was busier, perhaps they were rushed in their measurements, I don't know for sure.

I liked the feel and the decor of the place and things were tasty, but not cheap. I don't get downtown very often, but we will definitely stop in again to try some more of their drinks and food when we do.
Christina

I'm a big fan of the Breadfruit and they have a new (from the April menu change) cocktail that I'm in LOVE with. It's called the Mutiny in the County (the name is a take on Mutiny on the Bounty with Captain Bligh and his breadfruit expedition). What puts it over the top is his use of an Irish moss seaweed tincture. Irish moss or carrageenan drinks are really popular in Jamaica. Some of the other ingredients include a housemade coconut liqueur and El Dorado 5-year. The tincture adds this curious, briny, can't-place-it umami depth, and I'm addicted. I went back last week just to have another. Instagram picture:

I launched my first blog in April and when I asked if I could do a photo shoot on rum pairings, Dwayne and Danielle generously said yes, and this was one of the cocktails Dwayne chose. I also was introduced to the Shim Sham that mwest mentioned. Bright and refreshing, I liked that one too. More pictures of the Mutiny in the County here (and Dwayne's inspiration for it), along with other cocktails, and what makes the jerk chicken so full of flavor:

http://www.writeonrubee.com/drink/rum-p ... breadfruit