Garbage Pick up?

There's more to life than food. Sometimes.
uhockey

I'm perplexed - I put a bunch of empty cardboard boxes out on the curb (all stuffed into one large wardrobe box) today and the trash collectors left it sitting there but emptied the cans. Is ther some sort of rule about this? Does everything have to be in the bin? If so, what does one do with a giant wardrobe box (or ten?)
Lunchbox

It depends where you live... For example in Gilbert we have bulk trash every third week of the month... So you put whatever you want out at the curb and they pick it up at some point during the week... Check with your local city...
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
grrlscout

Quarterly, here in Phoenix.

Second week of the month, IIRC, in Glendale.
~ Korina
gardener | forager | permie | maker of things
exit2lef

uhockey wrote:I'm perplexed - I put a bunch of empty cardboard boxes out on the curb (all stuffed into one large wardrobe box) today and the trash collectors left it sitting there but emptied the cans. Is ther some sort of rule about this? Does everything have to be in the bin? If so, what does one do with a giant wardrobe box (or ten?)
Nothing outside the green & blue bins will be picked up on regular collection days. That's because the bins are emptied quickly and efficiently by trucks that use long arms to grab and hoist them. Anything else would require the driver to get out of the truck and slow down the process. Bulk trash days, as mentioned above, are helpful when what you have is really trash that won't fit in the bins. In your case, however, you're dealing with recyclable material. In the past, I've been able to request a special pick up of cardboard boxes, although I don't see that option on the City's web site today. If you live within Phoenix city limits, call (602) 262-7251 to see if the special pick up service is still offered. If you live in one of the suburbs, call the appropriate department for that community.
https://phxrailfood.com
Instagram: @phxrailfood
uhockey

Good stuff - thanks a ton to all. Crazy rules, but makes sense actually!
PHXeater

If you post a "free boxes" ad on Craigslist and just said they were going to be out on the curb then I bet they'd be gone pretty quick too.
M_L

Also you can break them down and put them in the bin, that works too.
andrewknoc

Just as a side note, the City of Phoenix's website has some great info for residents, though it's not very easily navigated. IIRC, you can take trash to a transfer station for free once a month, and you might be able to drop off recyclables also (don't quote me on that one). It might be more helpful than we are (certainly more than I am tonight).