Just saw this forum, thought i'd say hi

It's a community board, after all!
J Live

I'm Jeremy....have lived in Phoenix about 9 years now. Live right about 44th St. and Indian School. Grew up in Washington State, college in Tucson then went to Washington DC to live for a year and stayed for eight. Spending so much time in New York, Philly, DC started my appreciation for adventurous dining and an appreciation for off-the-beaten-path places.

My feeling for a restaurant is 50% food and 50% everything else going on around me. If I'm having a great time and the food is less than stellar I'll still come back and the opposite is also true. When those two perfectly meet, then you've found my favorite spots. Tarbells is probably my number one spot in town but that's mostly because my wife and I are bar people and it's pretty awesome for that. Oh, and that I've never had a bad meal there so that helps (except I don't like the type of mussels they serve there but that's on me...best carpaccio in town). Over the last couple of years reading this board, we have eaten at a number of places simply from the posts here. That said I also really enjoy Fox restaurants and go to the Henry at least once a weekend...it's unlike any other place in Phoenix so I'm glad it's nearby. Fox had to be thinking Balthazar when he came up with it.

Big bar fan and my tastes there run the gamut.....I do Crudo and Dilly Dally back-to-back on the regular (never Dilly first though, that's just weird). My favorite drink depends on what bar I'm at, but not based on what they make best. I'm fairly social and get along well with bartenders so if a bartender remembers my drink from last time well that's what I'm drinking at that bar, forever. Funny story....I was in town interviewing for a job and happened across Duke's (where? MILLER AND MCDOWELL....SCOTTSDALE!) sports bar. Bar was packed and the bartender asked what I wanted and I farted out Jack and diet even though I've never ordered that in my life. Fast forward 30 days, got the job, end up moving fairly close to Duke's and I show up and the bartender says, "Jack and diet right?" I drank jack and diet many times a week there for two years. Never had it anywhere else.

Keep up the great work Food Nerds....I probably don't have much to offer in identifying every flavor or spice but I'll do my best.
exit2lef

Hi. I'm not all that active here, but I'm glad to see some love for Tarbell's. Like you, I've never had a bad meal there. Because Tarbell's now been around for over two decades, the restaurant sometimes gets overlooked in food-centric discussion.
https://phxrailfood.com
Instagram: @phxrailfood
azhotdish

And here I thought we were the only ones who did the Crudo / Dilly Dally routine - nice! My wife and I both have a soft-spot for DD.

Welcome, neighbor!
---
Joel
@azhotdish
J Live

exit2lef wrote: I'm glad to see some love for Tarbell's.
I would venture I've eaten there 30 times...Mark Tarbell has been there at least 25 of those visits. I don't know him but I've chatted with him there a couple of times, just simple pleasantries. One day I was headed into Tarbell's to pick up carpaccio for date night and he was checking out the work going on at the Tavern next door. Asked me if I'd like to come in and take a peek. You want to guarantee your chefs are putting out top quality stuff night in and night out? I have no restaurant experience but I assume the owner/chef spending so much time at the place helps keep the standards high.

Walking into Tarbell's at 7:30 on a Friday night when our two favorite seats at the bar are open (well, not open but previous occupant leaving) is one of my favorite things in life.

By the way, does anyone else feel validated when the food nerds hit up a place you love and think no one knows about? That's how I felt about San Diego Bay when the crew here did a meet-up there a few months back. The shrimp molcajete and shrimp/bacon skewer are out of this world.
ZigiZagi

Hi! Nice to meet you, Jeremy! I'm also the new member of this forum.