Like Button?

How the board is run, and how to make it better
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Hey, everybody!

I have an upgrade I'm thinking about implementing, but I wanted to get your thoughts before I do so. I've found a relatively simple mod that would add functionality similar to the Facebook like button. You can like a post (support, thumbs up, whatever we call it), the post will show a running tally, and you can see which members liked it.

I'm thinking about this not from a standpoint of adding a goofy trophy system -- something that I think runs contrary to the philosophy of the site -- but rather as a simple means of getting feedback. I know that one thing that can be frustrating about posting on a board like this is that you can take the time to compose a nice post, only to wonder if anybody has bothered to read it, or if you're helping. I think it would be nice to reinforce the notion that, hey, people are reading what you write, and what you're contributing is valuable, even if there isn't an immediate response.

What do you think?
Dominic Armato
LaPan

+1 ;-)
IG @lapaniam
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

One downside, playing my own devil's advocate here, is that we want to foster discussion, and to a certain extent, I'm sure some people will simply press +1 rather than actually responding and discussing. That's bad. But the question is how much we think that will happen, and whether those lost posts are outweighed by the encouragement people will get from the positive feedback.
Dominic Armato
Dapuma

Can you code something like every X amount of likes you have to post a comment of Y length so people don't just go like happy
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Dapuma wrote:Can you code something like every X amount of likes you have to post a comment of Y length so people don't just go like happy
I'm sure it's possible, but that's waaaaaaaay beyond my technical ability, so probably wouldn't be an option for now.
Dominic Armato
BarbaraToombs

I like the idea! I hear what you're saying about not commenting and just "liking" something, but my way of thinking is that a "like" button might encourage some "lurkers" to at least start "liking" stuff, and then maybe they'll take that next leap... :lol:

It's a lot easier to agree with/like someone's post than to have to quote the thing and then say, "Yes! Well said" or whatever! I will usually both like something and THEN comment, depending on if I have something to add to the conversation. (And those of you who know me know that I usually do... :oops: )