What are your plans? Is the menu set? Are you bringing a dish or cooking the whole shebang?
I'm really curious to hear what does and doesn't work for everybody.
I'm cooking for six this year, and somehow "taking it easy" still ends up being turkey and gravy plus four sides plus dessert.
- Sous Vide Turkey Breast
- Sous Vide Herbed Turkey Roulade (Chef Steps)
- Turkey Gravy (Riff on Serious Eats)
- Potato and Cauliflower Mash (Improv)
- Squash and Caramelized Onion Tart (Bon Appétit)
- Creamed Onion Gratin (Saveur)
- Winter Greens Salad with Walnuts, Apples, and Parmesan-Anchovy Dressing (Serious Eats)
- Strawberry Shortcake (Riff on Saveur)
The Chef Steps turkey, BTW, is so flipping wonderful. I pledged years ago to never roast a turkey again. Sous vide all the way. The breast is stupid easy. The leg roulade is a pain in the ass to prep (debone, remove tendons, season, sprinkle with meat glue, wrestle that f**ker into a tube shape, remove air pockets, etc.) but once it's in the sous vide bag, it's a peach, so the only thing to do on T-Day is pull it out of the water and brown it somehow. And it's flipping incredible when it's done — looks impressive and crazy delicious. It's so tender you can slice it into 3/4" slabs and eat it with a fork. And it's already bun-shaped for turkey sandwiches later.
What's your plan?