Pain au chocolat in Central Scottsdale

The Valley of the Sun, and all that is tasty therein
Wilbur

Pain au chocolat in Central Scottsdale

Post by Wilbur »

This past year a new French bakery / creperie / gelato / coffee spot opened up near the corner of Scottsdale and Shea called Paris Rendez-Vous. It surprised me that a place serving this sort of menu would appear in such close geographic proximity to JL Patisserie, literally a strong 3-iron's shot distance to the northeast near the Harkins Theater Shea 14.

I only discovered it by accident on a trip to Ace Hardware, and it is located in one of the outbuildings that front the western side of Scottsdale Road south of Shea, right beside a Subway franchise, outside the Total Wine & More at 10320 N Scottsdale Rd, Scottsdale, AZ 85253.
Paris out.jpg
Paris out.jpg (496.83 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
Inside is a small but cheerful set of bakery and gelato cases, and as you enter you are greeted with the aroma of good quality coffee and hints of butter.
Paris in.jpg
Paris in.jpg (361.97 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
So a week or so ago, my wife and I decided to do a comparo between the two for breakfast on Saturday. We chose the Pain au Chocolat as our test case, ordering one from each location, bisecting each, and then both of us eating a half.
IMG_4037.jpg
IMG_4037.jpg (431.77 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
We sat outside JL Patisserie, which has some nice winter morning outdoor seating in the morning, and cleansed our palates with the JL Patisserie coffee as we made our assessment.
IMG_4038.jpg
IMG_4038.jpg (463.52 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
Our evaluation of the JL Patisserie pain is that it is better layered, which slightly more crispy pockets of butter built up within the croissant, such as you would expect from Essence. The Paris Rendez-Vous pain is softer and more homogenous, more in line with an expensive grocery store bakery.
IMG_4039.jpg
IMG_4039.jpg (304.33 KiB) Viewed 2517 times
Furthermore, the chocolat in the JL Patisserie is of higher quality, and the serving contained two batons of the chocolat, whereas the Paris Rendez-Vous chocolat comprised only a single baton of average stuff. So for both of us, the JL Patisserie is the better choice for Pain au Chocolat.

However, the other items we took home from Paris Rendez-Vous were quite toothsome, and I like gelato more than the average bear, so we will have to make some additional comparative inquiries.

The online menu is very limited and appears to be associated with a Phoenix location, but the choices available in the store itself are surprisingly diverse, if limited in quantity. For instance, this past week I picked up a Ganache Excellence, which is aptly named, and I purchased the single unit available. I have also picked up an Espresso on more than one occasion, and it is quite good coffee served in a tiny to-go cup in a time shorter than anywhere else in the neighborhood, as I have never been in the location with any other customer. Hopefully they find success in this location, as they proprietor is a lovely, charming lady.

Perhaps the next steps would be to do a comparo with the crepes and those of Cafe Paris...
exit2lef

Re: Pain au chocolat in Central Scottsdale

Post by exit2lef »

I visited Paris Rendez-Vous once or twice in its original location at Desert Ridge. I thought it was a nice place that was out of place (in a good way) amid all the chains at that shopping center. I'm glad to know they have their own space now. I'm also a big fan of JL Patisserie, although I go the central Phoenix location.
exit2lef

Re: Pain au chocolat in Central Scottsdale

Post by exit2lef »

I visited the Roadrunner Park Farmers Market for the first time in several months today and was pleased to see Paris Rendez-Vous has a table there.
IMG_1083.JPG
IMG_1083.JPG (445.57 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
They've got an assortment of pastry like this cinnamon bun and chocolate almond croissant that I couldn't resist.
IMG_1087.JPG
IMG_1087.JPG (509.04 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
They're also making crepes and selling quiche and ready-to-heat croque monsieurs. The only item from the shop that I didn't see at the market was gelato, for obvious logicistal reasons.