Gordos Tacos on Via Linda

The Valley of the Sun, and all that is tasty therein
Wilbur

Gordos Tacos on Via Linda

Post by Wilbur »

Gordos Tacos is a small haven of intense gustatory goodness in central Scottsdale that serves up tacos that are juicy and flavorful.

The neighborhood where the 101 awkwardly enters Scottsdale from the Salt River Maricopa Indian Community has been diced up between the city municipal yards and some unfortunate apartment development since the highway was built, and other than some notable sushi places, doesn't really feature a lot of restaurants I would recommend as destinations. Andreoli and Hiro Sushi are nearby, but this area is otherwise not known for good Southwestern or Mexican fare. Mediocre Mexican food, yes, but not good stuff.

However, Gordos Tacos appeared a couple of years ... strip mall, serving up some quite positive dishes. I direct your attention to the "Taco of the Week", which on this past Tuesday night was a pork belly beauty, with meat cooked to perfection so that it takes some toothy action to engage it, but then it bursts open and encompasses your taste buds with a smoky goodness. The regular menu includes a Tequila Lime Shrimp that is my personal favorite, piled high with big shrimp, fresh sliced cabbage, and some kind of creamy, peppery sauce.
IMG_3711.JPG
IMG_3711.JPG (181.64 KiB) Viewed 3527 times
The cooks work hard in the small kitchen, and I have on occasion come and asked, "What are you making, because it smells amazing?" and then ordering whatever it was with success. The small green containers contain a moderately hot salsa verde, but it seems superfluous given the menu items have so much taste inherent to them.

This may not be a restaurant for you if ambience is high on your list, given the very small dining area and impressive musical volume. But if you want a meal just south of the Shea corridor with aqua frescas, excellent tacos, and some dulce de leche desserts to follow, this is a good option.
PHXeater

Re: Gordos Tacos on Via Linda

Post by PHXeater »

Funny you post this as I've been a few times and really enjoyed it but kept debating if it actually is really good, or is it just that it's very close to me and the bar is so low in this area of Scottsdale? Soon I will finally have nightbloom (ack, how do I tag users?) join me for lunch to get a third opinion, rather than just keep talking about it.

Additional locale info:

Gordos Tacos
www.tacosgordos.com/
9015 E Vía Linda #105
Scottsdale, AZ 85258
mattrozen

Post by mattrozen »

I am down for a lunch reunion as well!
mattrozen

Post by mattrozen »

I went and tried it for lunch this week. Best taco I have had in Scottsdale in a long time. Had the carnitas Tacos, Al Pastor, and the birria taco. I think carnitas were my favorite. The tortillas were what were the best part IMO.