Can we talk about Taco Chelo? [DTPHX]

The Valley of the Sun, and all that is tasty therein
jayj

Can we talk about Taco Chelo? [DTPHX]

Post by jayj »

Located in downtown Phoenix, on RoRo (Roosevelt Row), Taco Chelo is up there as my favourite place to grab a taco. The menu is tight with a small but great selection of tacos, a couple of salads, a torta, burrito, etc.

I am a big fan of their chicken, carnitas, and sonoran taco. Their chicken taco is a sleeper hit. I never usually get a chicken taco, but they use chicken thigh and it is beautifully juicey, touched by the grill, and just like all of their tacos—they are generously filled. The fish taco gets a lot of love, but IMO it's less consistent than their other tacos.

And the tortillas! Their corn torillas are so good. Super soft, and so delicious.

If you've never been, check it out on a Tuesday. Yes, it's taco Tuesday, but of all days of the week, the tacos are on fire on Tuesdays—as well as their salsas.

But, I have to ask — why do I never see Taco Chelo show up on any sort of best of list? It doesn't seem to show up anywhere. And the food is GOOD. The people there are fantastic. And it's not expensive, considering the location. So what gives? Why aren't people talking about it?

Taco Chelo
501 E Roosevelt St,
Phoenix, AZ 85004
https://tacochelo.com/
exit2lef

Re: Can we talk about Taco Chelo?

Post by exit2lef »

I don't pay much attention to "best of" lists, but I'm always happy to talk about Taco Chelo. I somehow missed the chicken taco. It must have been added since my most recent visit. All the tacos are good, and I particulary like the beans charro style in a sort of smoky soup with a bit of bacon and pico de gallo on top.

My most recent meal there was one fish taco and one veggie taco with a side of beans. The veegie taco is not an afterthought with just some beans in a toritlla. It stands on its own with roasted sweet potato as its main ingredient and feta, pepitas, and romesco adding some flavor and texture to an unexpectedly complex taco.
IMG_2066.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG (625.37 KiB) Viewed 2430 times
There was a recent announcement of a second location coming soon in Tempe, supposedly in August. I passed by the address on College Avenue earlier today and saw a storefront that might be a work in progress, but it was hard to tell what was going on inside. If this happens, it will be delayed, just like almost every restaurant opening.

https://whatnowphoenix.com/taco-chelo-e ... -in-tempe/
jayj

Post by jayj »

100% agree about the veggie taco. Though it is a bit hit and miss. A few times, the veggies haven't been cooked through properly. Not on a Tuesday though!

Their taco specials are always worth a try. The latest, papas and chorizo, was an indulgent treat.

I know there are a lot of great taco joints in this city, but to see Taco Boys featured over Chelo in Netflix's Taco Chronicles made me sad.
exit2lef

Post by exit2lef »

I think the arrival of Taco Boys (Thankfully, they've dropped the superfluous apostrophe in their name) just a block away stole some of the limelight from Taco Chelo. I love Taco Boys and would eat their barbacoa tacos fajita style any day. Nevertheless, it's a different type of place entirely and both should be able to coexist (along with Tacos Calafia, which is two blocks away). My only worry about Taco Boys is if they can maintain quality in the face of rapid expansion. They now have four locations, including two that are less than a mile from each other in Tempe.
Last edited by exit2lef on Tue Oct 10, 2023 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
jayj

Post by jayj »

Agree about Taco Boys. They're super generous with their filling, too. Which I can see has some appeal. My husband's vegetarian, and they don't exactly cater for that really well.

Had no idea they were expanding so fast!
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Re: Can we talk about Taco Chelo? [DTPHX]

Post by Skillet Doux »

Yeah, Taco Boys really stole their thunder, which is a shame, not because Taco Boys isn't awesome, but because they're so different.

Suny Santana takes a LOT of care with this stuff.

tacochelo_carnitas.jpg
tacochelo_carnitas.jpg (633.29 KiB) Viewed 2333 times

I mean, come ON... who else is going all-out with their carnitas like this? Snouts, copper pots and all! :-D

tacochelo_carnitastaco.jpg
tacochelo_carnitastaco.jpg (463.35 KiB) Viewed 2333 times

You can taste it. Such intense, porky goodness on these fellas.

I'm way overdue, now that you mention it.
-Dom
Lunchbox

Post by Lunchbox »

Skillet Doux wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:53 pm I mean, come ON... who else is going all-out with their carnitas like this? Snouts, copper pots and all! :-D
Whoa.

I mean, that shit is crazy. Not in a bad way, of course. How did you get that photo? I just feel like there's a story here... :lol:

This alone makes me prioritize a visit next time I'm down there... Super cool! Thanks for sharing that one Señor Doux!
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

I agree with JayJ's point regarding the chicken and the vegetable tacos. Really outstanding tacos, a head above the rest on the menu.