Holy Basil

Cooking at home and sourcing ingredients

Holy Basil

Postby spicegal » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:43 am

[Split from The Pad Grapow Project. -Mod]

Did a little digging and found out you can buy the seeds and also already grown holy basil plants on eBay. I also found on importfood.com dried holy basil. I read the taste does differ and is also being called hot basil they say it has a more peppery taste. It is also sold in the form of pills for multiple health benefits.
spicegal

Re: Pad Grapow project

Postby Mike Todd » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:59 am

Based on a Facebook post from her business's account, I think Desert Gal might be working on propagating this variety for sale. I keep hoping she will chime in on this thread, but maybe I need to be more proactive. :)
Mike Todd

Postby grrlscout » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:01 pm

Last year, I bought a Holy Basil plant at Root Phoenix, so it was likely Desert Gal progeny.

Unfortunately, my plant burst into flames before it ever got big enough to harvest from.Therefore, I can't comment on it as an ingredient.

Actually, the only thing in that picture that is still alive is the kale. :( Though, the epazote and i'itoi onions did live for quite a while.
~ Korina
frufrufrau of frufrupops | forager | permie | maker of things
grrlscout

Postby Desert Gal » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:20 pm

Yes Maaam, those are my babies! Not good that they all croaked, on you! I've got about 300 Holy Basil in the pipeline if you'd like to take a crack at another one.
Desert Gal

Postby Desert Gal » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:22 pm

Also, the Thai basil that has the same Latin name as the Hindu Holy Basil is a completely different animal. I grow them all except one holy variety that my East-Indian American friends tell me is not used for culinary or holy purposes.
Desert Gal

Postby Tim H » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:50 am

grrlscout, my holy basil seeds never germinated. And now my precious beans are dying in the heat -- put a lot of love in them, in shade most of the day, but the leaves are all withering away.

Desert Gal, let us know when you get the holy basil in!

kvkins, I'm with you on the onions. I think they add a nice sweetness and crunch. And yeah, Wild Thaiger is now at the top of my list.
The food you eat every day is the most important food. - Judy Rodgers
Tim H

Postby Desert Gal » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:46 pm

Regarding Holy Basil/Thai Basil...I'm no expert on Pad Grapow so it is entirely possible that I am not growing the basil variety you want. I have Sweet Thai Basil, Siam Queen Thai Basil, Holy Red & Green Tulsi Basil (aka Krishna Tulsi Basil) and just received seeds for the true Lakshmi Tulsi Basil.

I'm thinking the basil you seek for Pad Grapow is either Nicobar or Samui Holy Basil. See this link and let me know as I would be happy to order this seed from the link below and pop them under my grow lights.

http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_holy_basil.html
Desert Gal

Postby Desert Gal » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:56 pm

001.JPG
Siam Queen Thai Basil

003.JPG
Sweet Thai Basil

004.JPG
Holy Red & Green (Krishna Tulsi) Basil

005.JPG
Holy Green (Lakshmi Tulsi) Basil in Back - Krishna in front
Desert Gal

Postby Tim H » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:15 am

Desert Gal wrote:I'm thinking the basil you seek for Pad Grapow is either Nicobar or Samui Holy Basil. See this link and let me know as I would be happy to order this seed from the link below and pop them under my grow lights.

http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_holy_basil.html

I believe it would be the Samui basil, but please don't go to the trouble just for a few grapow cranks. I can live with Thai basil in my grapow. :)
Tim H

Postby Desert Gal » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:27 am

Tim, I'm happy to grow it! I have been trying to pin down all the different culinary basil varieties, and it is my pleasure to learn about this variety. Since I don't do retail sales, that means the Food Nerds will have a place on my "Friends and Family" table of freebie transplants. I've already ordered the seed and will update you in about a month!
Desert Gal

Postby Tim H » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:39 am

Desert Gal wrote:Tim, I'm happy to grow it! I have been trying to pin down all the different culinary basil varieties, and it is my pleasure to learn about this variety. Since I don't do retail sales, that means the Food Nerds will have a place on my "Friends and Family" table of freebie transplants. I've already ordered the seed and will update you in about a month!

Desert Gal, you are awesome! Thank you.
Tim H

Postby Desert Gal » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:35 am

I received the Samui basil seed a few days ago and have a few hundred incubating in the grow system. I also started some Thai "Bird" peppers just for fun and will keep you updated as to the progress!
Desert Gal

Postby Desert Gal » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:17 am

Samui basil has germinated nicely! Hopefully it is a fast grower. I'll post pic's when it is a bit bigger.
Desert Gal

Postby M_L » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:04 pm

Perhaps you need one of these to really make them flourish.

Plants need walks too right?
M_L

Postby Desert Gal » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:21 pm

If you can find one that can hold 300 plants, then sure!
007.JPG
Baby Samui Basil starts
Desert Gal

Postby Desert Gal » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:45 pm

All you folks that want to try to grow your own Samui Basil for Pad Grapow, you have about two weeks to figure out what you're gonna do with it, i.e. getting a nice ceramic pot + transplanting mix or finding a welcoming spot in your garden for it to grow.

Basil likes full sun or at least 6 hours a day of sun, frequent fertilizer (Organic please!) and a rich soil mix that is never allowed to dry out completely.

The baby Samui basil starts were fertilized for the first time a few days ago and today they were moved out from under the grow lights to the big bad outside. We will transplant on Monday and do our voodoo magic on them and they will be ready for your gardens in about 10 days.
004.JPG
They will grow quite a bit after they get transplanted next week.

I've never had Pad Grapow and now I'm gonna wait to try it with this basil, hopefully from a recipe someone here supplies.

On another note, this basil looks suspiciously like the Holy Tulsi Basil that is sacred to Hindus. There are two kinds of Holy Tulsi Basil and I have both. They taste completely different, one is almost medicinal (Tulsi Krishna). It would be fun to have someone who really knows what flavor the dish should have to try the more flavorful one (Tulsi Lakshmi) to compare to the Samui. Tim?
Desert Gal

Postby Tim H » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:09 am

Desert Gal, Wikipedia says that grapow and tulsi basil are indeed the same (ocimum tenuiflorum), though the confusion comes from the subvarieties you mention. In Thailand, there's grapow daeng (reddish stem) and grapow khao (whitish/lighter stem). It's the red grapow daeing that's used in pad grapow.

From the following description, it sounds as though the Krishna tulsi may be grapow daeng: "Krishna (Ocimum teniflorum) is known for its medicinal value and peppery crisp taste. The plant has dark green to purple leaves, stems, and blossoms."

I'm certainly willing to cook up some comparison batches. :)

(By the way, I haven't checked out any restaurants recently because it's just too hot for spicy food. I plan to continue when it cools down a bit.)
Tim H

Re: Holy Basil

Postby Desert Gal » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:03 pm

Tim,

Yes indeed on the Wiki info. I knew there were three kinds of Holy Hindu Basil (Lakshmi, Krishna & Vana) but I just never really stumbled on the Holy Thai version, and learned of it when digging into it for this thread. It just goes to show you, even someone like me, who may have 10 to 20 distinct varieties of basil growing at any time, still have things to learn, both culinary-wise and medicinal-wise, which is my other area of interest. Sometimes they overlap, sometimes they do not :-D. Learning about this basil is one of the reasons I love the Phx Food Nerds! Thanks Dom!
Desert Gal

Postby Desert Gal » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:12 pm

Tim, if it is the red stem instead of the green stem for your dish then I should have ordered the Nicobar variety from Kitazawa Seed instead of the Samui. There is still plenty of warm weather ahead so I'll order that seed and in the meantime we can get these other varieties growing. Jeez, when you add the two Thai Holy varieties into the mix, that is FIVE different holy varieties. No wonder people like me are confused. I'm hoping we can nail this down and make the best variety widely available. I know a few local farmers. Heh.
Desert Gal

Postby phxmacbear » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:12 pm

I'd love to partake in this, being a big pad grapow fan, but I have no skill at growing things. No, really...I've managed to kill lantana and aloe vera. And I have two potted mother-in-law tongue plants that are holding on for dear life, but slipping fast. (Yes, those are the plants that they use in airport planters, in basements, without light and subject to public abuse...and they flourish...but in my house? Dead.)

Having said that, should any of the leaves of these varieties ever be for sale somewhere I'd be happy to buy a bunch for immediate cooking use!

(P.S. Tim H...is there such a thing as "too hot for spicy foods"?! I guess my cravings know no weather boundaries...I get iced drinks in winter and keep eating spicy foods in August.)
phxmacbear

Next

Return to Kitchen, Market & Garden