Hunting the Finest Stew Meat of All at Costco

Cooking at home and sourcing ingredients
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Hunting the Finest Stew Meat of All at Costco

Post by Skillet Doux »

Short Ribs.jpg
Short Ribs.jpg (250.7 KiB) Viewed 3090 times

Behold... Costco's "Beef Chuck Short Ribs," the greatest stew meat of all, appears to have returned to Costco.

A brief history:

Once upon a time, lo a dozen years ago, I fell upon a package of this magical cut of beef at Costco and took it home. I used it to make some family favorites like Thit Bo Kho, Cognac and Dijon beef stew, been rendang, and more.

What makes this cut so wonderful?
  • Relatively inexpensive. It's no $6/lb. stew meat, but it's a midrange cut that plays like premium when slow-cooked.
  • It's basically boneless short rib, and it's always well-marbled, meaning that it has some serious flavor and a really juicy, silky texture when it breaks down.
  • Costco packs it in these long, 1"x1"x12" strips, which are incredibly quick and convenient to slice into 1" stewing cubes.
It was my go-to. It was my favorite. Which is why my heart asploded when it completely disappeared from all of the local Costco stores about a year and half ago.

BUT, I popped into the Cactus Costco a couple of days ago to pick up some meds, I decided to breeze the butcher case, and lo and behold, there it was. Just one package half-buried among flats of carne asada, but it was my beloved beef chuck short ribs.

I accosted a butcher who was setting out some product and asked. He said that they had suddenly started receiving it again a couple of months ago, and that he knew more was incoming. He couldn't confirm whether or not other stores were getting it too, but I have to believe this kind of distro is done at least on the regional level.

So if anybody is doing a Costco run:

1) I would STRONGLY encourage you to pick some up and make some kind of stew out of it.
2) If you're feeling super helpful, you could post sightings here and help out the rest of us. Just sayin'

P.S. For those PHXfn'ers who recall the Bo Kho Throwdown or the beef rendang from the potluck, this was my chosen cut of beef. It is magical.
-Dom
M_L-H.P.A.

Re: Hunting the Finest Stew Meat of All at Costco

Post by M_L-H.P.A. »

Have used this, can confirm its majesty.
Lunchbox

Post by Lunchbox »

We used to buy these all the time and cook them in the Instapot for a tasty dinner. My daughter loves them. We have had a hard time finding a costco replacement and we found these at our E.V. clubs as well. Little Ms. 13 y/o food snob is very happy.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Post by Skillet Doux »

Lunchbox wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:52 am ...we found these at our E.V. clubs as well.
I'm presuming you don't mean Electric Vehicle? What's an EV club? If they disappear from Costco again, I'm going to need backup :-)
-Dom
Lunchbox

Post by Lunchbox »

EV = East Valley!

We go to these three Costco locations pretty consistently depending on where we are in town...

There's one in Mesa @ AZ Ave and Baseline. Also the one on the 60 and Sossaman. And then in Gilbert at the San Tan Mall area.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Post by Skillet Doux »

*facepalm*
-Dom
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

First off, so happy the PHX Food nerds are back!

Have you all been to the Business Costco off 33rd Ave? I get out there on occasion and would get "large" (5-10lb) vacuum packs of short ribs. Usually they are english cut and they seem to alternate bone in or boneless. I haven't been recently to see if the price has changed as my last trip I got a lot for the freezer.