Bar Cena

The Valley of the Sun, and all that is tasty therein
Wilbur

Bar Cena

Post by Wilbur »

We have enjoyed the Hush Public House in the past, so this weekend we tried the next-door neighbor that shares a kitchen, the Bar Cena. Formerly the two places were more open to each other, but recent remodeling restricts movement back and forth to a small door toward the back of the respective locations.

If you are a duo, you can reserve a table, but larger groups get low tables and comfy chairs and couches. Overall Bar Cena is a nice place to spend a little time, and the music is not so overwhelming as to interrupt normal conversation. Service was pleasant without being intrusive, including brief chats and visit from the bartender who generously topped up some glasses. We visited during the Power Hour, so our bill was less crushing than it could have been. Interestingly, our favorites tended towards the less expensive end of the bill.

We ordered a number of dishes to share, and here are some of our favorites, ranked in order of how much I liked them.

Desserts: Yes, the desserts are small, but they are also terrific. The Billionaire's Shortbread features rich caramel, chocolate ganache, and sea salt, and the shortbread itself is excellent. The picture shows two orders of the shortbread, so be aware that they are small. The Grateful Spoon vanilla gelato affogato is similarly rich and flavorful. The Negroni in the picture also got a thumbs up from my better half.
Cena 02.jpg
Cena 02.jpg (242.81 KiB) Viewed 116 times
The Crispy Potato Pave with duck fat, chives and rouille was perfectly baked - crunchy exterior and well-done interior of scalloped potatoes. Toothsome and just the right balance of hard and soft components.
Cena 05.jpg
Cena 05.jpg (228.07 KiB) Viewed 116 times
The Muffuleta Croquettes, aka "fancy cheese poppers", with olives, provolone, sesame seeds and fennel, are similarly baked to get the balance right between crunchy and smooth. The salad / garnish roughens up the taste buds, and the croquettes provide the requisite mouthfeel. Both this and the potato dish really were excellent in terms of execution from the kitchen.
Cena 03.jpg
Cena 03.jpg (338.64 KiB) Viewed 116 times
Rounding out the top four was the Marinated Cucumbers with Whipped Tofu. This was a wild mouthful of disparate tastes and textures that seems a little oversold, in that the waitress warned us about the chilies being hot. This wasn't at all too spicy, but it was sour and umami and cold and warm and crunchy and smooth all at once, so it really works over the tastebuds. The tofu is not "tempei" style, nor is it really "tahu" style, but I think it was a "tahu" style that received a strong whisking to make it even less of a solid and more of a liquid. My wife's opinion was that is was a silken tofu that was then whipped, so maybe that is the correct description.
Cena 06.jpg
Cena 06.jpg (315.05 KiB) Viewed 116 times
The restaurant is in one of the out-buildings / fingers of Thunderbird Center along Scottsdale Road, facing north, alongside Hush. If you are driving around looking for it, I recommend looking for the Hush signage, which is more easily visible.

14202 N Scottsdale Rd
Scottsdale, AZ 85254
https://barcenascottsdale.com/

(Sorry about the photo orientation - I cannot seem to get pictures to display right-side up in this editor.)
exit2lef

Re: Bar Cena

Post by exit2lef »

The world needs more small desserts. I like to finish a meal with a sweet taste, but a little goes a long way.
Are the photos correctly oriented before you upload them and somehow getting rotated in the process?
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Post by Skillet Doux »

exit2lef wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:18 pm Are the photos correctly oriented before you upload them and somehow getting rotated in the process?
This is a pernicious bug that I am trying to fix. Many cameras/phones tag photos with the correct orientation rather than actually rotating the image. phpBB is reading the image, but NOT the tag, so it’s posting the images in the orientation they were actually shot. I thought I had it nipped and promptly forgot about it, but it looks like I need to dive back in.
-Dom
Wilbur

Post by Wilbur »

Skillet Doux wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:56 pm This is a pernicious bug that I am trying to fix. Many cameras/phones tag photos with the correct orientation rather than actually rotating the image. phpBB is reading the image, but NOT the tag, so it’s posting the images in the orientation they were actually shot. I thought I had it nipped and promptly forgot about it, but it looks like I need to dive back in.
We had a pretty good time at Bar Cena, but I assure you that I was NOT standing on my head when I took that picture of the pickles and tofu. ;)
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Post by Skillet Doux »

Wilbur wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 12:06 pm
Skillet Doux wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:56 pm This is a pernicious bug that I am trying to fix. Many cameras/phones tag photos with the correct orientation rather than actually rotating the image. phpBB is reading the image, but NOT the tag, so it’s posting the images in the orientation they were actually shot. I thought I had it nipped and promptly forgot about it, but it looks like I need to dive back in.
We had a pretty good time at Bar Cena, but I assure you that I was NOT standing on my head when I took that picture of the pickles and tofu. ;)
Certainly not, but if your phone was flipped the opposite way (or if you snapped the picture quickly before it had a chance to adjust), it may have thought you were :-)

Anyway, it’s on my to-do list for this week. Will try to carve out the time to get it sorted out.
-Dom