Rough Rider - Saucy American in DTPHX

The Valley of the Sun, and all that is tasty therein
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Rough Rider - Saucy American in DTPHX

Post by Skillet Doux »

I've been meaning to get into Rough Rider for... well, pretty much since they opened. And I have to say, I really enjoyed my first pass.

For those who haven't been, it's a little tricky to locate. There's almost nothing in the way of signage on the exterior of the Ten-O-One building, and nothing to guide you once you're indoors. The middle elevator, however, is wood-paneled, and it's the only one that goes to the basement where the restaurant is located.

It's a fun space! Dim, loud but not nuts, done up in a late 19th century motif in keeping with the name. An outstanding oversized portrait of Teddy Roosevelt hangs in the entrance. It's got some character, but they don't take themselves too seriously, so it doesn't drift into Disney territory.

There's a raw bar, a fairly long list of smaller share plates and a handful of mains, all of which look pretty hearty.

roughrider_seafoodtower.jpg
roughrider_seafoodtower.jpg (149.5 KiB) Viewed 1570 times

I wanted to get a good sense of what the raw bar can do, so we kicked it off with a seafood tower. Top tier was shrimp, smoked salmon dip, and the requisite sauces. Bottom tier was oysters and king crab. It's a good platter — solid sauces, all of the seafood carefully prepped. It isn't something inspired like you're going to get at Nelson's or offbeat like the Maple & Ash hot seafood tower, but they stick the landing. It's listed as MP, which ended up being $125.

roughrider_cauliflower.jpg
roughrider_cauliflower.jpg (192.12 KiB) Viewed 1570 times

After a cold seafood start, we did a couple of shared vegetables for Round 2. First up was the fried cauliflower, tempura fried with malt vinegar aioli and pickled onions. It's a pretty hefty share plate, and deftly done. Exacly what you expect, nicely seasoned, nicely done.

roughrider_cabbagenewburg.jpg
roughrider_cabbagenewburg.jpg (199.05 KiB) Viewed 1570 times

We made a starter out of the vegerarian main, and I LOVED this one. Their grilled Cabbage Newberg comes along with fried sea lettuce and garlic breadcrumbs in a vegan cognac cream. This was just wonderful. Great char and flavor on the cabbage, and I loved the crisp texture of the fried sea lettuce. I'm not sure what constitutes vegan cream, but I was getting a pretty strong tahini flavor. Whatever the composition is slayed. Great dish.

roughrider_chicken.jpg
roughrider_chicken.jpg (199.24 KiB) Viewed 1570 times

Great sauce on this chicken — a marsala-spiked pan sauce, maybe? — ringing celery root puree and an absolutely perfect piece of chicken. Chicken breast bores the crap out of me, but I would get this again in a heartbeat. Tender and juicy, with GORGEOUS crisp skin. Very, very tight.

roughrider_porkchop.jpg
roughrider_porkchop.jpg (176.9 KiB) Viewed 1570 times

Man, the sauce game is strong here. A black garlic demi, to be precise, and that's one hell of a pork chop. Tender and crazy juicy with a nice crisp fennel and apple slaw.

I realize those meats look pretty much straight down the middle, and they *kind of* are, I guess, but they're executed so sharply that they really stand out.

I'm looking forward to getting back here.

Rough Rider
roughrideraz.com
602-675-0439
1001 N. Central Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85004
-Dom
immersivemachine

Re: Rough Rider - Saucy American in DTPHX

Post by immersivemachine »

I wanna go in just for that cabbage, tbh. Looks awesome.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Post by Skillet Doux »

immersivemachine wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:28 pm I wanna go in just for that cabbage, tbh. Looks awesome.
They managed to create a vegan entree that slides right into the middle of a hefty, rich, meat-centric menu and you'd barely notice if you weren't paying attention.
-Dom
exit2lef

Post by exit2lef »

I enjoy Rough Rider. I've found the food there as much "foamy" as saucy. There are a lot of airy sauces and meringues that look heavy at first but turn out to be manageable. This is the half chicken surrounded by a celery root puree.
IMG_1974.jpeg
IMG_1974.jpeg (172.16 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
This is potatoes and artichokes with mascarpone and chimichurri, an interesting pairing that provides a nice contrast.
IMG_1972.jpeg
IMG_1972.jpeg (149.08 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
This is wild mushroom taglierini with tarragon and a cream sauce.
IMG_1973.jpeg
IMG_1973.jpeg (154.35 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
Speaking of vegan dishes, the meringue in this dish is made not with eggs, but instead with aquafaba (chickpea water).
IMG_1975.jpeg
IMG_1975.jpeg (139.73 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
I believe the marshmallow on this s'mores cake is the real deal, but it could also be a vegan alternative.
IMG_1977.jpeg
IMG_1977.jpeg (145.34 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
And of course there are coctails like this spicy "Gone Postal" with cacao shavings over mezcal.
IMG_1966.jpeg
IMG_1966.jpeg (121.72 KiB) Viewed 1443 times
They've put signs around the building to make the restaurant's basement location easier to find. I guess that's a necessity of doing business, although I liked the speakeasy feel in the early days. They've since added Teddy"s Preserve, a casual cousin of Rough Rider that operates in the building lobby and courtyard. I look forward to trying that soon.
Last edited by exit2lef on Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mkspangenberg

Post by mkspangenberg »

Been wanting to go for a while so thanks for the review. It is fun to dress up dapper in Vintage my old school crowd tells me.
Anninthegarden

Post by Anninthegarden »

Yum, cabbage my favorite under appreciated vegetable. Gonna have to try that ont
Nightbloom

Post by Nightbloom »

I love this place! They have a few new menu items as of a few weeks ago. I am not a big fan of the raw garlic in the crudo set, but the duck breast kills with mustard greens, grits, and a sweet marmalade. I also adore the chicken dish, which is boned and carries a remakably crispy skin. The cauliflower and artichoke/potato appetizers are huge, great for sharing, and a crowd pleaser every time. I bring work peeps and out-of-towners to RR aaalll the time and they are always raving.
One thing I don't see mentioned, yet, is their oysters. I agree that their other raw bar offerings aren't what I go to RR for, but they doalways have a variety of oysters to select from--so does everyone else, I know, but for me, their mignonette is the best in town. Add a spoonful of slightly sweet vinegar-soaked minced granny-smith apple and shallot atop whatever briny little bivalve they're offering, and you have the perfect little bite to go with another one of my favorite martinis in town. Their Martini of Honor is a vesper, so it's both gin and vodka, and the vermouth they use has a subtle sweetness with hints of star anise and fresh fennel. 🖤🖤
BillBuitenhuys

Post by BillBuitenhuys »

I've only been to RR once, for cocktails, as a pre-game to Sottise. The cocktails were fab and the dishes we saw go by looked wonderful. This thread reinforces my desire to go there for food and drinks.