Spice jars and caps (or not?)

Cooking at home and sourcing ingredients
chowhokam

Spice jars and caps (or not?)

Post by chowhokam »

We keep our spices in a wide (side-to-side) and deep (front-to-back) drawer, and despite semi-frequent reorganizing/sorting, the containers (mostly 4 oz/125ml round glass jars) end up shifting this way and that, which eventually makes things hard to find. After years of frustration, I'm considering a switch to square jars, maybe with dividers to help hold things in place. I'm wondering (a) if anyone has a line on a good source for jars and plastic (or other non-reactive) caps that doesn't require buying at least a gross, (b) if anyone thinks I'm crazy for even bothering with such a change, which leads to (c) what would you do instead?
exit2lef

Re: Spice jars and caps (or not?)

Post by exit2lef »

Sorry for the late reply, but I just noticed this thread. The Container Store has square jars for spices: https://www.containerstore.com/s?q=square+jars
chowhokam

Re: Spice jars and caps (or not?)

Post by chowhokam »

exit2lef wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:36 pm The Container Store has square jars for spices
Definitely considered them, but my hope has been to find a less expensive option. One issue that I've run into with the "bulk" vendors is that some will sell you (for example) as few as 4 dozen bottles, but offer lids only in batches of ≥ 500. I'll have to go back through my search results and compare again. The hassle of getting everything I want (option to buy less than a gross of bottles+a low price on bottles+option to buy a reasonable quantity of the lids I want) may outweigh the expense of going the Container Store route.