The Larder + Delta [DTPHX]

The Valley of the Sun, and all that is tasty therein
jayj

The Larder + Delta [DTPHX]

Post by jayj »

Or maybe The RIP The Larder + Delta. Sad to read that Chef Stephen Jones had to make the painful decision to close the restaurant, located in in Downtown Phoenix.

Larder + Delta focused on southern cuisine, probably most famous for its Hoppin John (which Stephen Jones famously beat Bobby Flay with.) It was excellent. Crispy and moreish with every bite.

I appreciated their vegetable forward menu, the fried chicken that was never not juicey, and those chicken skins were droolworthy.

Image Image

A couple of the small plates: burrata and hamachi.

Though, desserts were more miss than hit pretty much every time. And that one time we got too-salty-to-eat beignets, we were told that's how they are meant to be. If you can't eat something because of how salty it is, that's a problem, right?

According to their instagram, they'll still be around for pop-ups and the like. And they still have an outlet at the Footprint Center.
exit2lef

Re: The Larder + Delta [DTPHX]

Post by exit2lef »

Yes, I will miss this place. I used to enjoy sitting at the two-seat counter during its original location at the DeSoto Central Market and was then pleased to see it gradudate to its own space on Portland Street.

The perlou was a favorite at both sites.
IMG_6514.jpeg
IMG_6514.jpeg (431.37 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
As was the hoppin' John.
IMG_6708.jpeg
IMG_6708.jpeg (620.24 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
Chef Jones has a way with vegetables. I usually cook collard greens until they surrender, but this salad taught me they could be good nearly raw.
IMG_6178.jpeg
IMG_6178.jpeg (474.96 KiB) Viewed 2917 times
I don't remember much about desserts. I don't think they ever displeased me, but I don't think they thrilled me in the same way as the rest of the menu.

I don't know the details what led to the closure -- whether it was just an impasse over rent or if other issues were involved. I hope that the Portland on the Park condominium can attract an equally good tenant to this prime space. Unfortunately, their other ground floor tenant, Valley Coffee, seems as generic as its name. Most importantly of all, I hope Stephen Jones finds another location and can continue to what he does so well.
ToneRanger

Post by ToneRanger »

This makes me so sad - Larder + the Delta was a favorite of mine and I loved taking people here. Their brunch was a great way to start a weekend day downtown too. I really hope they can find another space.

Does anyone have other favorite Southern (non-Cajun) restaurants in the Valley? This Georgia boy needs his fix!
jayj

Post by jayj »

exit2lef wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:30 am I don't know the details what led to the closure -- whether it was just an impasse over rent or if other issues were involved. I hope that the Portland on the Park condominium can attract an equally good tenant to this prime space. Unfortunately, their other ground floor tenant, Valley Coffee, seems as generic as its name. Most importantly of all, I hope Stephen Jones finds another location and can continue to what he does so well.
From what I read, the closure was down to not being able to come to an agreement with the landlord on the rent. Which seems to be a trend, especially in the downtown area.

Valley Coffee's actually pretty good. It's a nice space, good coffee, and enjoyable pastries.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Post by Skillet Doux »

This is a brutal closure, but it’s also not surprising. That was always a weird, tricky space. And when I heard complaints about TL+TD, they were never about the food.

It sounds like the last year, especially, was really rough on Jones. He’s such a talent, my hope is that he partners up with somebody rock solid to handle operations so he can focus on the kitchen. I don’t know if that’s what he wants, but my hunch is that might be what would work best.

But beyond that, I don’t want to speculate too much. You never know what’s going on behind the scenes.
-Dom
exit2lef

Post by exit2lef »

jayj wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:57 am
Valley Coffee's actually pretty good. It's a nice space, good coffee, and enjoyable pastries.
I'm glad to hear it has worked for you. My two visits -- one for tea & pastry and another for a sandwich -- left me unimpressed. I'll give it another try someday.
PHXeater

Post by PHXeater »

I always wanted to love Larder (so many of my friends did!) but it was maddeningly inconsistent. When the food and service were ON it was great, but unfortunately I seemed to be a bit cursed with my meals there compared to others and most of my dinners there were just OK, sometimes bad.

Hoping it all works out and a new space/opportunity brings more consistency.
jayj

Post by jayj »

PHXeater wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:44 am I always wanted to love Larder (so many of my friends did!) but it was maddeningly inconsistent. When the food and service were ON it was great
Won't lie, have experienced the same thing, too. When they were on, it was truly magical.