Via 313 Pizza - Detroit Pizza in the Desert

The Valley of the Sun, and all that is tasty therein
PHXeater

Via 313 Pizza - Detroit Pizza in the Desert

Post by PHXeater »

Via 313 is a mini chain that just came to AZ with a location right in Tempe next to ASU. Up until now there wasn't much proper Detroit style pizza - and what did exist was mediocre at best. Luckily, that now has changed! Via 313 is equal to the best Detroit pizza spots in Michigan like Buddy's.

If you haven't had it, Detroit's square or rectangle (depending on size) pizza is a pan pizza that is a perfect fit on the pizza spectrum between a thin crust and a full on deep dish. When done right it's a foccacia-esque dough with brick cheese spread right to the edge of the pan making a crunchy + chewy + caramelized crust. And Via 313's was exact right amount of crusty caramelization with nice quality toppings each time we've gone.

We have had the Hawaiian, the Detroiter (Pepperoni on top and underneath the cheese), and the Ambassador Bridge (Sausage, Natural Casing Pepperoni, Fresh Garlic, Italian Oregano, House-Made Ricotta) and the Ambassador Bridge is a favorite so far. There are also dessert cinnamon sticks which are not high brow culinary cuisine but a very delicious way to finish up the carb loading. Via 313 also has a thin crust pizza but have not explored that part of the menu yet.

Via 313 also has Superman ice cream, Vernor's Ginger Ale, and Faygo so many of the Michiganders who've relocated to AZ will feel right at home.

**I'm having issues with rotated photos again so will try to come back and update with the pictures. Of course, the internet has plenty if you want to google**

Via 313 Pizza
www.via313.com
(480) 744-4313
715 S Rural Rd #101
Tempe, AZ 85281
phxscoob

Re: Via 313 Pizza - Detroit Pizza in the Desert

Post by phxscoob »

Agreed, got these to go a few weeks ago. Very garlicky, in a good way. One quibble I had was the pizzas are rectangular but came in square pizza boxes. Hopefully this was just a supply issue and not the norm. Fly Bye and Jets have rectangular boxes. It just keeps the pizza warmer and cuts down on any sliding. This might just be an old man yelling at clouds.
exit2lef

Post by exit2lef »

I love that the name is based on the orignal Detroit area code, and that there's a pizza named for the legendary proto-punk rock group MC5. The Ambassador Bridge name suggests a pizza that incorporates both U.S. and Canadian aspects, but I'm probably reading too much into that. With Detroit Coney Grill having just turned over its Mill Avenue location to Taco Boys, it's good to have another Detroit-style place in Tempe.
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Post by Skillet Doux »

exit2lef wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2023 6:46 pmWith Detroit Coney Grill having just turned over its Mill Avenue location to Taco Boys...
Ohhhhhh, is THAT what happened there? Yeah, I wasn't buying the "temporary" closure. It looked dead.
-Dom
Lunchbox

Post by Lunchbox »

Thanks for this. We've been wanting to try this but haven't made it over yet.

We usually get good Detroit pizza from The Rec when we drive to Vegas. But that's a hike for us.

I also tolerate a slice from Joe's Farm Grill of all places. It does in a pinch but it's only ok. So I'm happy to have 313 closer to home.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvxYxzDhvBC/