Buck & Rider - Seafood in the desert

The Valley of the Sun, and all that is tasty therein
Lunchbox

Buck & Rider - Seafood in the desert

Post by Lunchbox »

We hit the new Buck & Rider at Epicenter at Agritopia in Gilbert on Saturday night. Pretty hard. And for a new restaurant, they pretty much nailed it. I haven't been to the other locations but I was impressed. The only thing that I was salty about was that they ran out of the halibut at about 5:30 pm and when I went to order it at 6:30... Well you can see what happened there... But what can you do, it was crazy busy in there.
IMG_3386.png
IMG_3386.png (745.55 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
We started with some solid cocktails. I had the beachcomer which was basically a mai tai. Good start.
IMG_3393.png
IMG_3393.png (844.28 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
They made us wait really long for our table (beyond our reservation) so they sent out a plate of calamari right away. Decent. I'm not a huge fan so I'll never rave about calamari. Ever. But this was good.
voodoorice.png
voodoorice.png (759.55 KiB) Viewed 1178 times
Voodoo Fried rice - shrimp, chicken, peas, gochujang, red fresnos. Really tasty. This is on the Restaurant Week menu and I highly recommend it. I did add a little soy sauce to punch it up a bit but it was tasty.
burger.png
burger.png (892.16 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
We ordered a burger as an app and split it 4 ways. Really f'n tasty. Lots of Umami. "B&R Reserve beef, Beecher’s smoked cheddar, crispy shallots, served with french fries". Fries were great too. But that cheddar cheese was so good.
crabroll.png
crabroll.png (932.63 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
Baked Yuzu crab roll: blue crab, tuna, serrano pepper, soy paper, avocado. Super nice rolls. Such fresh seafood.
spicytuna.png
spicytuna.png (933.02 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
Spicy tuna roll: sushi grade tuna, avocado, spicy aioli on crispy rice. I could eat 17 plates of this. I'm such a sucker for crispy rice.
hamachicrudo.png
hamachicrudo.png (765.04 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
Hamachi crudo. I mean, seriously, such an amazing dish. swimming in a Thai chili sauce and ponzu. It just melted in your mouth. Outstanding.
halflobster.png
halflobster.png (896.96 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
I had a steak. It was fine. Seasoned ok, cooked well. Blah blah blah. They were out of the halibut as I mentioned so I took one for the team. But I paired it with a half lobster. Came with a claw too. Ok, cool. I don't like picking my meat out of a claw and I'd rather have a small whole tail but it was all good. This particular claw was a bitch to get open. Here's my steak:
steak.png
steak.png (890.1 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
crabcake.png
crabcake.png (893.5 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
A friend tried the crabcake with a side of shrimp scampi because she was getting full. They were both good. Crab cake didn't impress me too much but I'm not a crab cake guy. Shrimp was tasty though.
swordfish.png
swordfish.png (738.21 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
My wife loves swordfish and she loved the lemon caper beurre blanc they served with it. I had a bite and it was pretty good.
gelato.png
gelato.png (617.1 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
Dessert was gelato for restaurant week and the other thing they had didn't sound any fun so we just had some gelato. Meh. I don't know if they were going for a flower or what with that thing... It was pistachio flavor and it was a little light on the pistachio flavor. But overall a really good experience. My wife loves her some fish so I'm sure we'll be back...
flipboard.png
flipboard.png (762.37 KiB) Viewed 1163 times
And if it's your birthday or anniversary or whatever they'll put your shit on the flipboard... It wasn't my birthday but they wished me it anyway... (Not really, there was another Zach with a birthday that night. :lol: )

Buck & Rider - Gilbert
https://buckandrider.com/
Epicenter at Agritopia
3150 E. Ray Rd.
Gilbert, AZ 85296
gilbert@buckandrider.com
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Re: Buck & Rider - Seafood in the desert

Post by Skillet Doux »

Bob Lynn definitely gets some nice product. When I've had issues there, it certainly wasn't with the quality of the seafood.

The OG B&R is very close to our house, so I drop in from time to time, usually to hit the raw bar, though I do that less often since they narrowed the happy hour(s). I used to be able to go for a late lunch, pound a bunch of shrimp and get out of there without doing too much damage.

It's interesting to me that they're expanding rather rapidly all of a sudden after, what... eight years of the original? Late bloomer, by today's standards.
-Dom
dbankert

Post by dbankert »

I've only ever been to this B&R location at Epicenter in Gilbert, was happy with the quality of the seafood, but you definitely pay for it. My main complaint was that Happy Hour is only allowed in one part of the restaurant, because you have to read the happy hour menu off the wall. They didn't really explain this when we got there (at 4pm, mistakenly thinking it wouldn't be crowded then). So we waited the usual time for a busy restaurant, only to be crammed against a counter. We did save a lot of money ordering the items from the happy hour menu, but it was pretty limited, and those items weren't anything extraordinary (e.g., voodoo rice, calamari, shrimp ceviche). We bought a roll off the regular menu that was fantastic, and I had fun with the oyster selection.

My guess is this will be my go-to place for the raw bar. Plus, that pic above of the hamachi crudo looks great, can't wait to try it and other rolls.
Lunchbox

Post by Lunchbox »

dbankert wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 12:08 pm My main complaint was that Happy Hour is only allowed in one part of the restaurant..
<rant> Oh how I despise this policy... Restauranteurs, please stop doing this. Having pricing differ based on the geographic location of your seat is so incredibly stupid to me. If we're imbibing between the posted hours, then please sell us the half-priced chicken wings in the dining room too. Or don't have happy hour at all then. I know the marketing and $ales logic behind it (former bar owner) but it's still a stupid policy. </rant>
BillBuitenhuys

Post by BillBuitenhuys »

We only went once to the OG location. The fish in both of our dishes (halibut and, um, something else) were both decimated to sawdust. Haven't felt a need to return.