New Instagram Tag

Bug reports, technical questions and how-tos
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

I've just added a new tag to make it easier to add photos directly from Instagram. Here's how to use it:
  • Pull up the Instagram photo and look at the URL.
  • Find the last alphanumeric string in the URL, immediately preceding the final slash. For example, if the URL is "http://instagram.com/p/eVkFXKNU1Y/", the part you want is the "eVkFXKNU1Y".
  • Insert the following code into the post, using this part of the URL:

Code: Select all

[insta]eVkFXKNU1Y[/insta]
  • And this will drop the photo directly into the post like so:

Note that this does not actually upload the photo to the PHXfn server, so if the URL ever changes or the photo is removed from Instagram, the photo will no longer display on PHXfn. The only way to ensure that the photo link can never be broken is to download the Instagram photo to your computer, then upload it as an attachment ("Upload attachment" tab, right below the main text box when you're posting).
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

My eyes rolled into the back of my head when I read "alphanumeric string," but I'll try to get past this and give it a try. :D

Wait, Dom...YOU, Mr. Anti-Instagram, actually catering to us Instagrammers?

I predict an Instagram account in your near future. ;)
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

I'll take that bet.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

Come over to the dark side, Dom! :twisted:
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

I'm anti-square, anti-filter, adore Photoshop for digital darkroom work, and strongly of the belief that simply posting a photo isn't nearly as valuable/constructive as taking a minute to write about the dish.

You want to stick with that prediction? :-)

Not a shot at Instagram or people who use it. It's great. Just not for me. But that's no reason not to make it as easy as possible for people to share their photos... hence the tag!
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
BarbaraToombs

6 years ago

Point taken, Dom. Gotta respect someone who sticks to their principles! :)

I like the alternatives (and am a fully-fledged Photoshop aficionado after years of having to deal with graphic design in my various job-related roles), but to me, with Instagram photos being square, it is actually a welcome creative challenge to compose a photo using that format. And I hardly ever use filters any more (well, in rare instances, usually on non-food-related things, for effect).

And I always post an Instagram photo with commentary/description/thoughts, especially about food...never just a photo by itself.

And THANK YOU so much for that Instagram tag info!! Makes it SO much easier for me to not have to upload a photo I took for Instagram purposes! :D
exit2lef

6 years ago

If you're accommodating Instagram by allowing embedding of photos in posts, would it be possible to add a link to one's Instagram account via the user control panel -- much like the way we can now link to our Facebook and Twitter accounts?
Lunchbox

6 years ago

exit2lef wrote:If you're accommodating Instagram by allowing embedding of photos in posts, would it be possible to add a link to one's Instagram account via the user control panel -- much like the way we can now link to our Facebook and Twitter accounts?
I second that...
-- LBX

Instagram: @zachary.garcia

Twitter: @zach_garcia
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Absolutely! If it isn't done within the next few days, somebody kick me to remind me.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
exit2lef

6 years ago

Just tested this feature in the Pomo thread and it worked beautifully. I may now actually post photos here from time to time.
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Instagram profile option added... thread here:

Instagram Profile Field + Button Added
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic