Vacuum sealer recs?

Cooking at home and sourcing ingredients
LaPan

Vacuum sealer recs?

Post by LaPan »

Mine just stopped breathing... Any reasonable options out there?
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Re: Vacuum sealer recs?

Post by Skillet Doux »

I've gone through four or five.

The FoodSavers do the job. There are 80 bajillion different models, and they basically offer every combination and permutation of feature and form factor under the sun and it's just a question of which you want. But they also vary quite a bit in terms of reliability and there are so many models it's hard to get data on which are durable and which aren't.

My current machine and favorite of those I've tried is the Anova Precision Vacuum Sealer Pro, which you can usually get for about $125 if you poke around a bit. (I think list is $150-$160.) Great balance of features and quality and size.

Another good one — not nearly as sexy, but pretty similar in terms of quality and features — is the Nesco VS-12. It was basically just as good as the Anova Pro, but it took up a lot more room on my counter and I liked the aesthetics of the Anova, hence the upgrade.

Note that Anova also does a bare bones vacuum sealer for about $60, but I really don't recommend it. If you do any significant amount of vacuum sealing, you're just going to end up wanting one with more features anyway.

Also, I am a VERY STRONG proponent of the jar sealer feature, which many of the vacuum sealers don't have. The ability to store dry goods in the pantry vacuum sealed in Ball jars is a game changer. h/t to Themis for turning me onto that feature.
-Dom
Lunchbox

Post by Lunchbox »

I like my Foodsaver. I've had it for years and I haven't had any problems with it. I have a jar attachment too and I don't use it a lot but when I have it's been great.

I've been very curious about the chamber vacuum sealers (Something like this.) I could see myself getting in some good trouble with one of those... Christmas is coming, I guess. 8-)
Skillet Doux
Site Admin

Post by Skillet Doux »

Lunchbox wrote: Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:01 am I've been very curious about the chamber vacuum sealers
Dude, I would kill for one of those. It's an issue of counter space for me. I know Anova makes a consumer chamber sealer as well, but I haven't really researched them so I don't know if theirs is up to snuff.

Yeah, I don't mean to lend the wrong impression. I've had a few of the Foodsavers and some of them are great. It's just a question of sifting through all of the different models. (It's straight-up bizarre how many different models there are.)
-Dom
M_L-H.P.A.

Post by M_L-H.P.A. »

I have the giant MEAT! Vacuum Chamber https://www.meatyourmaker.com/preserve/ ... ml#start=1 and it is magical but it is giant and heavy. They have a newer one that is maybe not as bad and I believe Anova https://anovaculinary.com/products/anov ... uum-sealer has a reasonably priced Chamber now as well. But those are a larger form factor however they do stuff a sealer just cannot.
Lunchbox

Post by Lunchbox »

Whoa, that MEAT! chamber looks serious! The Anova one looks cheap to me. Like not good quality. I hope they start popping up in stores to put my eyes on them in person.
M_L-H.P.A.

Post by M_L-H.P.A. »

Lunchbox wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:55 am Whoa, that MEAT! chamber looks serious! The Anova one looks cheap to me. Like not good quality. I hope they start popping up in stores to put my eyes on them in person.
You are welcome to check out the tank. Let me know.