New Features List

Bug reports, technical questions and how-tos
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

This thread lists features and modifications as they're added, along with descriptions and instructions.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Arizona Republic | azcentral.com
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

The forum is now Tapatalk enabled. Tapatalk is an app for browsing the forum on mobile devices.

http://www.tapatalk.com
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

The spammers were already upon us, so I found an unconventional CAPTCHA mod that seems to be working really well. Rather than entering characters or numbers (which can be read by spambots), it asks you to sort items into two columns by clicking and dragging. Some examples:
  • Italian Food or Korean Food
  • Pasta Shape or Steak
  • Iron Chef Japan or Iron Chef America
  • Used To Make Hollandaise or Not Used To Make Hollandaise
It's been operating for two days, and we haven't had a spammer in that time. Plus, I find it amusingly thematic.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

To make adding photos to your posts a little easier, on a trial basis, I've enabled attachments. This will be a whole wackyton easier than having to upload your photos to another site and link to them. I might have to scrap it if there are any unforeseen issues, but let's give it a try and see how it goes. Here's how it works:

When you compose a post, beneath the text window, you'll see a tab labeled "Upload attachment." Click it.
On this tab, browse to select your photo, and then click "Add the file."
Your photo will be uploaded to the server, and its name will now be shown directly beneath the text window. Any text you enter in the "File comment" field will be displayed beneath the photo in italics when the post is completed. Click "Place inline" to enter the code into your post (otherwise the photo will be shown in a clunky and ugly box at the bottom of the post).
When you submit the post, the code will be replaced by the photo attachment.
Please note the following restrictions on images:

The maximum filesize is 256Kb, but please, as a matter of honor, do whatever you can to keep your filesize low. If you have access to Photoshop, "Save For Web" is your best friend.
The maximum image dimensions are 600x600 pixels.
I'm a little new to this feature myself, so if you encounter any issues, let me know.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

I got a report that somebody was having trouble uploading an avatar due to the small file size limit. This wasn't by design, I just hadn't changed the default. But it was pretty small, so I upped it to 50Kb. That should be plenty for a file with those dimensions.

If anybody still has any trouble uploading an avatar, let me know.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

I've added Facebook and Twitter pages to the user profile.

If you go to the User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab, you can now enter your Facebook and Twitter page. Then, icons that link to your Twitter and Facebook pages will appear under your avatar next to every post, as well as in private messages and other menus.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

This isn't a new feature, but it just went through a bit of an under the hood restructuring, so I thought it would be a good opportunity to point it out.

On the top line of every post, you'll see a small Twitter and Facebook icon. Clicking on these icons makes it very easy to share a post via Facebook or Twitter.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

As you might have noticed, if attachments are uploaded to a post but not placed inline, they're tacked onto the end of the post in a big white box labeled "Attachments" that could be described as... ugly.

No more!

Attachments are now cleanly displayed at the bottom of a post. You can, of course, place them inline at any other point in the post as you did before.

Also, the user-entered caption will still appear, but in the case of images, I've done away with the second line containing the filename, file size and number of times downloaded. I doubt this was information anybody found useful, and it just cluttered things up. Here is a sample:
Attachments
zaidismixedgrill.jpg
Mixed Grill @ Zaidi's Grill
zaidismixedgrill.jpg (74.94 KiB) Viewed 772 times
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

PDFs have now been enabled as attachments. They can be attached the same as images, and will appear at the bottom of the post unless otherwise placed inline. I thought this might be useful for passing along menus and such. Please note that the file size limit for PDF attachments is 2Mb. Here is a sample:
Attachments

[The extension pdf has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

Finally!

I think we finally have a resolution for uploading larger images.

When uploaded as attachments, images that exceed the maximum size will now be automatically reduced so that the largest dimension (width or height) is 800 pixels. A few notes on this:
  • This is a processor-intensive feature, so please note that when uploading a large image, it could take 10-20 seconds for the server to complete the action.
  • Due to memory limitations, there is a limit to how large of an image the server can resize. I do not know the precise cutoff, but I think I've allocated enough memory that problems, if any pop up, should be rare. If you go to upload a very large image and get an error, most likely your photo is too big for the server to handle.
  • Those who are sticklers for image quality might still prefer to resize on their own. The automatic resize should do an adequate job of resampling your image, but it is no substitute for a good image editing program.
  • This does not work on avatars. Just post attachments. Avatar resizing is in the works.
I've tested this a little, but not extensively. So if anybody encounters any issues, please drop me a line.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

You can now embed YouTube videos.

To do so, use the [youtube] tags, or the button at the top of the posting window. In between the tags, enter the YouTube video ID, which is the alphanumeric string after the equals sign in the video's url. For example, if the URL for the YouTube video is this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPtAa5BNXZY

...then putting this text in your post...

Code: Select all

[youtube]XPtAa5BNXZY[/youtube]
...will result in this:

Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

Now, when you add an avatar, if the image dimensions are too large, they'll automatically be downsampled to the maximum size of 90x90. There's a theoretical limit to how large the image can be for the resize function to handle it (please don't test this), but I think the limit's large enough that I'd be very surprised if anybody hit it.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

7 years ago

You can now set your profile so that other users may contact you via email.

When enabled, to the right of every post under the user's avatar, there will be an envelope icon that will send that user an email. To enable this feature, click on "User Control Panel" on the left side of the header bar, then "Board preferences," and change "Users can contact me by e-mail:" to yes.

IMPORTANT: IF YOU SELECT YES, THE EMAIL ADDRESS YOU USED TO REGISTER WILL BE PUBLICLY VIEWABLE TO ALL REGISTERED USERS OF THE SITE

For new users, this option defaults to "No." Furthermore, as a precaution since the email button was previously deactivated globally, this option has been reset to "No" for all existing users. If you previously set this to "Yes," you will need to do so again to enable others to contact you via email.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

You can now send private messages to multiple recipients, up to 20. As long as we don't have problems with abuse or spam, I think we'll be able to leave it in place.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

I've just added a new tag to make it easier to add photos directly from Instagram. Here's how to use it:
  • Pull up the Instagram photo and look at the URL.
  • Find the last alphanumeric string in the URL, immediately preceding the final slash. For example, if the URL is "http://instagram.com/p/eVkFXKNU1Y/", the part you want is the "eVkFXKNU1Y".
  • Insert the following code into the post, using this part of the URL:

Code: Select all

[insta]eVkFXKNU1Y[/insta]
  • And this will drop the photo directly into the post like so:

Note that this does not actually upload the photo to the PHXfn server, so if the URL ever changes or the photo is removed from Instagram, the photo will no longer display on PHXfn. The only way to ensure that the photo link can never be broken is to download the Instagram photo to your computer, then upload it as an attachment ("Upload attachment" tab, right below the main text box when you're posting).
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

Instagram has been added to the profile social media options. If you go to the User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab, there should now be a field for Instagram, just as there is for Twitter, Facebook, etc. Adding Instagram here will also add an Instagram button alongside the other social media buttons beneath your avatar on every post.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

6 years ago

A third PHXfn Twitter feed has been added, called @PHXfnEvents. It will be a hand-curated feed that only covers events and gatherings, posting all new gatherings, and perhaps occasionally a reminder the day before or day of. The regular @PHXfoodnerds feed almost never has any event info, so following @PHXfoodnerds and @PHXfnEvents will not, with very rare exception (announcement of a really big event like the potluck, for example) be redundant. And of course, there's still the @PHXfoodnerdsXL unabridged fire hose feed.

www.twitter.com/PHXfnEvents
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

5 years ago

Photo upload and push notifications via Tapatalk have now been enabled.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

4 years ago

Multiple photo/file uploads are now possible. When adding a photo or file, click the plus sign next to the "Filename" field to add a second file. When all of the files have been selected and comments entered, they can be uploaded simultaneously.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic
Skillet Doux

4 years ago

The maximum size for file and photo uploads has been substantially increased. As before, I'm not certain where the precise cap is, but I don't anticipate any issues. If you hit a cap and get an error message, please post about it in the Nuts and Bolts forum.
Dominic Armato
Dining Critic